Rattle somewhere underneath

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 15:37
ThreadID: 24910 Views:1795 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hoping for some thoughts here. Its a Prado, and a couple weeks back I heard a quiet rattle coming from underneath the truck. I wasn't in a position to crawl under, and I could not isolate the location of the rattle, seemed to come from different places depending where I listened. Its quite intermittent, comes and goes, and is never there when I am able to crawl under the truck. I hear it rattle louder suddenly if I give it a quick rev. Best I can describe the sound, is like metal lightly touching the blades of a revolving fan (cept this noise doesn't appear to come from the front of vehicle). Thought perhaps a muffler baffle, but when I give them a whack by hand there's nothing.

Wondering what might be causing it, and if it needs looking at.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 15:55

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 15:55
Also, the best guess on the location of the sound is somewhere between the transmission (including that area) and the rear diff.
AnswerID: 121316

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:09

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:09
I'm guessing its a V6 because the snorkels on the RHS.

Its fairly common for the two rear brackets holding the subtank guard to fatigue and break off. Usually happens after corrugations - the guys in the Kimberley are pretty good at welding them.

Also check the front sway bar chassis rubbers - if they are splayed out, then they are stuffed - best to replace them with polyurethane.

Also check the rear shock absorber upper shroud - the factory ones can break around the top.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 121319

Follow Up By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:21

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:21
Thanks Phil. Yes, V6 petrol. Will look at those things next available time in daylight.
FollowupID: 376390

Reply By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:17

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:17
I had a thin plate of metal rust out its welds on my resonator which caused the same effects and had me guessing for a while. Have you checked all your clamps on the exhaust system as well?

PS- I have the CAV (as sold by ARB) anti-rust system in the car.
Good to see evidence of it pulling its weight.

AnswerID: 121322

Follow Up By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:24

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:24
Yeah, did had a look at everything holding the exhaust pipe to the chasis. Didn't see any problems. But there is bugga all holding it on in the first place. One up near the transfer, the other near rear diff.
FollowupID: 376391

Reply By: pheonix - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:36

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 16:36
Tonestar,

I have a 2000 RV TD Prado. Also at the moment I have a screeching noise coming from the vehicle. I thought it was the belts as it was happening when I de accelerated. I had all of the belts replaced last Friday. I still have the noise. The vehicle has been on hoists and there are no problems with the exhaust apparently either. I still think its something to do with the belts or pump, we'll see next Tuesday when it goes back.

If anyone has a good knowledge of these vehicles, I would be greatful of the heads up as it's driving me crazy.

Great Forum, with some very interesting threads.
AnswerID: 121326

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 19:51

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 19:51
Bit hard to know from the limited description of the noise.

Does it go away with light pressure on the clutch pedal?

If it was related to belts or water pump ot idler bearings, then I'd expect you should be able to tell by sticking an ear under the bonnet. Those noises are usually continuous.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 376448

Reply By: pprass - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 17:32

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 17:32
On the same track as Phil, check the rear sway bars. I just went back to the dealer today complaining of a noise every time I went over a bump - sounded like something wanted to fall off! Turned out to be the sway bar on the rear LHS that had just about lost the retaining nut. BTW - Last Wednesday I had it serviced by the dealer after a 7,700km trip through central aus and asked them to be extra diligent on the bolts and nuts as we went over a lot of rough tracks and that maybe some have loosened. Wondering now if they did much checking and tightening.
AnswerID: 121331

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 22:13

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 22:13
Camry's do the same for some reason.
I think as it moves up and down it slowly loosens the nuts.
We use locktite when we put new nuts on.

For the other nosies on the v6 engine, check the harmonic balancer retaining nut for tension. They can loosen and if left to long it will chew out the front key way and crankshaft. Big dollars to fix.

It also sounds like loose baffles in the cat converters. They can give an intermittant rattle as can muffler baffles.
FollowupID: 376498

Follow Up By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:03

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:03
Thanks guys. One thing though - in laymans, whats a harmonic balancer retaining nut and a front key way?
FollowupID: 376529

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:30

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:30
Sorry Guys
Harmonic balancer is the big pulley on the front of the crank shaft that all the belts as in air conditioner and alternater belts run off.
The key way is the square shaped piece of metal with a half moon shape on one side that locates the balancer.
The bolt is a big sucker that is done up b****y tight to stop it coming off.
FollowupID: 376532

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 17:55

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 at 17:55
Sounds to me more like those damn toyota heat sheilds over the exaust. Mine rattles all the bloody time like that, especially when cold or with a quick rev, just put pressure on it with a screw driver and it'llbleepup. Bang it with a hammer and it'll go away for about 10 minutes then start again, pop rivit it it'll go away for about a month then come back again.... If that's what it is it's nothing to worry about, it's just bloody annoying...
AnswerID: 121334

Follow Up By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:59

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:59
Strange, I only noticed it recently though - maybe its an old noise, maybe not. Am planning on a full under vehicle expedition at next available opportunity. Lets hope the missus doesn't decide to drive off half way through.
FollowupID: 376528

Reply By: pheonix - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:22

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:22
Thanks for the replies, to your question Phil, if I depress the clutch a little bit it makes no difference, as soon as I put my foot on the acelerator the noise goes away. I was originally told it may be dirt/grit on the watsegate, but when I have spoken to a diesel turbo workshop they told me they very much doubt it. Even when I drove it this morning it still sounds like a belt screech/slipping to me.
When it gets warmer as its very coldddddddddddddd in Melb this morning I am going to get under the truck and look at what's been mentioned.

Thanks for the advice from everyone.
AnswerID: 121413

Follow Up By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:47

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:47
I'm glad my post could help you.
FollowupID: 376545

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 14:36

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 14:36
While the motor's running, hold a bar of soap against the inside of the belt (be very very careful not to hurt yourself). That will eliminate any belt noise and tell you whether thats the cause.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 376562

Follow Up By: See You - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:12

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:12
Ignore the follow up above by Phil G (SA). This is the most dangerous thing to do with your fingers. My wife was an IC nurse at Darwin for years before we met. She saw several people per month that had lost fingers in drive belts while soaping up their belts to stop noise.

If you must soap your belts, turn car off, remove keys and get the old soap from the bathroom (the bits that you usually push down the drain with your feet to save having to bend down in the shower) and lubricate the belts by hand. Put any left over chunks between the belt and pulley and it will eventually get squashed enough to be put over the whole belt in about 30 seconds of running.

Phil G you should be ashamed of yourself promoting such a dangerous activity on a public forum. Spankings for you with a tapped whip antenna from all safety minded 4WD enthusiasts that live here.

You naughty naughty boy.

See You NT
FollowupID: 376611

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:46

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:46
See You (NT),
You are absolutely correct. The thought did cross my miind while writing it, hence the bit in brackets. But yeah, should have suggested it with the motor off.

Hmmmm, ICU nurse in Darwin. Better not tell you my occupation :-)))

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 376619

Sponsored Links