What 4x4 dual cab to buy

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 18:29
ThreadID: 24692 Views:14128 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We would like to get a 4x4 ute dual cab, this will be use to carry a slide-on van of about 500 Kgs.
What is the best unit to buy, and what type of slide-on is also the best.
We have compleated all the large trips eg Canning Gunbarell and the bom roads so will not be boing there again.
Hoping for feed back Bill. melbourne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 18:55

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 18:55
Hi Bill,

This question is a bit like asking "how Long is a piece of string"

You will find that say rodeo, navara, hilux, triton all have good and bad points, and it depends on which items you are prepared to sacrifice on one model, and get on the other.

I personally have a diesel dual cab navara, which I think is a great all round vehicle.

Many good points, but I would say the following items which may be better on other models, which I have accepted are:

* Little leg room to rear seats, my teenage kids are squashy.
* Would need beefed up suspension if installing a 500kg slide on van.
* Only came in manual transmission - which I am happy with, but other may want auto.

I think it comes down to your personal preference

Thanks

TonyG
AnswerID: 120193

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:14

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:14
Other questions are:
Buying new or second hand?
How much off roading?
If new, Hilux seems to retain it's value better than others.
Triton does not get good write ups for off roading.

With the weight of the slide on, you may want to beef up the suspension. Make sure you buy something with options available.

I've got an 05 TD Hilux which I'm very happy with, other than ramp over for off roading, but all dual cabs have this problem due to long wheel base.

I'm sure most owners of Rodeos and Navaras are also happy.

AnswerID: 120198

Follow Up By: Member - Johno (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:04

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:04
...... and Triton owners!

Everyones going to give their vehicle a wrap. As I've said before on this forum, if moneys no object buy the hilux. But if you want to save $10k on a the new vehicle purchase price have a look at the GLX-R turbo diesel, it looks the goods and will easily satify any off road work that you've got planned.
FollowupID: 375261

Follow Up By: Wombat - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:58

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:58
Our Triton hasn't had an off-road situation which it couldn't deal with yet Norm. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough? Funnily Johnty and Blue haven't reported any shotcomings either. I don't usually respond to a mines bigger, or better than yours post, but your statement has very little merit. This is our second Triton - are you happy enough with your Hilux to replace it with an identical vehicle when the time comes?
FollowupID: 375374

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 13:14

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 13:14
Sorry Wombat and other Triton owners. Didn't mean to offend and didn't think it was a 'mine is bigger than yours post'. Quite the opposite. I didn't say anywhere that the Hilux is best, just that I'm happy with mine.
My only comment on Tritons was that write ups generally don't rate them as good off road as some others in the same class. They are probably very capable off road but I have not seen the Triton come out on top of a direct comparo between it, Hilux, Navara and Rodeo. I don't read all the mags so it may have happened, but I haven't seen it.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the Triton. In fact, all the vehicles I've mentioned in this post, including the Triton, seem to be good. The difference between them is minor. Comes down to choice.

Sorry again to Triton owners, who are clearly happy with their vehicle, probably with good reason.
FollowupID: 375391

Follow Up By: Wombat - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 13:36

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 13:36
Apology not necessary Norm, as I'm definately not offended. As you said the choice of vehicle comes down to personal choice. For this reason I tend not to offer advise to others on their choice of carriage. I also don't read the 4WD magazines as they tend to have a bias in their editorial which is directly proportional to the amount of advertising income of the relative vehicle manufacturers. Although we all know that the early 3.0 litre Patrols had a problem with both engine and gearbox and Toyota's 100 series has an ongoing problem with its independent front suspension how many times have you seen it documented in one of these publications?

BTW I'm a big wrap for what Toyota have done with the SR5.
FollowupID: 375395

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 15:33

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 15:33
I think when Mitsubishi put out the Triton with the DiD3.2l engine they will be on a real winner. When's this suposed to happen?

Leroy
FollowupID: 375414

Follow Up By: Wombat - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 15:46

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 15:46
With Mitsubishi, who knows Leigh. From what I can gather all decisions are made out of Japan and Mitsubishi Motors Australia is just a lame duck. They're just as likely to drop the Triton from the range as their key sales indicators are based on American and Japanese trends.
FollowupID: 375418

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:53

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:53
The weight of the slide-on will be a big issue.

500kgs is a lot - with a dual cab, thats a lot of weight behind the rear axle, which is not good. When you take it on the rough roads and corrugations, it is very easy to bend the chassis. In the last 12 months I've seen a Rodeo and Hilux who have suffered this fate in the desert - one on the Anne Beadell Hwy and the other on the Simpson.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 120212

Reply By: Alex H - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 21:19

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 21:19
G'day Bill,
for the weight you are looking to carry, think big - get a landrover defender 130 crew cab. Its the only dual cab on the market that is a genuine 1-tonner - it can carry a 1-tonne payload in addition to 5 people in the cab. Most of the others, you'll find that once you have all the seats in use, the available payload is closer to half a tonne than one tonne.

The chances are you'll end up with more than 500kg on the back anyway (thats how it works for me anyway), so the extra capacity gives you a good safety margin.

Cheers,
Alex
AnswerID: 120239

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 22:03

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 22:03
Pretty sensible advice already. I agree with Tony and Norm and the others.

I've got a Rodeo which I like a lot. Looked real closely at the Navara and like it too, but though the Rodeo was a better deal at the time. The older Hilux was a bit trucky for me, but the new one looks more civilised. Courier also has been getting reasonable wraps, but I think doesn't have a great towing capacity.

Anyway, write down the things you MUST have (air conditioning, electric windows) whatever is important to you and go from there. and definately drive them. Feel for comfort of driving position etc.

Dual Cab Defender might extend the budget a bit. I reckon the Navara at $37,000 at the moment for the ST-R with bullbar and $1,000 free fuel is a great deal.

You'll love whatever you get.
AnswerID: 120252

Reply By: RobEG - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 22:28

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 22:28
Checked out all the slideons at the Brissy C&C show, quite a few new ones this year but IMHO the Trayon made at Sunshine Coast looked th best. www.trayon.com but would go for the Engel or Waeco upright fridge instead of the Electrolux 3 way. Same price.

Can't speak to the load carrying capacities of dual cabs but Creative Conversions at Brendale just north of Brissy do a top job of extending the chassis and tray by about a metre at very reasonable cost. Seen an STR Navarra done by them very shmick. www.creativeconversions.com.au Sorry can't work out inserting hyperlinks.
AnswerID: 120260

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 13:06

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 13:06
Rob,

Agree with you about the trayon - very light for what it is.

Extending the chassis may mean that a lot of the offroad ability is lost. It accentuates the limited front wheel travel with the IFS utes, and the rampover is a problem over dunes.

The question posed is an interesting one - no simple answer.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 375389

Reply By: Peter - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 22:29

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 22:29
F250 V8 Diesel.
Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 120261

Reply By: DEANO WA - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 15:12

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 15:12
if you can find one ,a dual cab conversion Patrol or Landy is the go with turbo
AnswerID: 120356