Nissan TB42 Carby on 90 Maverick

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2449 Views:7709 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have had the carby redone, about 10 months ago. I cannot get it to run properly on steep hard hills off road. It gets a relly rough idle on very steep hills. It's Ok while it going. But if I have to stop I runs rough and if it is turned off to retart it is a B@#$!. Blows out heaps of unburnt fuel. It was good b4 the carby was done, they have done some changes that have improved it but no where as good as it was b4 it was rebuilt. We used to have a 308 with a rochester in a MQ and that would run on all angles. Anyone out there with their thoughts, experience with this or suggestions?
Ta Red Rover
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00
Holley now make a 4wd specific carby.... expensive but works.

other options are another one off a TB42 since same motor... they should be a dime a dozen since TBs are thirsty and get replaced a lot.
AnswerID: 8909

Follow Up By: Red Rover - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks I'll check that out with Holley. I assume when u say they get replaced a lot it is because they upgrade to a different motor ie V8 or Turbo Diesel chasing either power and/or better economy(or more power for same economy)?
FollowupID: 4428

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
yea get replaced for power, economy, and everything really!

I do know also of lots going for the TD42 diesel out of the patrol, cheapest conversion out of the lot..... Nissan into Nissan.
FollowupID: 4435

Reply By: Gerry - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Red

I recently had a similar problem with my Patrol. Turned out to be the BCDD (boost controlled deceleration device - part of the carby) out of adjustmenton. This device allows additional fuel to enter the mixture during deceleration to reduce emissions, but if it gets out of ajustment it can allow fuel through at the wrong times. A symptom of this is that the motor seems to take longer than expected to return to idle, after revving to somewhere over 2000 rpm. It's easy to fix... on the side of the carb, near the rocker cover is a big, flat, round doover that sticks out and has a small rubber plug in it. Pop out the plug and you'll find a small adjusting screw. Turning the screw counter-clockwise will reduce the amount of fuel by-passed. If you turn it far enough (just a few turns), it will eventually disable the device altoghether (if running on LPG disabling is a good idea as emissions are low anyway). To adjust properly, check out your Gregory's - proper instructions are in there. Hope that helps mate.. Cheers
AnswerID: 8976

Follow Up By: Red Rover - Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Gerry,
Thats is very interesting cause when they did the carby they had the bcdd blocked off and also blocked at the air cleaner. I'll try your suggestion on the weekend and see what happens. Thanks Mate
FollowupID: 4546

Sponsored Links