Water Tanks

Submitted: Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 10:57
ThreadID: 24741 Views:2410 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Been reading recent posts about water tanks some great ideas. Ideally I would like to mount a stainless tank under my 100 series suits my needs better but don't want "HOT" water has anyone experimented with insulating the tank with foam sheets or that spray on foam any thoughts appreciated.
Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: WheelTravel - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:18

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:18
I have a 52litre in my Troopy, behind the rear diesel tank. It's as tasty, cool and fresh as you like.

It is up the back though. It get a bit of a bashing too on steep rock steps, but it is as tough as nails. Really thick. Great jacking base for the air bag too.

I'd think about getting standard steel, coz you can weld it a lot more easily. I snapped the tap off mine, and it was an easy weld for a new one.

Just my opinion.

Cheers
AnswerID: 120484

Follow Up By: BamBam - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 14:01

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 14:01
In your tank did you use a gravity feed or a 12v pump?
FollowupID: 375561

Follow Up By: Tony F - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 13:40

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 13:40
G'day. I have a 60Lt tank mounted under the rear of LC80. The spare wheel is mounted on a swing away carrier, the tank was built with a tube thru the centre and simply winds up where the spare wheel did, with some rubber blocks on the top of the tank. it is well tucked up and does not sustain any damage. I do a bit of work up the cape and gulf and never have hot water, not always cold , but definatley not hot. The hand pump tap is mounted on the wheel carrier and doesn't pose any problems. I use the the shower pump to fill it from creeks etc if necessary. KISS principle works everytime. Cost about $260 in food grade stainless.can email you more details if needed. Good luck and happy camping
FollowupID: 375844

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 14:03

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 14:03
I have a 60ltr stainless tank thats wedge shaped, fits in behind the center seats against cargo barrier... no heat there :)
AnswerID: 120499

Follow Up By: Member - ROTORD - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 14:41

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 14:41
I am looking at putting a water tank under the centre of my Disco . Plan is to fill the drink containers in the cool of the morning and put them in the Engel . For every other water use , the hotter the better .
FollowupID: 375572

Reply By: cokeaddict - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 15:07

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 15:07
Hi Barry,
You probably read my reply in that post. I can assure you mate i have never had hot water comming out of mine. Its definately the way to go if you ask me, thats if cost is not an issue. One of the better add on's which came with my GQ when i bought it. Its out of the way, never have to worry about storage space lost to carry water. Only thing i have done to mine is purchased a spare pump just incase it dies.

Good luck with it mate.
Ange
AnswerID: 120504

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 17:09

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 17:09
Hi Ange
Thanks for the reply, the one thing that concerns me is we do a lot of travelling up FN Aus just wondering how warm water will get ??
I don't have to many options as I have no room in vehicle to store water
as I have custom made draws to use all the available space in rear of truck
Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 375756

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 20:35

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 20:35
Hi Barry,
I cant answer the FN Austraila question mate sorry, I havent been up there yet. If your planning to use the water for drinking only, what I do is run 3 x 1.25 ltr bottles in my fridge / freezer. I usually freeze one solid before leaving home, Then put 2 more in fridge. As we empty them, I fill them up from the tank and place that 1 in freezer section. I find this works perfect for constant cool water.

One other advantage i forgot to mention before was .....having all that water onboard, if you blow a bottom radiator hose on your motor, You will still have enough water left to get you through a hard time. I only mention this as i am very cautious when travelling. Water, food and driving as smoothly as possible usually gets me back home drama free.
FollowupID: 375776

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:11

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:11
Hi Ange
You should get to FN AUS it is truely fantastic we have a daughter in Cairns base ourselves there and head out for 2 months at a time I'll never see everything in my life time ??
Your idea with water in fridge sounds good will go that way when I build tanks
nothing wrong with being cautious when travelling this great country all the problems we have seen with other travellers are usually caused from them taking the old attitude "she'll be right mate " keep your attitude and not only will get home again safely but you will enjoy it a hell of a lot more, that approach hasn't let us down over the last 20yrs of travel
safe travelling mate
Barry
FollowupID: 376102

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 01:11

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 01:11
I am one of the guys who reckon you do get hot water - BUT thats not the be all and end all. Underbody storage of water in most cases makes alot of sense. In relation to hot water all you have to do is In the morning fill up your days drinking water. I assume you would have handy convenient water inside for drinking. And one other thing I always take a reserve amount of water inside (5l for non remote and a 20l jerry for remote) coz underneath tanks can suffer from untoward accidents either to the tank or tap. I currently have a 30l tank under my 80 on the passenger side. I have a stopcock directly on the back and that silver braid hose that comes out under the sidesteps to a tap held on by zip ties. The tap is vulnerable but the stop cock on the back of the tank far less so. When I pull up undo stopcock and I have water to camp with
AnswerID: 120602

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 16:59

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 16:59
Hi Davoe
Thanks for the info I have altered my cargo barrier so that it is hard up against my rear seat to enable my custom draws to hold more
Therefore a underbody tank would suit me better
yes we do carry water for daily use, I see your point about filling containers in the morning
Looks like I will go for the tank under body for me there are more positives than negatives
cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 375752

Reply By: atoyot - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 22:40

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 22:40
I have a TJM poly tank under the drivers side (100 LC) and it does get warm to hot after driving for a while, depending on the ambient temp. I suspect that it gets hot mainly because it's reasonably close to the exhaust pipe (specially the filler and breather pipe) and perhaps because it's black. Still, even though I have a Glind, it's handy to have hot water on tap after you pull up. I carry drinking water in 20l tanks in the car as well. I'd like to get another tank under the passenger side, but they don't appear to make them in poly for that side. Other tanks are just a bit too expensive.

Andrew
AnswerID: 120700

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:56

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:56
Hi Andrew
I have used plastic caravan tanks before but always tastes plasticy
Thats why I want to change to s/steel
Do you have that problem ??
I was planning to build to tanks one either side.
Was wondering about exhaust pipe being to close.
cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 376095

Reply By: atoyot - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:21

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:21
I can't say I've got a plasticy taste from the poly tank, but b4 I put a filter in the breather pipe, we'd get a bit of dirt in it. If you had 2 tanks down either side, my guess that the drivers side tank would always have warmer water than the passenger side. The exhaust on a 100 series is down the inside of the chassis, but I think most of the heat I was getting was from where the filler and breather passed near the engine pipe. I've got to fiddle with them a bit and route them further away from the engine pipe. If I had a choice, stainless would be the go.

Andrew
AnswerID: 121033

Sponsored Links