trip to Fraser Island.

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 07:40
ThreadID: 24764 Views:2339 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all !!

Im going to Fraser for the 1st time and would like to know about any Pitfalls/must see places /do's or dont's well in short Im sure you know that when you return from a trip some one always says AH!! if I knew you were going there I would have told you to check out this or that or you should have enterd Via or like 1 mate said on your return home (syd) stay at tincan bay for at least 1 night so the kids can check out the dolfins in the morning, we r doing this, so I thought I might just post this and check out any responces, I hope to hear from some of you .

P.S we r leaving home on 1/10/05 and will be on the island for about 4 days ?
Cheers JB.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patcher - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:05

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:05
The only pitfall I see is to beware of driving south of Moon Point on the western side of the island. There is a boggy muddy section that gets covered with sand every time the tide comes in. It's a trap for many people as the tide come in here at a great rate of knots and can easily over a vehicle at high tide.

There are many photos of vehicles that have come to grief here. From memory it's not signposted either.

We based our camp ay Waddy Point and travelled from there to most parts of the island.

Have a great time

Pat
AnswerID: 120609

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:33

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:33
Thanx Pat that the exact reason for posting my mesage I will remember this info.

thanx again JB.
FollowupID: 375699

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 11:02

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 11:02
I can attest to that - I got drowned there 20 years ago - the yabbie flats are murder - but the fishing is good - walk around but don't drive south of Moon point.

FollowupID: 375712

Reply By: guzzi - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:32

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:32
JB,
4 days eh, better than not going at all but you could easily spend a week there and still not see everything.
Brush up on sand driveing, if its been dry a while the inland tracks can be very soft, so can the beach near high tide.
Compressor,tyre pressure guage snatch strap, shackles, shovel are essential. You'll only need them if you didnt take them.
Air down your tyres to 20psi, every booged vechicle Ive come across was still running highway pressures in their tyres. Youll get up the hard pack on the beach ok with highway pressures but the soft exit tracks catch a few people out.
Be very aware of what the tides are doing, its easy to get distracted sight seeing at one end of the island and you find youve got a 2 hour beach run back to camp and the tide is rapidly comming in. The tide ALWAYS comes in faster than it goes out, or so it seems:))
Keep to the posted speed limit or slower on the beach, washouts and undulations can appear without warning, you dont want to hit them at 80kmh.
Beware backpackers in rented troop carriers, they know none of the above.
If there is a blind corner ahead there will be a rented troop carrier full of backpackers comming the other way, generally as fast as that troopy will ever go, or a 4x4 tourist bus.
Fuel was $1.50 + a litre for diesel back in april, you will use more fuel than usual,
food and ice are available at the "towns" but it is more expensive than the mainland.

Must see destinations? its all good, the lakes, Maheno, Eli creek, Champange pools, Central station forrest, the coloured sands, the Z force camp on the western side of the island.
Good camping spot behind the dunes about 7km north of Eurong, just past the turn off to the road to Lake Waddi. You will need to BYO everthing, water ,showers, toilet etc, and take everything out with you as well, dumpster bins are on the beach at most major settlements.
Give your vechicle a good cleaning and polish before you leave home and spray underneath with Lanox or similar, will help keep the sand/salt off and make it easier to clean when you get off the island.
If you havent got them already some Sand Grabber type matts for the car are essential, especially if youve got carpet. Your car has a sand gland and will remind you of your trip as you will find sand for the next year regardless of how often you vacuum it :)).
Be prepared for midgies and sand flys, they like the island and you as well.
Some dingos are still a bit of a problem, there are new rules for camping and interaction with them, you will get a brochure when you pick up your permits.
The whole place is spectactular its well worth the visit.
Some of my comments may seem a bit negative, theyre just some tips Ive learned on 5 trips to Fraser, dont be put off, the Island is just magic.
AnswerID: 120613

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:53

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:53
Hi Guzzi.

My gawd you must type fast!!! thanx also to you I will inform all the other guys about what you and pat wrote and I will try the lanox ( if I can find it ) I suppose I can get it in bulk and run it in an old spray gun , I have a 100 ser T/D with lights,snorkel, duel batt,out back centre console 4 UHF ,sand matts,big red comp,engle 40 LTR,draws,cargo barr,
basic recovery kit and a TJM bar , so all I need now is advice and hope to gain experience through this trip as long as we r safe , we r staying at a camp ground at cathederall beach and hope to make a few day trips .....fingers crossed ;)

Thanx again JB.
FollowupID: 375701

Follow Up By: Member - John C (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 09:56

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 09:56
Not much to add to the above.
If we don't have any rain by October the sand could be dry and soft.
Brother in law (lives notrth coast and goes over most school holidays) just got back after the recent rain and wish he had taken the camping trailer the sand was so firm.
Sand flies and midgies seem worse on the inland side.
The main beach is designated as a dedicated road so keep left and 80km/hr speed limit applies. (Watch out for the speedsters)
Courtesy used to be put your left indicator to show you are pulling left if approaching a car which seems in doubt about your direction. It seems to have been forgotten these days.
If you have a lot of time, stop and help some backpackers in hire 4wds. They are always getting stuck. You can spend all day helping them.
Beware of hook pt above half to 2/3 tides.
Time your beach runs to suit the tide. Do the inland tracks on high tide.

Most importantly, relax and have a good time!
FollowupID: 375706

Follow Up By: Nick R - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 09:56

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 09:56
I second all that. The west coast is really pretty, especially Wathumba creek, even better without jet skis.
Ran the LC80 tyres at around 14 psi and it went like a train in all conditions, even the really soft stuff, just sailed past bogged troopies and landies. (didn't stop, they had help)
In January the march flies were hurrendous but should be a little better now.
Could you look out for 3 tent poles about 15 min north of Frasers!!!
Only did 3 nights but could have easily done 10-14.
Have fun,
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 375817

Reply By: Grungle - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:43

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:43
Hi JB,

We did the trip in 2003/2004 and had a ball. Trip report can be seen here on my website. My recomendation is to spend a day or going to some of the less travelled areas that involve the history of the area and the rest doing the usual lakes etc. Some of the tracks we travelled are rarely used but took us to some amazing places.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 120614

Reply By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 19:16

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 19:16
Just back from a five day visit to the island last week.

Conditions really good. After all the recent rain, the tracks were very firm. But conditions do change quickly.

Four days will only give you a taste of what the island has to offer.

The people travelling with us were from europe and were travelling in rented troopies - they had no trouble negotiating any of the tracks.

Caution - the buses always have right of way.

We watched whales from the top of Indian Head - as well as all the other usual sealife.

With only four days on the island I would suggest camping two nights somewhere like Central Station while touring the central lakes area, and then moving further north to Waddy or Dunduburra to see the middle area of the island.

Any talk of beach conditions now would be a bit premature if you aren't going there for another couple of months. Just be cautious - conditions can change dramatically overnight.

Camping during school holidays get very busy in places like Waddy and Dundubbura. If conditions are good, and you don't mind lack of facilities, try camping on the beach in the 'Maheno - Dundabbura' area.

Nice overnight camp area at Lake Allom - small clearing in the rainforest. Love watching the turtles swimming around in Lake Allom.

Beware of the new campfire rules.
AnswerID: 120669

Reply By: S&N - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 00:57

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 00:57
in line with the spray your car thing. there is a car wash in/near mermaid beach (just ask a local) that is brushless(dosent touch your car) that sprays an oil mixture on your car for when you go beach driving. it even sprays up under your car. i used it and would recomend it.

just my 2cents worth!!
AnswerID: 120724

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:01

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:01
Thanx mate . I will try to locate this car wash and give them a call to see that they still offer this service if so Im keen to even put a double coat ....1 at home and 1 when Im about 2 get on the Island ??

Thanx again..JB.
FollowupID: 375939

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 07:18

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 07:18
JB,
We've been to Fraser a few times now.... last time was last ANZAC DAY. It's a beautiful place! There is some good advice on the above posts about camping and "must-see" spots....... although I think you'll find Champagne Pools has been closed, it was in April and wasn't mentioned on the map even.

The one thing I will stress is the "kit" that comes with the permit.... read it thoroughly and stick to it! We always have and have NEVER had a problem with the wild life. (It's not just dingoes, but the monitors and the crows etc as well).... we have been camped adjacent to people who haven't been so 'tidy' and they usually wake up complaining that the "dogs" have raided their camp!

The inland tracks are great driving, even when dry and soft... tyre pressures are the key and our preference is to drive in low range on them, our Patrol chugs along nicely in low 3 or 4 along these tracks! (Someone above mentioned taking their trailer??? we took ours and drove it on the tracks around Happy Valley as a "learner".... no problems!)
I agree with the "Don't-Drive-On-The-Western-Side" rule!!! Good chance are it will be "Good-bye-Fourby" if you do!

There are some absolutely beautiful lakes, not just Mackenzie, as beautiful as it is... check out Wabby, Birrabeen, Boomanjin, Allom, Garawongera.... heck, All of 'em!!!

Have a great holiday, 4 days isn't enough but it is a start. And remember to leave it cleaner than you found it!
;-)
AnswerID: 120738

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:06

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:06
Its incredable the advice you people are willing to take the time to give
I just thought Id say thanx again and its all going into a folder which Im going to print out and take away with me .

Cheers JB.
FollowupID: 375941

Reply By: GEG - Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 11:11

Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 11:11
A friend of mine who kept getting bogged in his Xtrail, was told some good advice, that is take a piece of carpet as this will help your tyres get traction when bogged in sand and help get you out.

If you forgot to bring some you can always use your floor mats :(.

But you can usually get cheap stuff and use them in the tent when your not driving.

cheers & good luck.
AnswerID: 122985

Sponsored Links