toyota 8o series power steering leaks

Submitted: Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 18:29
ThreadID: 24837 Views:12680 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
my power steering has started leaking from the steering box and the pump . is not to bad at this stage only annoying drips on the carport cement . what is the go to fix the leaks can they be overhauled with new seals or is it a change over situation . has anyone been through this any advice would be nice, we have been receiving good rains in the Victorian Mallee it should be a great year in the sunset country and big desert for travelling , the wild flowers should explode this spring,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: age - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 18:58

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 18:58
Hi Mallee Sundance

My 80 series power steer box and pump weeped fluid for 2 years with no damage. Initially Toyota could not find the source and as it was leaking very small amounts like yours, they said it was fine to leave it as long as I topped fluid up. In the end I was planning a big trip, so got them fixed to stop them being a liability. They overhauled them with seal kits (cost about $170), but the bulk of the cost was labour. All up was about $800. Rang around to see what change over products cost and worked out about the same. Just note that the pump and box are a bit difficult to get to, to diagnose the leak - the fluid source may be nowhere near where you see it weeping along pipes and dripping to your driveway. Asit was the seals in both components were shot.

Cheers

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 19:05

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 19:05
Hi

My 80s has a small leak from the pump. A few years back I got a local mechanic to replace seals, which fixed it for a couple of years, but it came back, and I have left it until it got quite bad, which it is now. In your case, a wash over the pump and box will be needed so you can spot which it is.

In my case, its only a teaspoon of auto transmission fluid every few weeks, and a bit of newspaper on the floor of the garage to catch it. I intend to get it done when it goes in for a major service in three or four weeks time but am not panicking. I presume it will only be seals again.

I am being lazy and getting it done by someone else, but looking at the Gregory's manual it does not look like rocket science to pull either the pump or the box apart and put in a new seal kit.

Must find time to get down your way while all the flowers are out.

Cheers
Max

AnswerID: 120981

Reply By: 120scruiser - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 19:13

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 19:13
The pump is an easy fix.
You can buy a seal kit from toyota for about 65 bucks.
Pull the pressure hose off and the supply hose. Both relatively easy to get to.
Pull the pump off. Two nuts at the rear and the pump will come off.
Split the pump three bolts I think.
Replace the big o ring between the two halves and put it back together.
Replace the supply line o rings and the pressure hose o rings and put it back on.
A bit of degreaser to clean it and refill with auto fluid.

The pump leaks down onto the steering arms and because of the angle it runs from the passengers side to the drivers side. The box's aren't reknown for leaking but the pumps are buggers.

The box's are a different story. Usually around the 450 dollar mark for exchange.
I think the pumps are around the 300 dollar mark from memory but you can do it for about 65 bucks.

Cheers
120s
AnswerID: 120984

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 19:19

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 19:19
Mal
Im not the one for quick fixes, I would rather spend the time ripping it out and fixing it if I thought it was only temporary but I swear.... The best stuffI ever used was the power sterring stop leak! There a few that make it, I have tried the Wynns and the Nulon and they are AMAZING!!!

I have even had a few friends with small leaks throw the stuff in and thats the end of the prob!!

If its just a small leak then I wold say, save you dollars till the thing really $hits itself and throw it in! I spung a leaky pump across the donahue and plenty Hwy and looked into fixing it at Alice but they wanted $1000s and a few days for shipping!! Threy the stuff in to get me to Perth...fixed the pump AND THE BOX and lasted for over three years and 150 000km. Pump eventually went (bigtime and common Isuzus) and after fixing it, the box finally let go too, didint like the new fresh pump I think.

Try it.. you have nothing to lose but I dont think you will be dissapointed!!!

Matt.
AnswerID: 120986

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 20:53

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 20:53
Gday
As suggested there are kits to be had for the pump and the box, aftermarket box kits are 80 bux as compared to 270 for yota...
Would suggest you clean down unit and have a good look after a small time...common for the pressure hose to start leaking/weeping long b4 they burst.
Another timebeing fix is ti put a small amount of brake fluid in the reservoir which will swell the seals back up.
Andrew
AnswerID: 121013

Reply By: joe1 - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 23:01

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 23:01
HI there, Had the same problem in my 80 series and this stopped the oil leaks and noisy steering Manufacturer: LUCAS POWERSTEERING STOP LEAKE
Part # LUC-10008.
Just wait till the reservoir is low and refill it with the above product. I was a bit sus using any sort of stop leake products but this worked well.

Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 121042

Reply By: mallee sundance - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 13:55

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 13:55
thank you all for your advice will try the kits and hopefully should fix the leaks,will have a good look at hoses. its hard to tell the fluid goes everywhere
AnswerID: 121105

Sponsored Links