What to buy

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 14:25
ThreadID: 24492 Views:2012 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings, I am in the market for a second hand,manual, turbo diesel 4wd and having difficulty deciding between 1998 Toyota Prado GXL, 2001 Holden Jackaroo SE and Mitsubishi Pajero 1999 GLX. I am new to 4wdriving and would appreciate some positive and negative feedback on these vehicles.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 14:27

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 14:27
Not a personal question, but how much you got to spend and what is the intended use?
AnswerID: 119106

Reply By: DaveF - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 14:31

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 14:31
It will be used predominantly as our family wagon. We visit the Flinders in SA annually and want to be able to enjoy the various 4wd only tracks. Also to explore other 4wd tracks in SA eg sand dunes near Beachport in the South east. $ wise up to $25,000
AnswerID: 119107

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 14:44

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 14:44
I used to live next door to someone who owned a TD Jackaroo and at that stage, they were the quickest TD in their class. He never had any problems with the Jack in 100,000 k's. Truth be told, he's had more problems with his 3L GU.

Price wise, the Toyota's probably the most expensive, but also will hold it's value. Plenty of accessories around for the Tojos as well.

I do not know to much about the TD Pajeros so I will leave it to someone who does. In the end, make sure it's checked over, has had a reasonable life and good service history. I would prefer lower k's and perfect service history over any perfect body vehicle anyday.

cheers.

FollowupID: 374252

Reply By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:34

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:34
I swapped a Jack ('98) for a Prado ('00) about a year ago, for me it was no contest, Prado won hands down. Same sort of requirement initially as you, price around the same. I bought the Prado initally to resell (well, thought I'd have a crack once in my life at it!) as I thought it was being sold extremely cheaply... After a couple of drives, I sold the Jack instead. The Jack I thought had a better finish, and almost build quality, but the Prado was bigger (a bit) a just felt better to drive in. The Jack skipped around a lot at the back over sudden bumps, to the point of a$$ing out sometimes, Prado did no such thing (suspension probably cause tho). Prado felt more like a truck, Jack more like a station wagon on steroids (but very easy to drive - the missus liked it). I also wanted constant 4wd. Prado better resale value, Jack are no longer made and I had great trouble selling mine.

No clue on Pajero.

Tonester
AnswerID: 119134

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 22:41

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 22:41
DaveF,
The choices you've posted my personal choice would be the Playdo. Depending on the cash you have available you might consider an early GU, watch out for all the little issues though as mentioned in several posts on this forum. The Playdo is an underestimated machine by all accounts, goes well off road. A lot depends what you want the vehicle for.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 119194

Reply By: DaveF - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 12:27

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 12:27
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Sounds as though the Prado is the way to go but gee they are still $$$ hungry. It could be between the Jackaroo & Pajero, I guess once I (and my wife) have taken a few for a drive I should be able to decide from that. This is a great forum and I got some good info from looking in the archive as well. All the Best.
AnswerID: 119423

Sponsored Links