Uluru camping ground question

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 23:38
ThreadID: 24674 Views:3858 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Any recommendations for camping ground at Uluru. Driving from Melbourne with 4wd & off road tent trailer, non power site preferred. Any suggestions for trip are welcome. I am concerned about fresh water suppply for 60 litre tank & where to find to fill with drinking water (even if you think I am a goose asking this but bore water is awful). Look forward to your response. We are leaving on Sunday 17th July.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 01:55

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 01:55
No options for bush camping close to uluru closest is yulara I seem to remember the unpowerd sites their werent too over the top. If you really wanted to try you could attempt to get a bush camp down the gcr near the olgas but I suspect the rangers know all the tricks. Other option is Curtain springs but that is still a bit of a drive. Probably one of thosre places where if you want to have a look then you pay the money
AnswerID: 120084

Reply By: Sao - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 05:42

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 05:42
Camped at a Yulara caravan/tent park 5 years ago and it was fine. Afterall, how much time will you spend in camp? You're either off exploring the Rock etc, taking in the sunrise/sunset or enjoying a meal and a coldie at one of the establishments.

Bush camping is definately a thing of the past at Uluru-KataTjuta. The place is crawling with tourists and there's enough rangers to keep them under control.

I actually witnessed a multi-car pile up during the mad rush to get back to Yulara after the sunset viewing!

If you ask around you might find some rain water, but if you're going to be travelling in the never-never you better get used to bore water!
AnswerID: 120087

Reply By: madcow - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 07:05

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 07:05
If I had a tip it would be to ask to be placed away from the tourist buses camp area. We moved after they made a racket keeping us up all night and the early start when they move on. It is worth biting the bullet and camping at the resort.

cheers
AnswerID: 120089

Reply By: Photoman - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 08:07

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 08:07
Going to Uluru is like going to the dentist- There's always a Que to get in, its not the sort of place u want to stay to long and it can be i bit of a pain, But YA JUST GOTTA GO, Photos just dont do it justice. I'd recoment resort camping, they rotate the campsites, so the longer u stay the les people there are around u.

Forget bush camping, This is a fragile area under emence pressure from humans- atleast if u camp in managed areas the damage is localised and efforts are made to rehabilitate the area. Plus bush camping in that area would be like camping at Stocktonl - sand in every orifice.

Dont let me put you off, it is a great spot, a must for every Ozi, just dont be under a false ellusion of a true Outback experiance. But there are pleny of other places for that in the area. As with all travel the best bit is often the journey - not the destination make sure you donnt just rush to the rock and rush home!!!!

Have fun
Photoman
AnswerID: 120096

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 08:41

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 08:41
G'day Ony
How far are you going, are you only doing the rock and which way are you going to get there. I'm leaving on the 16th July from Maitland (NSW) and probably going thru Peterborough, Hawker then onto the Oodnadatta track and after Uluru off to the Gunbarrel Hwy and then Carnarvon if it is not to wet (closed roads).
Keep an eye out for 3.0Ltr GXL Praydo towing Aussie Swag CT and say g'day.
Safe travells.
Jim-Bob
AnswerID: 120102

Follow Up By: Andy C - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 00:50

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 00:50
JB

Are you really willing to tow something over the Gunbarrel?

We did the GB Wiluna to Warburton in 2003 and the corragations are just horrific! One day we only averaged 16kph without a trailer!

The ground (when not just flat and corragated with umpteen chicken tracks that are all as bad as each other) changes every 20 meters from sand to rock to steps to ledges to dust and then back again! And then throw in a couple of wash aways every now and again - makes good fun!

Please be careful if you're towing - there are many discarded trailers on the track together with a couple of the old Land Rover ute canopies!

I did the Nullabor in the 60's before it was sealed with the pot holes filled in with truck tyres etc ( and you still can find that on the Great Central Road) but the GB is worse than that some 40 years later.

Take care!

Andy
FollowupID: 375323

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:02

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:02
Been in the only caravan park/camp ground at Yulara a couple of times - its great !
Clean, tidy, with all facilities and prices are quite reasonable. The only supermarket has reasonably priced lines - the only fuel outlet has high price levels of course (who doesn't in the outback ?) but the liquor (at the - you guessed it - only pub) is sky-high ! If you like a drink, take every drop with you ! A I recall it, there was plenty of rain water available - their tanks would be overflowing right now I guess. We are getting into the fancy filtration units though - you often have to use poor water on outback travel - there is often nothing else.
AnswerID: 120107

Follow Up By: Photoman - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:10

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:10
Hi Banjo

Just had a look at ya profile, Are u happy with you CampOmatic, I just picked up a 2nd hand one - took it for its first camp on the weekend, seems pretty good. Handled LOW Rg 1st, trails with ease.

Can I trust it in wet weather or should I carry a tarp?

Any thoughts wouls be welcome

FollowupID: 375133

Follow Up By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:09

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:09
As you may have noted, ours is a Ranger M3 2004 model - its not had a proper "drubbing" yet, rain wise - but we have slept under a few light showers to date and no problems to report. We have had the full length awning and end wall on a couple of times and find the whole thing really good as a camping environment. In fine balmy weather, its great just to flip the floor over and get the kitchen on the fly for dinner - very fast indeed. Which model did you pick up ? [ eMail - darian@picknowl.com.au ]
FollowupID: 375212

Reply By: vitara - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:11

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:11
Hi Ony Ive camped at the resort its self as madcow and could not fault it. The grouds were nice and soft to sleep on no problems from the buses or tourists, and the locals caused no problems. They have security in place to stop any un welcome guests. If you intend on having a few, buy before you get there cost us about $75/$80 for a case of crown and that was a few years ago. The site we camped at was unpowered but they did have a couple of gas bbq's in place for you to use. Have fun you will enjoy.Try and fill up early in the piece diesel (ouch) .Sorry cant help on the water situation we took our own.There was water available at the resort but I dont know how you would go trying to fill a tank someone else might be able to fill you in. Take Care Vitara
AnswerID: 120108

Reply By: greydemon - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:02

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:02
We camped there a couple of years ago. Having come down the Gunbarrel we suffered a bit of culture shock with all those people! Our 'personal space' had expanded to about 10 metres but we soon adjusted. We camped there on the way to and from Alice Springs from WA. The second stay was better than the first, give them a ring and check when they are likely to be busy, on the way through we ended up in the 'overflow campsite' which was in fact a huge dustbowl out near the resort generators - horrible place. On the way back we had a large grass area to ourself and enjoyed the excellent facilities before heading back to bush camping down the Laverton road.

I seem to recall that there were some areas where you could have campfires but you need to bring your own wood in with you. No guarantee that the fires are still allowed.

Well worth the visit, many place don't live up to their hype but The Rock certainly does.

Nick

AnswerID: 120124

Reply By: 2hoots - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 13:03

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 13:03
Travelled to Uluru last winter and camped at the Yulara camp ground, great place, but by 3 pm they were turning away campers so may pay to book ahead. We were lucky to get in, we had not booked and were charged around $37 per night for a unpowered sight with a camper trailer. A lot of places will charge camper trailers out at the same rate as a caravan site. King's Canyon caravan resort was $42 per night unpowered. These two places were the most expensive we came across.
Anyway hope this helps in your planning.

2 hoots
AnswerID: 120133

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:00

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:00
Forgot to say re tourism there - the Rock and Olgas are brilliant - its a 9k walk around the rock - that is good value - if you climb it, don't lose your step on the way up because once a tourist starts rolling, there's nothing to grab but fresh air. There are a number of great walks out at the Olgas - the place is huge - higher and bigger in everyway than the Rock. From Yulara out to the Olgas and back is damn near a 100km round trip too. We will spend a day out there at least, when next in the region. There is a tourism interpretive centre in the town too - near the admin centre - not by the main shops - worth looking up - info on history, ecology, fauna, flora etc.
AnswerID: 120159

Sponsored Links