<font color=red> Hiclone? </font>

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2444 Views:2702 Replies:16 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Has anybody got any figures on the fuel savings with Hiclone?
I would appreciate some feedback.. Thanks..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
Do a search on the Overlander forums.

If Hiclones were any good, they would fit them to new vehicles. Hiclones are like all supposed fuel improvment devices - witchcraft.

The best fuel saving device is your right foot. Don't roar away from traffic lights and stop streets etc; don't drive so agressively, just calm down a few notches and relax while driving. You will be *amazed* at how much fuel you save.
AnswerID: 8875

Follow Up By: Voxson - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

i do the above "savings" and was just wondering if there is more?
FollowupID: 4390

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

It is like fuel additives, magic magnets, boxes with the mental tin in etc. etc. There is no fuel additive that you can add to your fuel or mechanical device that will improve fuel consumption. If there was, the fuel companies would add it to the petrol and the car manufacturers would build it into cars. Anything an oil company or vehicle manufactures could use in advertising to show an improvement in fuel consumption they would to boost sales.
FollowupID: 4391

Reply By: Truckster - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

I think it depends on the car.

99% of people I know got their money back on them.
But there is 1 or 2 people on the planet(one is the guy floggging them) that say the DO something.

Most on the patrol list say burn a $100 note to light a Cuban Cigar is as good....

YMMV
AnswerID: 8883

Reply By: mudgutz - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00
i dont see how a device thats put into the air intake line....which in my opinion can only serve to further restrict air flow can claim to save fuel
hiclone .....hoax i think.....
AnswerID: 8895

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Here is an interesting little side note. It has been long documented that hiclones aren't very effective in Toyota's, particularly late model Landcruisers (1FZ-FE).Well, a little while ago I had to pull my air filter housing out to run some electrical cables and lo and behold, in the air inlet is what can only be described as a "swirling device" built into the housing! Maybe there is something to these little devices and Mr Toyota has already got into the act! It may be argued that this "device" is there to filter large objects entering the air box, but why would it then be angled to induce swirling, as oppossed to making a simple "straight" filter. My instincts say Toyota have found a minor power gain and that fitting a Hiclone upsets what the factory have already worked out and built into the vehicle. Any other idea's? CHEERS!
AnswerID: 8905

Follow Up By: Member - Paul- Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
I found a similar device in the guard of my nk pajero. in what they call the boom box (?) an item that looked like a hiclone. this han since been removed & a snorkel refitted. I can't say I have noticed any difference in the economy or power. which by the way are usually very good.
15.5lt/100km average (3500 dohc). the ony noticiable thing is a noisier air intake. it seems to resonate at certain revs.
FollowupID: 4431

Follow Up By: Janset - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Paul.
I have a 75 Series Troopie and had a snorkel fitted some time ago. I also have fitted a Unifilter oil-able foam rubber element, and yes, the noise did increase.

By accident I discovered something. I found that the oiled element was getting the dirtiest opposite the snorkel intake, in fact it got quite caked in dirt.

I then constructed a baffle out of tin that wraps part way around the element for about 4 inches directly in front of the snorkel intake.

In effect, it was a deflector that deflected the dirty air around the outside of the element rather than letting it collect in one place.

My deflector worked just great and the dirt was evenly distributed around the element.

BONUS: What I also achieved as a bonus, the snorkel noise was reduced to about half. I do not know how this reduced the noise only that it did.

Regards
FollowupID: 4444

Reply By: voxson - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for the feedback.... I am not into burning $100 notes so i will keep it in the moth hostel for another meaningful invention....
AnswerID: 8906

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

From personal experience and that of others: Hiclones help boost power in carby engines, but would be of less benefit in EFI vehicles.

The fuel saving was very insignificant in my carby engined 3.0 litre patrol, but still worth it for the power increase (used sparingly - buy handy when needed).
AnswerID: 8911

Reply By: Nifty,, - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

I have a friend who had a hiclone installed in his 80 series turbo diesel for years and said he hadn't seen any improvement in economy or performance until he took it out, then he said there was a marked decline in performance but no difference in economy.
AnswerID: 8914

Reply By: Member - Cruiser1 - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Over the last 12 months I've read lots of these comments on different sites. To my knowledge, nobody has been able to provide evidence that these things work but everyone has a mate who had one that did/didn't work.

And so many have claimed that they've got their money back that there must be a shedload of slightly used Hiclones hiding somewhere in this country.

Am I the only one who would not consider such additions unless I got some before and after dyno figures as part of the deal?

Why don't the manufacturers run some tests with a reputable tuner?
Imagine how many more they could sell if the things had some kind of evidence backing them up!
But for that to happen, they'd have to make them work first.......:)

If I'd bought all the power and economy gadgets I've seen and heard about over the years, I'd be able to get from Melbourne to Darwin on half a tank by now......
AnswerID: 8918

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

The reason they cannot provide dyno figures or test reports by reliable motoring organisations like the RACQ, RACV etc. (better leave NRMA off the list) is that the devices do not work.

If you had bought all the gadgets, you would not use half a tank, you would be selling fuel back to the fuel companies.
FollowupID: 4429

Reply By: Maria - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

I put a Hiclone in my 97 Diesel HiLux and found absolutely no difference in fuel consumption. After 12 months I took it out for several months and then put it back in, just to double check. Definitely no change. I have heard they don't work as well in diesel engines as in petrol ones, but I certainly wouldn't recommend spending the money to find out. Not worth it.
AnswerID: 8922

Reply By: Derek - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Voxson. You may be interested to read my 2 bobs worth which I posted to "Darrin asked about fuel catalyst". It explains how the device works plus a bit more. Copya, Derek.
AnswerID: 8958

Reply By: brian - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00
have a look at latest 4wd monthly mag,interesting results between 17% to24% fuel savings in their test.
AnswerID: 8965

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

If that was 10% truth it would be on the front page of every newspaper in the world. Those claims are plain wrong. It is just not possible and obviously a paid for advertorial (read bordering on fraud).
FollowupID: 4465

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

I think to do a proper comparison, you need 12 months.

You need to do it in the car, out of the car, re do it, dynos and long term gains if any..... You can drive smooth for 1 week on a test and everything will point to wet dreams and magic.....

Just another way to look at it
AnswerID: 8970

Reply By: Axel + Karen - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

Better than hyclone is go the H2O ,just ask JOH,,,,20 odd years and still waiting.
AnswerID: 8978

Reply By: voxson - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for all the feedback. I have read them all and i have removed the thought of trying one.

If it wasnt for all the reponses i would have gone down the money burning trail.

Regards.......
AnswerID: 9054

Reply By: Peter - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00
Oziexplorer, I am a little disappoited that you are so strong in your comments against the Hyclone given that you admit to never trying one.

As for throwing money away there are numerous reports on many sites such as this of people who have bought them, been disappointed and returned them for a refund - enough for me to be satisfied that the refund offer is genuine.

As for wether they improve power or economy I agree that the only true way of knowing is to try a vehicle on the dyno with and without the hyclone which is what "A current affair" did with the hyclone and also some other gizmos (can't recall the names) about a year ago.
The test vehicle was an injected Ford Falcon and from memory there was a slight increase (<1%) in power but relatively important reductions in polutants.

I imagine ( as someone else has already said) that it depends on the particular vehicle ( and engine type) as to wether the benefits are worth the investment.
AnswerID: 9279

Reply By: indentelect - Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00
Hi. I had a 92 v6 jackaroo until early last year. I fitted a hiclone as the fuel efficiency was lousy. (av 18 l/100k) I also fitted a snorkle to improve breathing. Yhis process required the removal of the facyory fitted "hiclone" look alike device. I could not notice any difference in fuel figures around town but did notice a slight improvement in power when the revs were up. (this is typical 3.2 jackaroo, enough power but no torque especially down low in the rev range)This benifit was from yhe snorkle as the air intake was from behind guard.
Ray
AnswerID: 10057

Sponsored Links