Mounting a compressor

Submitted: Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 15:35
ThreadID: 24616 Views:1866 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Got an Opposite Lock blue tongue in a portable container.
Now i have an 80 series it would be great to have it under the bonnet.
Is this doable?
Cheers,
Scotty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: crewser - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 16:30

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 16:30
Ever thought of mounting it inside truck.? I mounted mine in the rear 1/4 panel behind wheelarch in my 80 series. There`s alot of wasted space behind the plastic trim. You can access compressor through the removable panel for tool kit .Also keep`s compressor out of dirt and mud etc.
AnswerID: 119785

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 16:45

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 16:45
I have a 80 series and have carried a "big Red" compressor for several years.
Mine is bolted down to a bit a wood (5 ply) which is pinned under my second battery between the battery and the grill. The wood extends out to the front from under the battery.

Been there for years and no problem. It is not permanently wired. I just unravel the lead and clip onto the battery. The air hose is kept in the back of the vehicle.
The compressor works fine and has topped up many a tyre in the desert (or at least after being in the desrt sand)

Hope you find a good position for yours. great equipment to carry.

Alan
AnswerID: 119788

Follow Up By: kev 57 - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:15

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:15
scotty I have my compressor mounted on passenger side behind battery between fuel filter and guard,92 td 80 series ,its been there about 4 years and had no problems.
kev
castlemaine
FollowupID: 374874

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:22

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:22
Bloody hell, putting inside the cab, what a nightmare. Can you imagine the kids reading a book in the back while your pumping your tyres up on a 40degree day? BRRRRRRRRRR, yeah they'd love that, do I even need to mention the missus??!!

Mines under the bonnet, here's a piccy:
!MPG:13!

You can hook the bluetounge up to a truck tank peice of cake, just get a pressure switch from ARB and hook it through a relay. You can see mine in the photo. I also used a $10 air manifold from supercreapy auto's to split the hoses off,
1: Dash mounted guage
2: Air horn solinoids (2)
3: Front mounted quick release connector
4: Air tank (mounted at the rear of the car on the chasis rail between the rear driver's bumper.
AnswerID: 119794

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:35

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:35
I've got a twin cab and mounted my blue tongue behind the rear seat. I put three big dobs of silicon about the size of golf balls and sat the compressor on top. I let it sit for a day and now it's got it's own rubber mounts, but I do admit it's a bit noisy inside. Rus.
AnswerID: 119812

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 19:21

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 19:21
If you run the compressor in the rear of the cab, it will reach all tyres, including the trailers with a standard length of airhose.

It's no more noisy than running mud terrains with the window down. Plus it's only 5 or 10 minutes and cool to listen to when unlocking the air lockers. The big benefit is keeping it out of the dust and mud and rain and well, let's be honest...crap that flicks up off the road. I'd rather have 350 bucks inside the cab.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 119826

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 21:08

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 21:08
My old blue tougue has been under the bonnet for 8 years now with no issues. Wouldn't run it while crossing a deep river but with mud, water & regular preasure cleaning have not had a problem.
From memory I had it mounted on the LHS of the 80 & had to relocate a few items. Just folded up a piece of 1.5mm flat steel picking up a few vacant threaded nuts in the body. Wired it to a 15 amp dash switch inside with a preasure cut off.
Have just replaced the BT with a bigger compressor so actually have a bracket to mount one in a 100 series but it wouldn't fit the 80.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 119865

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 17:38
Yep, that's the way... My compressor starts up every second morning (has a small leak in the system). Be buggered if I want to listern to that, especially if I've had a few drinks the night before!! LOL

As far as mud and crap goes, we just had a "dirty" weekend and because the compressor is mounted behind the air box and under the cruise control it barley got a spec of mud on it, but I normally just hose it out and spray CRC all over it anyway, the bluetounge is an industrial pump made by Thomas and it's designed to cope with all that crap anyway.

As far as dust goes it's a duff argument as I don't run the compressor while driving on dusty roads, it's always when I either startup the car, beep the horns or am stopped pumping tyres up, by which time the dust has well and truley settled anyway. Plus it's got a servicable filter anyway...
FollowupID: 375049

Sponsored Links