Submitted: Monday, May 28, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 249 Views:18672 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We recently had a bad experience with cryovac meat
on a trip across the Simpson. All of the meat
(red and white meat) was off within three days
of purchase. It was stored at around 15 to 20
degrees. The butcher now says cryovac meat must
be refrigerated and will then last 2 weeks at best.
This is vastly different to other advice we have
received.

What experiences have other people had?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cameron Allison - Monday, May 28, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, May 28, 2001 at 00:00
Peter, I have used and eaten cryovac meat on several occasions on trips up north that was up to 3 weeks old. i keep it in the bottom of my fridge on the lowest setting, it may start to look a touch green but if its sealed properly and smells OK then it should be OK. I have heard that it should keep up to 5 weeks in a fridge. Best of luck next time, Cameron
AnswerID: 545

Reply By: Will - Monday, May 28, 2001 at 00:00

Peter,
All meat has to be refrigerated or it will go off.... You were told the wrong thing it seems....
I used it and as long as you refrigerate it it lasts longer than normally kept meat but it has to be kept in the fridge at all times....
the cooler the better
AnswerID: 546

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Monday, May 28, 2001 at 00:00

Peter,
The last reply is incorrect - you do not have to refrigerate cryovac meat. Food deteriorates due to oxygenation and vacuum sealing methods - eg. cryovac ensure that no air gets in. It is possible that in your instance the bag got pierced accidently, meaning that some air did get in - that would definately result in food spoiling in 3 days. This is a good reason in itself not to cryovac meat with bones, eg. T-bones as these can pierce the bag. The bones themselves also tend to make meat go off quicker. The rule is generally this: 6 weeks for red, de-boned, uncut meats if cryovac and refrigerated. Beef last best, then lamb. Pork, chicken, mince and any cubed or sliced meat will last least. Chicken in cryovac and fridge is best eaten within 2weeks. Never mix meats in cryovac bags either. Also, buy the freshest best meat you can find.Just so you know, David and I lived for 2 years inclusive off cryovac meat whilst travelling around Australia and only once threw away meat. Often it appears slightly green and a bit slimy after a few weeks but we simply rinsed it off and aired it for half hour before preparing. This seemed to rejouvenate the meats appearance. Off meat is easy to detect of course and you should not take chances eating something that concerns you. It is best to have your cryovac packs prepared in one meal pouches too. We did always store our meat in the bottom of the fridge, and keep it at around 2-4 degrees but I have travelled with others who had no fridge and they had no troubles with cryovac meat using the above methods.So I suspect your meat was either a bit dicey at time of purchase, the bag wasnt perfectly sealed or became pierced or maybe you mixed white and red meats in the same bag. Better luck next time! - Michelle Jacka
AnswerID: 547

Follow Up By: Will - Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 00:00
Dear Exploroz team.
On our last long trip we did the following test:
In Mt Isa we asked the butcher to pack the same meat, same amount and same packing (basically split in two packs).
Room in the fridge was scarce so we packed some in the fridge and some outside the fridge.
None got pierced. The one outside the fridge lasted four days. It was still vacumed pack when we opened it.
We opened the other one two weeks later and it was fine, but it had been kept in the fridge.
Any butcher we asked afterwards has agreed with us.
FollowupID: 144

Reply By: Stephen Mills - Tuesday, May 29, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 29, 2001 at 00:00
Cryovac packed meat will extend the life of meat for weeks if properly vacuum packed, no bones and kept cool. If you leave it out of a cold chest / fridge its life will be shortened. Meat quality, packing, and refrigeration will determine how long it will keep. Your butcher or anyone else will not be able to give you a specific time limit on its life!

steve
AnswerID: 552

Reply By: Roger Lowry - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2001 at 00:00
My wife and I have been using cryovac meat for the last 5 years and have found that if we keep it refrigerated it will last anything up to 5 weeks.We always keep our meat in our engel 39ltr fridg set so the temp is approx 5deg cels which keeps the wine and beer chilled also.
Cheers Rog
AnswerID: 796

Sponsored Links