Roof Rack

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:39
ThreadID: 24902 Views:1893 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I have just purchased a roof rack for my hilux d/cab second hand only been used twice off a 99 pajero . It's the type that you use 2 rola racks that hold down onto your rain gutters then the rack is clamped to them. As the hilux has no rain gutters I want to mount the rack on top of the rear canopy, which is the same size no overhang . The rack is rated to 150kg, I will only be using it so I can carry extra 2 spares. Is there any form of instuctions/diagrams that I can follow so that I can build an internal support frame so I can mount it to the top of canopy. Would like the frame to be part of the canopy if possible so that if I reqiure to remove canopy the supports will go with it. Thankyou Vitara
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: See You - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 14:12

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 14:12
ARB have the exact thing that you are after. It is an internal support for a canopy rack. Go and talk to them or go in and copy their design. I am sure that other companies may have them also.
AnswerID: 121302

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 14:32

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 14:32
Have you already got the rola racks or are you going to buy them? Because you can fit the tracks and put Rhino racks onto the lux without gutters, have a gander at my rig pics.
AnswerID: 121307

Follow Up By: vitara - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 21:47

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 21:47
Hi Jeff M I didn't get the racks as I intend to put the rack on the canopy as I dont want to drill holes in the cabin roof,also I want to be able to take the canopy off and also the rack when round home town.only use when we go away.I like to take the canopy off for safety reasons as is very hard to see out of in car parks,vision kids etc.Probably sounds a bit stupid to some people but the less chance of any accident happening.I rang a canopy place today and went and had a look good set up 2simple bars run up either side of canopy (internal) across the top with a flat plate with 4 screw holes on each mount 2 mounts up back 2 up front 2 foof bars ontop with 2 flat plates on each bar. These marry up with the plates under neath and four bolts on each plate holding together . the rack will then be clamped to the roof bars similar to your pics looks preety solid took pics with mobile phone will see if my maintanance crew at work can do a foreign order for me Thankyou Take Care Vitara
FollowupID: 376484

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 13:09

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 13:09
No worries Vitara. FYI though the bars when fitted to the tracks come off with only one allen key screw. It would be very possible to take them off around town, I leave the sportz bars on as they don't make any diff around town, I do take the basket off though.

Drilling hole in the roof, yeah I know what you mean, because of that I got someone else to do it (I very seldom pay someone else to do stuff as I don't trust the buggers!) but it worked out good, they look factory!
FollowupID: 376551

Sponsored Links