car thief

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:07
ThreadID: 24444 Views:2243 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Woke up yesterday morning to find to police outside the house with a videocamera filming the inside of my car.
My first thought was to flee the country but I haven't committed any major crimes recently so I thought I'd go and see what they were up to first!
Turns out my car had been broken into overnight and they had taken the UHF which was all that was in it. The police had picked up the thief somewhere overnight and he had spilt the beans about all the cars he had broken into overnight. They were in the process of driving around the neighbourhood with him as he pointed out the various scenes of crime and what he took.
I should get my radio back in the next day or two!!
Good result eh.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:20

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:20
Very good result. In fact your extremely lucky! Go buy a lotto ticket. ;-)
AnswerID: 118911

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:23

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:23
Hi Rihearn,
Good news that you got the item back. Sadly, you'll probably find you're out of pocket with insurance after the body damage is fixed, esp if you have an excess. Unlikely that the thief will offer recompense. Been down this road before.
Gerry
AnswerID: 118913

Reply By: trendy - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:24

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:24
Good to hear the result bad to hear it got to this stage. I would love to be able set the underside of my door handle to be live with electricity to really shock theives, but the do good police (civil libertarians) would have me arrested and thrown in gaol.
Whilst this theif is willing to coff up ask him if he done a job on a pajero at a motel in Ashfield some years ago. If so could you get my computer, speakers ect ect back.
Thanks in advance victim of crime.
PS find out his address and give him a flogging for me too
AnswerID: 118914

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:30

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:30
Car thieves are scum and a flogging is well warranted IMO. However leaving a computer inside a car in a car park is almost inviting attention isn't it. Of course you should be able to leave whatever you like inside you car and have it there when you return.
FollowupID: 374057

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:45

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:45
"PS find out his address and give him a flogging for me too"

I had a car knocked off 4 years ago and they found the bloke and the car trashed in a counntry town (the name escapes me). The town copper had no problems giving me the theifs address in the city.

I never did go around to pay him a visit.

I know he had kids cause there was new toy wrappers in the back seat along with Red Rooster kiddie meal packets. I didn't go cause I didn't want to make his childrens life any harder than it already was.

Sittin here now typing this I half wish I had of bashed the daylights out of him but ... I think I did the right thing.

These things TEST your thoughts eh?
FollowupID: 374062

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:38

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:38
Worst ideaiM I have dealt with "disadvantaged youths" and their problem is they dont know what a consequence of action is coppers dont dish it out schools cant and by the time I deal with them at the swimming pool they just dont get it. If you had flogged his old man in front of him and explained why that would be the only thing he learned in his life. Guy locally was jailed for shooting a "disadvanteged youth" in the arse after repeated breakins. All the Rellies kicked uo a stink crying rascism instead of doing what they should do and set the kid straight. Not long after he damb near clubbed an innocent man to death with a 4by 2 FOR HIS PIZZA where were the rellies then!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 374107

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 18:12

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 18:12
Yeah I remember that that little fhead, the sport’s centre owner was facing Jail+ loss of rifle license for shooting the kid in the ass with a .22 Rat-shot and with In a week the kid was holding some guy up with a star-picket for his pizza.

They need to start taking a hardline on this stuff on parent’s and kids.

Where were the rellies then=bleepor in the process of gettingbleep.
FollowupID: 374142

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:42

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:42
I find it hard to believe the bacon didnt wake you up before filming your car on your property without permission..
but then they are above the law I suppose.
AnswerID: 118918

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:31

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:31
Sounds like you've got a carrot up your coit about Police. Let me guess, you were or still are a crook? Maybe a juvenile delinquent in your time?

I thought it was very nice of them not to wake someone up just to film their car, which they are entitled to do under common law anyway. On the other hand, maybe they should have just not worried about it, surrendered the UHF to the government and let the crook go.

By they way, everyone has permission to be in your unsecured front yard until you revoke their consent.
FollowupID: 374075

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:51
Oh C'mon, they caught the bloke!

If they have to twist a few grey laws in the process, I'll turn a blind eye. And maybe they didn't anyway.

The real problem is that this caught theif with video and red handed and he will just get a rap on the knuckles from the Courts.
FollowupID: 374078

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 13:28

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 13:28
Jack

I have very little respect for the bacon... They are nothing but corrupt scum.

I was in a hit and run, had 4 witness' including the bloke behind me that saw the whole thing, the bloke beside me, one coming the opposite direction, and another. The prosecuter didnt even speak to me AT all and the bloke got off scott free - not even a warning, fine NOTHING..
... and my life has been s hit ever since - his has probably been wonderful..
FollowupID: 374096

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:19

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:19
D Jack,
dont think they have the right to film on private property with out permission....we are not talking about a homicide or drug growing here its a simple larcency having had taken place......maybe if onwers were away and they needed to get things secured till owners returned...but in this case they needed approval to film.

I dont think Police have right to enter as they want unless there is good grounds for suspicion of criminal activity....in this case there was no suspicion of criminal activity taking place....it was after the event !
FollowupID: 374102

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:38

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:38
Truckster,
I've just read your post and follow-up after D-Jack had a stab at you. I know a few coppers and they are decent blokes and sheilas. I reckon you've hit the nail on the head in your follow-up to D-Jack; but I don't think you've even realised what you said, so I'll quote it back to ya.....

"The prosecuter didnt even speak to me AT all and the bloke got off scott free - not even a warning, fine NOTHING.. "

The cops on the beat do their job as best they can within their (quite strict) limitations. They charged the dude who smashed into you and it was the phryggin court system that let you down. Believe me, the cops on the street are as frustrated as you and me when they see the mongrels they spend time catching, get off with a slap on the wrist or even get off altogether cos of some smug lawyer who found a loop hole etc.

Gone (unfortunately) are the days when Mr Plod could give a 14 year old a reef up the coight with his size 12 Blunney and tell him to get home and stop smoking behind the footy-oval dunny or he'd tell the kids old man etc. Now it's all this touchy-feely krap....don't want to upset the poor little dear's ego or he might start wetting the bed etc.

Anyway dude, thanks for your message of sympathy to me the other day.... did you get any shyte out of the sump with that stuff I sent over to ya??

Roachie
FollowupID: 374106

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:45

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:45
no they dont Nudey they have the right to enter any propery any time if they believe a crime has been commited and they need no warrent and you cant ask them to leave I have had the Bacon do it to me 6 am sun morning coz they thought a crim was at my place he wasnt) as a firearms owner you should know in SA they also have the right to barge into you r place any time day or month for no more than a concocted reason no warrent required. Also filming of private property is certainly allowed (christmas lights) and people can enter your property any time or they would be arresting the gas man every day
FollowupID: 374111

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:04

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:04
my understanding is that they have the right to come and check the security of my firearms within reasonble times...not at 6am! (7am up to 9pm I believe is reasonable)

they need a bloody good reason to do it any other time! eg reasonable suspicion that I dont have them secure.....

will ask copper at club when i next see him

filming of private property from outside my boundary is allowed...but not from within unless I give consent......

FollowupID: 374115

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:05

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:05
in 1996 the new SA laws came in and from memory one of the things was they were allowed to enter the premisis of a firearm owner if they believed a crime had been commited. Same as they can pull anyone over if they think they might have been drinking - they dont need a real reason. Take it from someone that has had it happen you have less rights than you think. BTW I have no criminal record not even a speeding fine since 1996 and have pased every drug and alchol test I have ever had but I still had the coppers barging in no warrent nothing
FollowupID: 374125

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:01

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:01
You know, not so many years ago for stealing a mans horse you got a brand new hemp tie and a nice balaclava!!
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 118923

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:01

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:01
Geoff,

Here Here, agree with you hole heartidly.
FollowupID: 374173

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 11:38

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 11:38
Mate, very happy that you at least got your radio back.

A few years back I had my car broken into and they took radio, Oakley sunglasses, camera and a cordless shaver. Something like the shaver that cost me $200 to replace, they probably sold for $20 down the pub or at cash converters.

Not the worst outcome for you, but unpleasant all the same.

Stay safe,

Smocky.
AnswerID: 118930

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:42

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:42
I made it a policy of mine to well ahh hit? people attempting to sell me stolen goods.

FollowupID: 374230

Reply By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:10
did you ask the coppers if they'd turn a blind eye for a minute or two.......
AnswerID: 118939

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:31
which state areyou in?????? here in Kalgoorlie I would challange anywhere to prove they have a slacker police force. My house mate (58 year old ) had them trying to smash the back door in after they had raped and pillaged her car she had to chase them off with an ornamental sword. They were caught but nothing happened. Like the guy who I identified throwing rocks at my car nothing well he went on to kiddy rape and much grander things (might be just 18 now) I sat on a jury and ended up aquiting a man of Arson because the local coppers had not even put together a semblance of a prosecution despite there being no possiblility of it being anyone else!!!!!!!. The powers that be have moved the homes west houses out of their ghetto and distrubuted them amongst law abiding citezans !!!!!!!!! now no where safe breakins fights screaming to all hours 10 year old kids roaming streets at 10am school days !!!!!!!!!!!! HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP
AnswerID: 118940

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:31
OK rihearn...

Fill us in on the location exactly in relation to your house and the car as a few people here are speculating on wether the coppers were doing the right thing by you or not as to the filming.

Make sure you fill in the police report properly as you might have just noticed your NEW jacket and fishing gear from the boot missing too.

But back to business. Were the Police on your property? (land that is).

AnswerID: 118941

Reply By: Member - Chris L (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 19:12

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 19:12
Would like to see anyone break into my 4wd on my property. My faithful friend does not ask any questions . he will stop you until i get up out of bed or when i get home then he will let you go thats if he's not hungry . i have no fence and no borders but he does not go past the letter box . Having a dog is good for my family because he will always protect them and our property cheers chris
AnswerID: 118971

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:22

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:22
Got to agree on that , best insurance is a WELL trained 60kg Rottweiler and the council issue sign declaring dangerous dog , ours has the habit of licking people to death ,unless of course a low life comes ,then its hold on till master or mistress gives the nod.
FollowupID: 374279

Sponsored Links