Coast camps in Qld

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 10:55
ThreadID: 24863 Views:8885 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Loking for other sites like Inskip Peninsula (Rainbow Beach) up the coast of Qld that allow dune camping in a great environment at a reasonable cost. Don't want to have to join the caravanners lined up in caravan parks.
Anyone know of similar sites or maybe some Q'landers can help.
Thanks
Rusty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 11:24

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 11:24
How far up North and do you want to include Forrestry Camping Spots
eg
Kenilworth has 2 fabulous Camp Grounds as Charlie Morland and Little Yabba Creek plus up at Jimna there is Peach Trees but it is a bit from the Coast
2.Then up behind Cardwell is Murray Falls camp area
3. Then above Cooktown there is Cape Melville
4. South of Bundaberg is Woodgate and nearby you can camp on the Beach behind the Dunes
5.I havent been there for a while but Town of 1770 is supposed to be good
6. Bribie Island North End -Morton Island ,Fraser Island are all good camping

Try getting hold of Dirty Weekends Book - it has a lot of info
Have a good time
AnswerID: 121090

Reply By: RustyHelen - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:25

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:25
Should have been more specific.
Looking to just do an easy winter getaway from Vic so would not go too far North. I guess Sunshine Coast to Townsville would do us.
Also be interested in similar sites in northern NSW coast to use as staging points.
AnswerID: 121098

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:30

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 17:30
Rusty,

As this is a secret and favorite spot of mine I hope you don't tell anyone else.
Try Carmilla beach, not very expensive (free!!), great fishing and camp in back of dunes.
Look for carmilla service station on the Marlborough strech (Rockhampton - Mackay ) and turn towards the coast at this intersection, it is then 6km down to the beach. Absolutely magic.

Depending on the time of year, we can often camp there and be the only one's there but that's in summer. Winter is full of the caravan brigade (nothing wrong with them I have one too) but they often can't or won't go right up in the dunes to get away from everyone so still lots of private spaces if you have the right setup.

Enjoy and don't tell too many folkes so the beauty doesn't get spoilt.

Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 121151

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:00

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:00
Interesting Trev. Nearly stopped there last year going up to Dingo Beach from NSW. Maybe this time. Going up again in 4 weeks. Do you know what Clairview is like? That was the other we nearly stopped at.

Dingo Beach/Hydeaway Bay are nice spots, Rusty
FollowupID: 376202

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:33

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:33
Steve,

I agree about dingo beach/ Hideaway bay, but I think the camp ground has gone now so don't know if you can camp there or not now. Don't quote me on that.

Clairview is nice but am not sure if there is any FREE camping at Clairview, is a caravan park though.

That was the other thing I was going to say, at Carmilla there is no amenities if you get right up in the dunes, but there is a drop dunny if you camp with all the "grey nomads" (politically incorrect I know). At Carmilla - when you drive toward the beach, the road veers left or right like a T junction. Camping is the right turn and boat ramp is the left. If you continue past all the campers, on the right turn, the track keeps running paralell to beach (southward) with another good fishing creek to the south of all the camping spots. This is well worth a fish also.

If you are looking for another cheap campground further south of here try a council run campground at St Lawrence. On your way into St Lawrence on your left, not much there but good amenities block and the creek is great for fishing. Pub has great counteries.

Calliope River rest area is another favourite, this is about 5 or 6km north of the Calliope turn off. Can be hard to find but if you ask the locals at the servo at the Calliope turn off I'm sure they will point you in the right direction. Also a freebie.

Hundreds of places like this up and down the coast, ask some of the campers around you and they often tell you of other spots further north or south of where you are.

Cheers Trevor.
FollowupID: 376209

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:55

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:55
Trev,

the only campsite in the Dingo Beach area is Hydeaway Bay. Not a real genuine cheapie, but as commercial campsites go not bad at $140 p/w for a powered site. Not crowded even in the high season. I suppose it's not that well known. There was another at Earlando resort, just down the road but they closed it down. Owners passed it on to their lucky offsprings who couldn't be bothered running it, so they live there instead.
FollowupID: 376215

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 21:10
Steve,

Earlando was the place I was thinking of.
Did not know of the other one at Hideaway Bay.

Cheers Trevor.
FollowupID: 376247

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:55

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:55
Most of the sites mentioned are in 'Camps Australia Wide' (3rd edition just released). Good to get confirmation from people who have used the sites. It's a pretty good guide to free and cheap camp sites around Australia. Haven't used many of them yet, but plan to start soon. I think the Explore Oz Shop has it. If not see campsaustraliawide.com
AnswerID: 121233

Sponsored Links