chev diesel who has one

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:16
ThreadID: 24729 Views:3014 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
just wanting to know from an owner of a gu 99 td 2.8
to any one who has one or knows any one who has one, are they worth it or just go with the 4.2 upgrade instead of the v8 chev. i am a carpenter by trade so i tow a trailer about 900 kgs to a 1T daily & have a 21 offroader to go on holidays with.
what sort of economy can i expect from either engine & which would be the best up grade.

ps am not chnging the Vehicle regardless, of $

thank u
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 21:37

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 21:37
There is one in kalgoorlie but that is the only info i have except the 2.8 blew up and it cost 16k all up total conversion
AnswerID: 120424

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 22:24

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 22:24
adam, My mate blew his 2.8 up, fitted a 4.2 non turbo, all up cost him about $5000, would have been better to pay a little bit more for a turbo 4.2, maybe even fit the auto? He swapped his gearbox, transfer case and buggered 2.8 for the complete 4.2 and gearbox, transfer case etc. Just my two cents worth, hope it helps in some way?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 120433

Reply By: V8Diesel - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:09

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:09
I've got a 6.5 V8 Chev diesel in a Landcruiser 75 series.

To do your GU 2.8 properly could be in excess of $25K - no joke.

Your gearbox is not up to the job and will need replacing with either a petrol or 4.2 box. I'm fairly sure you will need to replace both diffs as well with new ratio's to suit the 6.5 (you need somewhere around 1,800 - 2,000 rpm @ 110km/h)

The resale value of your surplus 2.8 motor is low. Even the new 3.0l's aren't bringing a huge amount surprisingly enough.

A good 6.5 with the big turbo heads (non-turbo though) is around $11K on its own. You will need a HD chev clutch and pressure plate, new HD radiator......the list goes on.

The GM 6.5 is awesome off-road and great for towing. Don't be fooled by the numbers either, seat of the pants info tells a different story from paper when comparing with equivalent turbo Jap motors. Sounds very cool too ;-) It is not a tyre frying rocket ship though as some folks would like you to believe. (truth be told, all traditional non-electronic diesels are slugs, but that's not what they're made for are they)

This is the mob who did mine. Good guys who are straight down the line from my experience. They've done over 7,000 of them apparently!

link text

If the diesel sounds like too much moolah, perhaps a modern V8 on gas would be the go. You could mate up a small block Chev on gas to a Turbo 700 auto with overdrive and a lock up convertor. Cheap as chips to run and goes like stink too. 50,000 tow truck drivers can't be wrong. Would be much, much cheaper in every aspect as well I'd say.

In real world conditions, ya just can't beat cubic inches though, no question about it.
AnswerID: 120483

Sponsored Links