Do you/would you carry a boat around Aus

Submitted: Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 19:27
ThreadID: 24430 Views:3289 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

For those that have travelled around Aus do you think it's worth taking a boat with you?? I know it's pretty subjective but I really can't decide. I'm talking about something I can tow behind a 4x4 with a slide on camper. So around 14 foot plus with maybe a 30hp motor. Alternatively a smaller boat on a camper trailer as I'm not sure yet on the final sleeping arrangments.

I know I could use it up the Qld coast but whether I'd catch more than the person off the bank is debatable. On our last trip to Cape Melville etc most of the boaties I spoke to were catching nothing where as we got a feed most days.

But what about in other states?? I know a lot of the grey nomads have the roof top tinnie but I guess I'm left wondering if they are used or not. Plus until you get used to area you have to be pretty lucky to catch much so I'm back to thinking I can catch just as much and fill in just as much time off the beach or the bank of a creek.

Thought about just hiring when we get to a place but most of the places we try to get to are pretty remote or small so couldn't hire one

Any thoughts or views are appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: neilvin - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 19:45

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 19:45
We have just finished a 2yr trip around Oz. We took a 3.4 m boat on the roof, started off with a 9.8hp motor then after a few months we upgraded to an 18hp.
Taking the boat was worth it for us, but we do like our fishing. Will definitley be with us on the next trip. wouldn't feel right without one....to many places to explore by boat.
Regards
Neil
AnswerID: 118825

Reply By: Tessysdad - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 20:43

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 20:43
We took a tinnie on the roof last year when we toured the Kimberley. We are planning to begin an around Oz trip next year and will definitely take the tinnie. Its not much trouble or expense to take it and if you are at a place where fishing from the beach/river bank will get you a feed then you haven't lost much. If you are at a place where a boat is needed and you haven't got it.........bugger!! Having said that, don't let the remoteness of an area put you off the idea of being able to hire a dinghy. Its surprising how many out of the way places have them for hire. BTW, a canoe is worth thinking about if you like bird watching in creeks and rivers, but these also are quite often available for hire.
Happy camping,
Mike and Jan.
AnswerID: 118833

Reply By: DEANO WA - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:33

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:33
in WA and NT I wouldnt be without a boat but it depends on how serious your brand of fishin is. i tow a 5.1 c/console but i REALLY enjoy my fishin. the boat also doubles as a trailer(not tooooooo much weight now!). we have similar setup to you and beleive it to be the best for uor lifestyle. just make sure your trailer is bulletproof.
AnswerID: 118845

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:18

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:18
Is your trailer a brand name or purpose built?? This is one of the ideas we have as well, get some of the weight off the car into the trailer. What sort of vehicle do you have?

Thanks
FollowupID: 374071

Follow Up By: DEANO WA - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:01

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:01
sorry for the delay(damn this work thing, interupting my social life). the trailer I made myself for EXTREME off roading and i have a GU Patrol 3.0td dual cab convert. originally were going to build a slide on after having one prev but have gone for a tray top camper as less weight/windage.
FollowupID: 374112

Follow Up By: Austravel - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:06

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:06
Thanks for the info. Know what you mean about work, holidays finish this Friday.
FollowupID: 374224

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 22:42

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 22:42
This adds a whole new dimension to the trip. It's obvious that you will get great use anywhere around the Oz coastline as opposed to the central desert regions. I have not taken a boat (yet) and have tried fishing many shorelines especially up north and it's very frustrating knowing sometimes there is great water but you can't access it by land. Also it's not really comfortable in the croc country walking through Mangroves trying to reach a stretch of water.

I'm not really happy with the idea of canoes in croc country either - crocs are very territorial and from below the water a paddling canoe could look not dissimilar to another croc from below.

If your a mad keen -- go the tinnie.
AnswerID: 118869

Reply By: Grumblebum and Dragon (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 00:39

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 00:39
Got a 2.6 m Zodiac inflatable with a 5 hp Mariner two stroke short shaft. Boat 33 Kg motor 21 kg fold into a small bag about 950 x 480 x 350 - or something close. The great thing is the permanently mounted wide plastic sand wheels on the trasom, just a 'click' and they are locked into place. Dead easy for a stroll across the sand to the water - more better than a roof mounted tinnie. Runs on the smell of an oily rag. Comes with a five year warranty as well plus three years on the motor - whole rig only cost about $3250. Lives in the back of the cruiser or sometimes in the vast stowage hatch on the Bushtracker.

Cheers
AnswerID: 118886

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:21

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:21
Also wondered about this option, I'm guessing it'd only be usable in small estuaries is that right?

Thanks
FollowupID: 374073

Reply By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:16

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:16
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
AnswerID: 118924

Reply By: Wheelerdog - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:28

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:28
i only really travel to go fishing!!!!!!! so answer is yes. i tow a 4.3m stacer barra elite with 40hp yammie 4stroke.

i reckon a 3.5m v nose punt with a 15hp is about the smallest you would want to go, especially for longer distaces on northern territory rivers. shop around for the lightest weight to make it easier to go on the roof and make sure it has 1.6mm bottom. some of the roof toppers are thinner which is to flimmsy.
AnswerID: 118932

Reply By: Member - John (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 17:35

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 17:35
We decided on a portabote - bit more fiddly but minimal wind drag - outboard mounts on the trailer.

lives on the roof rack or top of trailer - only weighs 26kg - 3.2mt
tougher than an inflatable - no need to pump up - but 10mins to put together.

goes surprising well with a 5hp (which has an inbuilt fuel tank)

as the name implies - very portable and we have a boat wherever we may roam.

www.portabote.com

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 118956

Reply By: Austravel - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:08

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:08
Thanks for the ideas and views.
AnswerID: 119085

Sponsored Links