Jullaten to Kuranda 4x4

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:49
ThreadID: 24447 Views:3675 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Anyone know anything about the 4x4 track from Jullaten to Kuranda?? What it's like, any access permits etc, etc.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troopy22 - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:09
Austravel

You could be referring to Black Mountain Road. The reason I'm not sounding too certain is that I came in on it at the Kennedy Highway end near the Barron River bridge and followed it for about 15-17km before turning back. It was mid February and it was very wet, muddy and slippery. Now would be a good time to give it a try. I went over Quaid Road heading west for about 3-5 km before turning back. I was told it goes through to the Mareeba-Mt Molloy Road and comes out near the lakes which are on Quaid's property.

Apparently there is a connected road that heads north and takes you to Hartley Falls (up behind Hartley Creek/Wangetti) which are supposed to be worth seeing after a bit of rain.

It's probably a good idea to get a permit, they don't cost anything - try DNR in Atherton (07 4091 1844). If it's QPWS or someone else they'll point you in the right direction.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 119011

Follow Up By: Troopy22 - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 07:53

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 07:53
Austravel

The old subconscious was working overtime during the night and pointed out to me that its the Quaid Road that runs from Hartley Creek (near the crocdile farm) and possibly past/near Hartley Falls through the forest to the Mareeba-Mt Molloy Road. I understand this road, which is bitumenised and lane marked, was privately built some years ago without QPWS permission. It now has a series of locked gates along it to prevent general usage.

Now the track I was on (Black Mountain Road) almost certainly was heading in the Julatten direction. I have no idea where it comes out.

Hope this helps.
FollowupID: 374206

Follow Up By: Austravel - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:16

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:16
Thanks for that. I'll give them a ring and check it out for the next trip north. Noticed it on the maps when we were up there last week and thought it might be a good run.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 374226

Follow Up By: Spade Newsom - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 18:06

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 18:06
The Quiad Road has been blocked!!!!
That was the best road over the mountains in the whole North.
Next they will make him drain the lakes and replant all the trees.
Still waiting for the resort and the golf course to be built on the lakes.
Mr Quaid was a mate of Mr Hinze and Mr Skase wasn't he?

QPWS like to keep all their tracks secret. Try bailing up some local youths on motor bikes from Julatten. They will know every track backwards.

Spade Newsom
FollowupID: 374301

Follow Up By: Austravel - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 18:46

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 18:46
Thanks Spade. Wish I had the time and "money" to head up there now.
FollowupID: 374310

Sponsored Links