Shockies..again. (Cofaps) or something like that

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 16:42
ThreadID: 24526 Views:5601 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Any one heard of Cofaps or Kofab or something like that in the Shock absorber circles?

Was told recently that these are'nt bad and reasonabley priced...anyone have any knowledge in this area?

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: banjodog - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:38

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:38
Andrew, I've fitted them, Terrain Tamer, to my '84 Hilux cab chassis - can't justify really expensive shocks on the old bus. Bought them from the Terain Tamer (Don Kyatt spares) outlet in Bne - so far very good.

Was told the std ones are exactly the same as the TJM Series 2000 std and the heavy duty or expanded body ones are exactly the same as TJM XGS shock - all from Cofap manufacturer.

Much cheaper too - bought the std ones last year for $80ea, the heavy duty were $95ea - could be more now. At the time I was quoted $135ea just for the std TJM Series 2000. I could not see any difference between the two.

Try - web site
AnswerID: 119297

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:12

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:12
Thanks Banjodog

So what's the actual name of them? I've never heard of Terrain Tamer!
FollowupID: 374428

Follow Up By: banjodog - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 20:10

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 20:10
Cofap shocks are made in South America - Mexio I believe and are sold world wide under various names like Terrain Tamer and the TJM stuff.

Terrain Tamer are advertised in most 4wd mags - so when th time came I looked up the one in Bris.

In WA it's -
Don Kyatt Spare Parts
118 Kewdale Rd
Kewdale WA 6105

Ph: 08 9353 4166 Opening Hours: M - F 8.30 to 5pm
Fax: 03 9353 4532 Sat 8.00 to 12pm

Worth at least a phone call.

FollowupID: 374430

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 20:53

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 20:53
Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow.

cheers
FollowupID: 374438

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 22:33

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 22:33
They maybe made by the same company, like OME and Monroe I think it is, but they wont be 1000klms close to each other.

TJM, OME, Toughdog etc are all made by other companies to their own specs, and quality levels. That costs money. So does a massive empire of stores.. :)
FollowupID: 374453

Follow Up By: banjodog - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:06

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:06
EFS shocks are Cofap branded too but I believe re-valved and a dearer price tag. EFS steering dampers are Cofap brand also.

All comes down to the price each individual likes to pay – and to some extent the old you “only get what you paid for” scenario. However, I’ve seen in my time the expensive shocks fail just as much as the cheaper ones.

Shocks are no different to tyres, batteries, turbos, winches – the list goes on. Some people have little or no issues and some people have had nothing but trouble on the same product.

But I think it all comes down to how the product was used as to how it performed - with this topic of Cofap brand shocks my experience has been good and I might update to the heavy duty ones (same as the TJM XGS) by the end of the year.

I’m in a position to get a trade discount, not a lot but some discount, plus the service was good where I bought the Terrain Tamer shocks – so I’ll buy from there again.

Other bigger name shops, did nothing but push a glossy brochure under my nose and up-talk their product with no real technical responses to my questions – and I don’t inform them of my trade qualifications to get a better deal or service either.

It’s just disappointing that the sales staff didn’t give me the right technical info and spoke to me like an idiot and some really bagged the competition – so what are they telling the general public that’s come in to spend their hard earned cash on the Saturday morning? Makes you wonder. Even when I questioned about product warranty I got a cold stare and that pretty well wrapped up the conversation from their end.

Shocks are again a personal choice no doubt some will only use Koni – end of story for them and no compromise but I unfortunately don’t have that luxury or buying power.

So for me the Terrain Tamer (Cofap brand) will suit me – even if they don’t outlast the Konis. Cheap enough to carry new ones as spares if tripping about – something I’ve yet to do – but mine get used on the farm and the black stuff.

PS - I was using the Gabriel Blue Ryder shocks but they failed after 10 months of normal use, got my money back on them, hence the reason I'm using Terrain Tamer ones - but I did check out the other well known brands too.

FollowupID: 374487

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:37

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:37
Peter from CyC loves them and has used them for years.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 119311

Reply By: pprass - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 22:47

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 22:47
I had Cofap's when they were called that and now have Terrain Tamers - their new name. Can't say that they are the best ever as I haven't had others to compare on the same vehicle, but I did have to have the front two TT's replaced after just 30K's as they apparently caused my Cooper Discovere S/T's to scallop. The fitter called the distributor who immediataley approved a replacement. Apparently there was a bad batch going around about a year ago.
Just been through central Aus - 7,700kms much of it over very tough corrugated tracks and the shockers appear to have held up ok.
AnswerID: 119361

Sponsored Links