GPS & Touch Screens.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 14:43
ThreadID: 24871 Views:2051 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Looked through the archives put could not find the answer. Did get lots of other info that I did require and haden't even thought about yet.
I have a Garmin Etrex Summit hooked up to the Laptop, not real good for SWMBO who has to have it on her lap. Her own fault as she won?t drive.
I am looking at mounting the laptop under the seat and installing a touch screen.
2 Big questions.
1. Can I use the screen of an in dash DVD player? Can you get these that will take the video feed from the laptop?
2. Where can I get a cable to go from the GPS to the laptop? The one I have is about 1.5 mt too short.

Thanks
Vince
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 15:05

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 15:05
I hooked my laptop to my 7inch in-dash video screen, and the resolution was so poor that I didn't have any hope of getting oziexplorer to be usable.

I've now got an NEC tablet PC T400, that I think is perfect for the car. Its the same size as an A4 piece of paper, weighs 1kg, has a touch screen (using a pen), so theres no need for a mouse or keyboard, and has a crystal clear 10.4 inch screen. It also has a 20gig HDD, and a CF card reader, so I can download photos. 3 USB ports.

I've used it for a few trips now, and its great. I also made a console and it forms the lid. Theres a couple of photos in my photo gallery.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 121121

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 15:22

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 15:22
Thanks Phil
Had a look at your rig pics. Looks like a great way to do it and my cabel would reach. How much was the tablet PC ??
Other question from the rig pic. Where do you have the auto tune for the HF mounted ?
Vince
FollowupID: 376177

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 16:27

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 16:27
Hi Vince,

You can easily buy an extension for your cable. Most computer shops have them.

Tablet cost me $1900 about 5 months ago. They are a runout model which used to sell for $3000. Hit the link on my original reply - it takes you to ITWarehouse, who still have them in stock I believe.

Theres lots of other tabletPCs around - most are around $3-4,000. Most are much bigger, but will include extras like drives etc. I like the NEC because its so small. I carry it to work, plug in a wireless mouse and keyboard, run it off a wirelessnework, and I'm away. The processor is a bit slow and its only got 256Mb ram. But I'm not a power user.

Autotune is mounted on the rear of the canopy, next to the spare (just added an extra photo of this).

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 376189

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 16:03

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 16:03
Most in-dash screens will give a poor resolution as they are setup for video use and not VGA resolution. If you can source an LCD screen (such as the Lilliput units - that also have touch screen capabilities) these have a VGA input for connecting to a PC and the resolution is fine for OziExplorer.

But the Tablet PC would be a great option, albeit more expensive than using an existing notebook with an external LCD screen.
AnswerID: 121134

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 16:30

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 16:30
Hi Sam,

I use the Tablet as my work and home computer, so could justify the expense. I velcro it to the console, so its very easy to remove, and I never leave it in the vehicle. Come to think of it, I velcro nearly everything in my vehicle :-))) Very easy to remove and adds a good degree of shock protection.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 376190

Reply By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 19:18

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 19:18
Do a search in the archives for Lilleput and you should find a few answers . It's what i use and works fine .Carn't get it in oz through , must get it thrould e-bay . Make sure you get a touch screen VGA , otherwise , it won't work .
AnswerID: 121174

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 19:25

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 19:25
Just found the box . Lilliput . TFT-LCD From, EXTREME AUDIO ELECTRONICS Website www.ex-audio.com (i think) Thay are in Hong Kong . Hope this helps . Cheers Errol
FollowupID: 376219

Sponsored Links