thinking of buying a gray import

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 19:23
ThreadID: 24814 Views:1778 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi there i am thinking of buying a 1987 VX turbo diesel auto with PTO front and rear diff locks has only done 147000 klm it has the 24 volt electrical system what are these cars like to get parts in victoria and is there any chance of getting a owners manual for one of them

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: angler - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 20:25

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 20:25
Check on insurance costs first.
AnswerID: 120825

Follow Up By: Burgo31 - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 20:28

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 20:28
thanks angler i have done that and i should only be around the $550 mark
FollowupID: 375887

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 08:21

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 08:21
As has been stated on here before the 24v is actually better than 12v. If you need 12v for accessories fit a Redarc Charge Equaliser. This gizmo allows you to take 12v from either battery and all it does is automatically float the batteries at the same potential. In simple terms think of it as a pipe between two water tanks, you take water out of one and the pipe (equaliser) flows water from the second tank so that the level is maintained.
I've had one in my Humvee for over three years now, same pair of batteries too.
Peter
AnswerID: 120881

Reply By: GraemeD - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 15:03

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 15:03
I've got a very similar vehicle, but a manual without the PTO (I wasn't keen on the foot or so wide bumper that the PTOs seemed to require).

I'd second the opinion that you should get a charge equaliser. One thing to bear in mind is that the power rating of each unit (I got the CE20) equates to how much current it can supply for charging, not how much current you can take off each battery (which is limited by the battery itself). I had thought "the bigger, the better" but was told that the larger one wasn't needed in most instances.

Have a look at http://www.birfield.com/postp531.html for more information/opinion.

Also, for manuals, have a look here http://www.birfield.com/downloads-cat-1.html There's none for the 12HT engine, but some of the other stuff is applicable.

As for spares, the majority of mechanicals are interchangeable with the Australian spec cruisers, but obviously the electrics can be harder to get. I ended up replacing a 24V windscreen washer pump with a 12V one. No problem on that front, it just means my windscreen gets jet washed quite regularly! Other components will be more voltage sensitive though. With the amount of imports arouond now, there's bound to be a few in breaker's yards (or whatever you call them over here).
AnswerID: 120933

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 17:47

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 17:47
I've seen what just like that, a freind of a friends has got it, it's pretty cool... Kind of looks like a 75 series Bundera! :-)

From the looks of them they'd be as tough as any other cruiser, I'd also guess that they are going to become extremely popular so parts will possibly get easier to get a hold of, not harder...
AnswerID: 120966

Sponsored Links