Patrol vs Landcruiser

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 15:03
ThreadID: 24684 Views:21548 Replies:17 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
We are about to upgrade from our 1999 Rodeo dual cab to either a Patrol or Landcruiser (due to requirement for more passenger space). Obviously the Cruiser is more expensive but I was after some input as to whether the extra expense is justified. We will be purchasing a camper van to make up for the lack of luggage space previously enjoyed with the Rodeo so it'll need to have plenty of grunt for towing. I don't think we'll purchase a new vehicle. I would welcome some opinions from people who have (or have had) a reliable set up for off road campervaning with a family of 5 or thereabouts.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Griddo - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 15:11

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 15:11
Dave

I am currentley running a '99 V6 Rodeo D/C and a T/D 100 series. After about 2 years of trying to keep up the fuel to the Rodeo i have finally come to the conclusion to sell it. IMO go the cruiser. Nothing wrong with patrol it's just that the cruiser seems stronger in the body and engine. Drivetrain on patrol seems historically a bit stronger. I have towed a 20 foot boat around the South West of WA without a problem. Also when it omes to resale value cruiser tend to hold better than a nissan

Only my own opinions

AnswerID: 120149

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:34

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:34
'Also when it omes to resale value cruiser tend to hold better than a nissan'

hmmm I think you better check your stats via the redbook!!

Leroy
FollowupID: 375215

Follow Up By: Griddo - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 17:02

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 17:02
Leroy

I am on my third cruiser and hopefully going to my fourth pretty soon. When i have come to sell or trade in they all seem to have held their value very well. A couple of people i know have traded their nissans and they where extremely dissapointed in the trade in values.

I have seen the red book quoted values. They may be what the car yards try to run off but in practice the valuations seem to be of the mark for late model, low km vehicles.

Just my opinion and what i have seen.
FollowupID: 375220

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 15:27

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 15:27
Have a search around the site, its been done daily for about a year this question!
AnswerID: 120154

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 15:56

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 15:56
Davo,

I had a 99 GXL diesel Cruiser for 130 000km (18 mths). Problems encountered included 2 full gearbox rebuilds, leak through the tailgate and ABS failure due to Toyota service person not knowing how to pull apart front hub and put back together again. (that's not the cars fault) All this done under warranty.

I now have 2000 4.2 turbo ST Patrol 220 000km (4 yrs). Problems encountered include major overheating since week 2 of ownership (when towing especially), replaced turbo due to oil leak at approx 35000 km.
There is also common 5th gear failure in 99 - 01 models so watch out for this.

The difference between the 2 vehicles in my opinion is Toyota's approach to warranty work if you need it. Nissan have done jack$hit nothing for me when I have needed them to the point of me taking them to court to cover my repairs to the vehicle to make it capable to tow what I bought the car to tow.
Toyota on the other hand supplied courtesy cars to continue to run my towing business whilst the vehicle was being fixed.(but I needed their backup service when I felt the vehicle should have been up to the task.)

Bottom line : if you are going to purchase a vehicle still under warranty in case something goes wrong, then I would suggest go the Cruiser, but if you are not so worried about Nissan's lack of service then I'll be the first to admit that now I have fixed the overheating I have a great truck. So if you get a Ripper deal on a Patrol then you probably won't go wrong. My personal preference in the drivers seat is the Patrol but that's a personal thing that only you can decide what suits you.

I am probably one of the worst case scenario's a vehicle can be put in, 3 - 3 1/2 T vehicle load then drop the 3 T trailer on and try driving at the legal speed limits all day every day.
If you have other types of vehicles in mind that may suit your application don't rule them out as both these vehicles are not the only one's to do a set job.

Sorry for the long winded response but I hope this helps
Trevor.
AnswerID: 120158

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:37

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:37
I agree with the Nissan Warranty thing. I prob wouldn't buy a new Nissan again because of the lengths you have to got to to make a claim. You should be able to drive into a dealer and point out a prob and they fix it on the spot. Nope they have to contact head office and you have to book your car in again to get the repair done.

Leroy
FollowupID: 375217

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:24

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:24
Hi Davoe
I run four 80# and one Nissan, in the last tree years the Nissan has cost more than double what it has cost to keep an 80 on the road
Ray
AnswerID: 120165

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:04

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:04
Hey leave me out it (happy 80 series owner)
FollowupID: 375244

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:41

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 16:41
I bought a 98 Ti Patrol for this purpose.

Its a big petrol , 4.5l , so fuel economy isn't great , but , plenty of power for towing our Campertrailer. I can sit on the legal speed limit all day everyday.

Plenty of excellent buys can be had on a Petrol patrol. The difference between the purchase price of a petrol over a diesel should at least give consideration , depending on YOUR requirements.

Personally , I cant see the justification for spending extra on a Cruiser over a Patrol , and more on a Diesel over petrol , but , thats IMO.
AnswerID: 120168

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 17:19

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 17:19
See Pic.
This unit has been around Aus 3 times and yes it does heat up if pushed on a hot day. The Nissan is a 4.2td with the turbo and the fuel pump done as well as a mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust. So far after 120grand ks only got 3 punctures. Bugger them wranglers.
The van when fully loaded is 1800kg and the nissan 3400kg total 5.2 Tonnes.
Also the suspension is an ome heavy duty tow pack.
The only bitch is that one has to change the oil every 5000 but I do this without fail.
If you need further details se members profile.
IMHO both Nissans and Toyotas are good vehicles you just have to do your homework on what you want and rely on the hip pocket nerve.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 120170

Reply By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 17:29

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 17:29
Gawdddd...
from what i read above, Im so glad i got a GQ. I dont think id be 4wding if i had problems like that. Id simply find a different hobby. I cant believe Nissan are such a problem on warranty issues. Makes me think twice about getting a new one with service like that though. Then again, Im more than happy with the GQ. does everything i want it too and makes it all look easy.
No offence intended here guys, i just get annoyed reading stories like nissan's warranty problems, must get very frustrating for those who have had to expierence such a thing.
Ange.
AnswerID: 120172

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:07

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:07
Hi Ange,

Definitely has been frustrating trying to get things fixed on the Nissan. I believe the GQ was the pick of the Nissan's.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 375246

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:25

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:25
Yup - just about to get our second current GQ - a '92 4.2 diesel.

Two things I prefer about Patrols over 'Cruisers that I've also had -

1) Stronger CV's and diffs

2) Stronger gearbox's

3) Stronger chassis (arguably)

4)... (oh! hang on... I said "two" things)

;)
FollowupID: 375251

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:46

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:46
Can't comment on the Nissan warranty thing - my 98 2.8tdi GU had the normal 3 year factory plus a 2 year extended warranty and guess what - I didn't once get the opportunity to claim against it. Yep not once single problem......now go figure when you look at all the thing the so-called 'EXPERTS' have to say about the GU 2.8.
FollowupID: 375371

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 18:22

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 18:22
without even getting into this one, I'd suggest you test drive both cars before even getting into the detail. I decided a Patrol was the one for me and went around the yards. Contented with my choice of a Patrol, took a few on test drive. When a salesman suggested I try his LC100 that he also happened to have, I took it for a drive and hadn't even gone 1 km when I realised I'd been looking for the wrong car. Can't go wrong with either. Personal choice. Once you've sorted out the nuts and bolts and done the homework there'll not be much in it. Depends on what kind of use, but even then, little between em. The Cruiser had a bit more room inside to accommodate the tribe, which swung it for me.
AnswerID: 120185

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:08

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:08
Y'dammned if you do & Y'dammed if you don't. Here's my 2/- worth. I have only had the Nissan so it's not fair for me to make any comparo. But on the warranty bit, I bought mine 2nd hand private sale. I have MTR's on the rims so the spare is a bit heavy on the back door, add to this a high lift jack and you have a lot of weight on the back door. The door thus developed a stress fracture near the pillar. Took it to a local dealer (without the jack), they took photos, sent it off to HO and in 2 days had approval to replace the rear door with new. Bingo & after 60K klms.
Can't go crook about that, can you? Depends on how you approach the problem sometimes.
AnswerID: 120196

Reply By: ev700 - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:10

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:10
Davo
I have a family of five and have gone for a Landcruiser (TD auto).

If you check the second row of seats in the Patrol you will find that the middle seat splits in the middle. This middle seating position is narrow, poorly padded and is very uncomfortable. It has no head restraint either (amazing!), so whiplash is a risk. Get the wife to sit in it and no doubt she will agree with my family who claimed the second seat was fine for two passengers, but definitely not three.

For interest, the Pajero has a second row of seats that split in the middle too. Uncomfortable.

I was quite annoyed that the Patrol had such poor ergonomics for 'second row' passengers and that it lacked a head restraint (so much for safety). It is a large, expensive vehicle and I expected better.

The Toyota also has a more even floor for the second row of seats.

My wife was far more comfortable and assured driving the Cruiser. Being tall, I liked the driver seating position in the Patrol, but the 4.2 TD Cruiser was smoother
and more responsive. The Patrol feels more truck-like.

AnswerID: 120197

Reply By: Member - John (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:23

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:23
Save yourself the trouble of flipping a coin and buy a Disco TD5. ( 2003+)

Pros:
Fuel ecomony - No.1
The wife can park it
Cheap - $35-39k
An auto is easy to find
All the comforts ,bells & whistles
Easily tow the camper (with a chip upgrade = 100S )
Get one with ACE - briliant!
Live axel - coil suspension - cdl - full time 4wd
Ext warranty now avlb
Don't listen to the reliability BS - only applies to earlier models
Any late model 4wd you buy has an achilles heel - e.g IFS.

Cons:
small cargo area - but ok with trailer/roof rack
****You always wonder if you shoud keep spending money with mods or just buy the bluddy 100s. :)))

John

AnswerID: 120199

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 23:20

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 23:20
Mate of mine had a Disco - including service and warranty, it went back to the workshop 44 times in 4 years (from new) - he now has a 100 series.. (not suggesting all the Disco's are that bad - but they do get more than their fair share of repair publicity..
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 375315

Follow Up By: Member - John (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:59

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:59
.....and a mate of mine had huge problems with his '03 100s ... and so on...

although 44 times!! ..... well...... ok so that's bad. what year was it?

dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

FollowupID: 375351

Reply By: babs - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:46

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:46
Hey Davo, just recently went through the same dilemma, i had my heart set on a landcruiser, finally been able to afford new and what have they gone and done, the d#%k heads, they stuck an independent front in there turbo opt, so that left the std diesal, in my opinion with the power available on vehicles today this was not even an option for me.
So I went the new patrol 4.2t/d so far happy but still to new to tell.
Not sure what model you seek, but if out of manufacturers wty the std diesal landcruiser might be a good opt just put on an after market turbo.
Like everyone else has replied both tough vehicles personel pref, see which one offers you more for your price range.
This has raised a question for me though, have they corrected the overheating problem in the GU IV 4.2t/d current mod. I might place a post. If any one else reading my reply here and have info??? Please much obliged!!!

Anyways Davo good luck in your hunting keep us posted.

Babs
AnswerID: 120208

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 21:14

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 21:14
Babs,

Have met people with new utes that still overheat. Even the new i/c ones.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 375287

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:49

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:49
All problems fixed in TD6 GU 4.2 TDI. Does not overheat, lends itself to powerup, old technology. Good luck mate.
AnswerID: 120211

Reply By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:27

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:27
If you get a Patrol, don't forget to buy a spare LC to tow it out with.

(lol... just kidding guys, this post has been too serious so far!)
AnswerID: 120300

Reply By: OMN - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:59

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:59
My two cents,

I bought a LC100 4.7V8 last July and for my purposes great, it was compared to the Patrol extensively.

Things that swung it,

1/ as much as i would like to get offroad it will be driven 80 - 90% on blacktop so ride is better
2/ will go where i want it off road no problems to date
3/ i upped the tyres to 33" BFG AT's and dealer gave me money back on original tyres
4/ ergonoimics and style of vehicle was definitely ahead in the cruiser, wife didnt like the patrol inside, and as we plan to do a fair bit of driving with the family

At the end of day is personal choice and what you want, both are great vehicles, our first 4WD was a Patrol my mother had 20 years ago before they were popular.

Drive both types and both the diesel and petrols as they are all very different. I was goign to get a diesel and was only test driving the diesels and then jumped in the petrol 4.7V8 and it was all over.

Yes if i want to do a Simpson i have a challenge and the Canning is out all together but those are choices you make.

Mark
AnswerID: 120310

Reply By: Hairy - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:19

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:19
Davo,
Work purchaced 7 brand new Nissans ( wagons and utes ) approx. 2 years ago and they are just about stuffed. They travell out of Alice Springs on some pretty rough roads most of there life, but isnt that what they were built for? I personaly wouldnt touch a new Nissan after seeing all the problems we have had with them.
One thing you should seriously look at is the room inside if them if nothing else, the Toyotas have heaps more room were the Nissans are filled up with great big door cavities / consoles and other crap that is good for nothing.
Line up a Nissan and a Toyota of the same age, measure the room inside and test drive them both, If that isnt enough to make your mind up think of how long you want it to last!

Cheers
AnswerID: 120327

Reply By: banjodog - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 12:41

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 12:41
Toyota / Nissan - Petrol or diesel? Auto or manual? Considered a late model Range Rover / Discovery at all for towing grunt? If you’re not buying a new vehicle the choice and flexibility of vehicle vs price will give you room to move if you buy one a few years old and then modify to suit your needs – which I’m sure you’ll do.

However, wishing I was in a position to upgrade – I’d be grabbing one of each for a long test drive with the family in the back. Some good car yards may let you have the vehicle/s over the weekend but DON’T sign any paper work that looks like bill-of-sale and told it’s insurance stuff etc etc while you have it – otherwise you’ll find you just bought the car when you take it back on the Monday.

No matter what the vehicle you end up with being able to have an extended drive on familiar roads can be a bonus when crunch time comes to write the cheque. I’ve spoken to many owners over the years that wished they took more time in deciding before they “panic” bought out of shear frustration of vehicle availability – all thought someone else will grab the deal.

As some here have said – take a tape measure along and do some comparisons on your own spreadsheet for room and clearances etc.

Ring some independent 4wd repairers too for some feedback on what comes in their door – ask what the common problem for every day repairs is.

Even insurance costs could be vastly different – ring for quotes. There are many (personal) reasons to buy one make over another but I guess it’s what you plan to do with it yourself that counts.

Actually any car’s a good car so long as it’s regularly serviced and maintained. So whatever your choice spend some money (that you saved on the deal) and change all the oils, brake/clutch fluid, brake pads, clutch, coolant, belts, filters, even the suspension so it’s in top nick from day one.

Might sound a bit over the top to do all this immediately but at least you are starting from a known point in the servicing and repairs area. That way you can drive pretty well anywhere in confidence knowing all that’s been done. You might be lucky enough that the previous owner kept all that up.

AnswerID: 120336

Sponsored Links