kia sorento

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 15:00
ThreadID: 24576 Views:3031 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
anyone know anything about these things? 2nd hand prices are attracative but...??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 16:36

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 16:36
Uncle,

I looked seriously at one just over a year ago. I ended up with a Terracan because it is a bit bigger.

The Sorento made the final 6 of a magazine 4wd of the year award if that means anything. It also won a three way comparo with a Pathfinder and something else that I can't remember. They have excellent performance.

I've not seen one used off road, but they should be quite capable. They do have low range. The front end, although IFS, has coil springs, not torsion bars, so a fair bit of lift should be possible.

I reckon they're worth a serious look.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 119568

Reply By: age - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 17:40

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 17:40
Fester2

Most of the running gear is all Mitsubishi stuff, so should not be too bad. I looked at one in detail as well. They go ok, but are a little poorly finished off inside.

Cheers
AnswerID: 119572

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 18:08

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 18:08
The eqipment level is fairly comprehensive - they have ABS, push button 4wd, cruise control, quite a bit of power from the V6.

Not a bad jigger at the price, If I were buying now I would probably go the jerrycan diesel but when the Sorento was launched it had no real competition.
AnswerID: 119575

Reply By: Alex01 - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 13:04

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 13:04
Purchased the Sorrento (New) 3 months ago.

I have been extremely happy with it. It's the wife's "Shopping Trolley" and my toy when I do some beach fishing 5-10 times a year. Beach escapades will come towards year end.

Looked at various cars over the last 9 months, summation:
Prado - Quality and 180L Fuel Tanks, $60K on road was too much though.
Pajero - Didn't consider it.
Patrol - Too much $$$, out of our price range.
Tucson - Wife was sold on it until we saw it in the flesh (way too small) and no low range
X-Trail - No Low Range, interior too funky, and have a look how the panels flex easily above the wheel arch
Tribute - No Low range and a little on the small side (interior wise)
Terracan - interior was bland, good size, Diesel was pushing the $50K mark.

Sorrento - getting 12.8 - 13.5L / 100km in the city. Haven't been out on the open road yet. Therfore getting 580 - 630km out of a 80L tank.

For $41K on road was able to get the car in Auto, side steps, Tow Bar, Fitted Sheepskins for $1,000 and a nice dark tint. The factory stereo is a nasty piece, so that was ripped out as well and put in a nice $1,000 head unit.

The biggest prob is the suspension. Car gets bent way out of shape too easily on normal everday, butumen. It jumps, shudders, skips etc.. Need to spend about $2K - $3K here. A larger fuel tank would have been nice as well.

All in all, very happy and even with the suspensions mods in the future, car comes to $45K on road, which is miles better than our favourite the Prado (maybe in 10 years?), which, with a few mods, would have been pushing the $65K mark.
AnswerID: 119761

Follow Up By: Alex01 - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 13:22

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 13:22
Forgot to add that the front bash plate is p!ss weak, only 2mm thick. Bottom of radiator, Oil sump and oil filter sits perilously close to it.

A work colleague with a Sorrento did some serious damage to the Radiator (punched a hole on the bottom) on the beach. He says he was taking it easy, somehow I don't believe him (he loves flogging his 4WD's).

Result - 6 week wait for Kia to ship a new Radiator over from Korea. Panel beater repairing the car is installing thicker Aluminium bash plate and reports that the shockies have bugger all travel in them (hence bottoming out on the beach). Quote for 30mm lift and better shokies was around $1,300. I believe the Coils need upgrading as well.

FollowupID: 374846

Reply By: Fester2 - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:38

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:38
thanks all,--they sound ok but think I'll save my bikkies and go back to toyota!!
AnswerID: 119801

Sponsored Links