How Many Grease Nipples on A Troop Carrier

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 18:50
ThreadID: 24693 Views:9141 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there everybody,

This is my first question on this site, and from what I have seen it will be very helpful.

I have a 78 Series Troop Carrier and I was just greasing the nipples. I want to make sure I have the right amount. I count:

2 Up the fronton the steering Arms and then 8 (in 4 lots of 2) along front and back driveshafts for a total of ten.

Also, the logbook states to grease the steering knuckle every 5000k's, but there is no nipple, only a nut to undo, should I putthegun in there?

Thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:02

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:02
You've found all the grease nipples.

Removing the nut and putting grease in there is a waste of time. The grease will never reach the swivel bearings anyway. The swivel hubs will get regreased every 100,000km anyway, or when you replce the inner axle seal. Most people regrease front and rear wheel bearing at 40,000km too.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 120195

Follow Up By: Trooper1080 - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:25

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:25
Hi Phil,

Thanks a lot mate! You seem to know a fair bit about all this. While I have your attention, can I ask a question about the amount of grease to put in? I have been told to pump the gun until grease comes out the seals. On the front steering arms, the rubber bulges out too, is that OK? And on others, the grease only comes out the seal in a small location like a worm. Is it time to stop as soon as this happens?

The slip yoke only needs a few pumps(and it shouldn't show at the join) is that right? I took the nipple off the rear one of after pumping it and a worm of grease came out the hole, is this ok?

Thanks again for your help regading this.

FollowupID: 375252

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 19:45
The steering arms usually need a few pumps of grease each until the rubber has a slight bulge.

The universal joints usually take a couple of pumps. Just stop when you start to see the grease getting past the seals.

The slip yokes need only two or three pumps - grease will never come past that seal. Put too much in there, and it will be under pressure and you can push out the welsh plug at the end of the shaft, and being under pressure may cause a drive train vibration, so I stop at 3 pumps.

The troopie maintenance is no different to most past LandCruisers. There are good write ups of wheel bearing and swivel hub servicing in the technical section at the LCOOL website

There are other 78/79series owners on the 70scool email group too at that site, but usually you'll get a good answer here.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 375258

Follow Up By: Trooper1080 - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:26

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:26
Hi Phil,

That LCOOL is fantastic!!! Awesome photos and info.

I have just one moe question for you sorry mate! If I have overgreased the nipples, which I believe I have...is there any major problem. As I said, I took the nipple off the slip yoke and some grease did come out. What about the other nipples, should I take the nipple off those too?

Sorry to be a pain.

Thanks again mate!

FollowupID: 375265

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:53

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:53
Yeah, Theres some good stuff there for the DIYer. Feel free to join 70scool, and tell us about your troopie.

Don't worry about the nipples - the slip joint is the only one that really matters in this respect, and you've fixed that. You've done a good job. I do mine every 5,000k.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 375274

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 22:13

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 22:13
Gee!!! i thought it was a guessing competition for a minute there!! LOL.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 120256

Sponsored Links