Petrol / LPG duel fuel system

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 17:36
ThreadID: 24528 Views:3549 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the process of buying a 4WD for a west coast trip. I have narrowed my choices down to two Nissan GQ Patrols: 1) a 3L RB30 (petrol) and 2.) a 4.2L duel fuel petrol/LPG. Both are in excellent condition and the deciding factor has come down to the engine itself.

I am concerned about the availability of LPG first off. I am driving from Newcastle to Alice Springs, then north to Darwin and down along the west coast to Perth. I plan on driving the Gregory NP trek and Gibb River Road along the way. Although the 4.2L does have the duel fuel, the petrol tank was reduced in size to 50L (I think) with the LPG tank being roughly the same size. Would this size petrol tank be sufficient to get me from point A to B if LPG is unavailable? (that is if LPG availability is an issue at all) Obviously the price of LPG is advantageous, however I am wondering how often I could burn LPG along the way. The 3L has the standard petrol tanks.

Does anyone have an opinion on the 3L RB30 engine vs. the 4.2L in the Patrols?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boo - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:09

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:09
Evening Ryan,
Personaly I find it a no brainer, I drive a 94EFI GQ 4.2 and have the dual fuel in it. I find it fantastic. Not too sure about your fuel tank size as we have a 120litre gas tank which has around 90litres usable capacity and also have a 90 litre petrol tank, with the two of them we can certainly get to and from most places without too much worry. Considering the cost of fuel I would be looking at the 4.2 even if I had to swap the petrol tank out with a larger capacity one, as the saving on fuel being able to run on gas really makes it worth it. We dont find any difference in performance when running on gas and get around the same mileage per litre on both. There are several sites/postings on fuel availability for both petrol and gas so you may want to do a search and check the availability of gas and do a bit of pre trip fuel planning. But even if you needed to carry a couple of jerry cans to get you through the long hauls without gas, I would still recomend it.

This IS ONLY my view and there will certainly be several others with their own.
Good luck either way, let us know how ya go.
Go the trols.
AnswerID: 119304

Follow Up By: Uppy - Member - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:33

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:33
I agree with Boo, Ive got the same wagon as Boo ,but its not on gas .They are a great 4x4 ,I take jerries on long trips ,its no big deal.But will get another tank fitted when I can aforded it
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 374483

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:47

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 19:47
If you ask at servo's they can give you a leaflet showing LPG sites in your state. I'm sure the websites would also have information for Australia wide.

I think the only drama is one stretch of the Nullabor and some parts of NQ and NT.
AnswerID: 119317

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 20:11

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 20:11
its a no brainer(no offence)
go the 4.2 duel fuel.
the rb30 is pretty gutless(i know i own one)and uses as much as the 4.2 on petrol.
as for the smaller fuel tank just carry a couple of jerry cans where the distance is to far between fill ups.
lpg is available in most bigger towns.
the other thing to think about is an rb30 patrol is worth nothing so drive one and see if your happy with how the power goes and with the saving over a 4.2 you should be able to convert to lpg with change.
the rb30 are pretty bullet proof and do have a little power if reved hard.
cheers
AnswerID: 119325

Reply By: Grumblebum and Dragon (WA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 20:19

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 20:19
Go the dual fuel route and endvour to get bigger tanks. LPG supply is not really an issue and I live the the north of WA. I tow a very large heavy van - not a problen performance wise on gas - and as cheap as a diesel - even at 82c/l lpg price up here. Closer to civilisation where lpg prices are 40 - 50c/l you will be smiling every time you fill up.

GB
AnswerID: 119327

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 21:27

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 21:27
If you have your mind made up between these two,,, i would go the 4.2.....
The 3-litre is shocking up long hills in top or 4th gear....Absolutely no torque at all but plenty of power if you want to rev it like a V8 supercar......
Either of these cars on LPG will have their cylinder head problems one day when you dont expect it...(past experience).....
They both give around 20 litres per 100 on petrol.....
If you have a 50litre aux fuel tank you will expect approx 200kms or less before you are seriously looking for a fuel stop...

AnswerID: 119338

Reply By: crewser - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 09:23

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 09:23
Go the 4.2L the 3.0L is a slug. I used to own one (for about 4 weeks)
AnswerID: 119398

Sponsored Links