Popped a Bead-Is my tyre dead?

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 18:29
ThreadID: 24810 Views:1922 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi people,

I popped a bead in the mud today running about 20psi.I hit the side of a rut pretty hard. Was snatched out, and had the rim spinning inside the tyre while driving to assist the snatcher.

Is my tyre gonna be rat$hit. I will go to the tyre shop tomorrow, but would love to hear good new tonight...or tomorrow. I know only a submersion will be proof, but from other peoples experiences?

Cheerio
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 20:09

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 20:09
too hard to say without looking, chances are it will be fine.
AnswerID: 120821

Reply By: Pluto - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 20:50

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 20:50
The tyre structure should be OK if the sidewalls and beads appear undamaged. Clean up the tyre, have a look for obvious cuts or gouges. If you find none. Stick it back on and pump it up.
AnswerID: 120835

Reply By: Leroy - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 20:55

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 20:55
Tyre will prob be ok. Need to pop it off the rim and clean all the mud out before reseating it.

Leroy
AnswerID: 120838

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 21:28

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 21:28
WheelTravel,
As mentioned by Truckster hard to say unless you see it. Unfortunately I pop my tyres off regularly on my Rangie, I did today whilst playing in Harvey. Mine do so because I run low pressures, I try not to run pressures below 25 psi but this will depend on your own vehicle and the type of driving you do. For me 25 is a compromise. It's VERY important that the tyre house remove the tyre completely to clean the rim properly, wire brush the rim till it's clean and don't let them use soap when they put the tyre back on. I usually find my tyres go down about three days after a trip when the mud dries out, then it's usually the tyre that's in the sun that goes down first. Make sure you get the stick on weights if you can, the clip on weights tend to drag the dirt into the tyre rim.
As usual my opinions & experiences.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 120844

Sponsored Links