Water loss from over flow bottle

Submitted: Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2492 Views:1642 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 60 series 2H diesel fitted with a after market water cooled Turbo. I am losing approx 1/16 to 1/8 inch of water from the overflow bottle every time the vehicle is used regardless of mileage. This is checked after the vehicle has cooled down.The head has been down up -nothing leaking in system or hoses - radiator done up -system pressure checked etc- no water in oil. Is it possible that once the engine is shut down and there is no water circulating through the Turbo, that the water is boiling in the hose's closest to the turbo and evaporating slightly.If you drop water onto a hot exhaust it will evaporate. I have thought of a cracked turbo housing but if this was the case there would be a greater loss of water over a long distance. All answers gratefuuly accepted.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des - Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00
chris...may sound overly simpile, but, check that the radiator cap is working properly, even new ones can be faulty, or maybe wrong pressure. I know it sounds simple, but have been caught on this before! Good luck with it cobber...Des
AnswerID: 9106

Follow Up By: Chris - Saturday, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:00
Has a new 13lb cap,but even if faulty the water should go into the overflow bottle when hot and get drawn back in when cold. When running the water rises about 2inches above the full mark.
FollowupID: 4576

Reply By: Member - Des - Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00

chris...may sound overly simpile, but, check that the radiator cap is working properly, even new ones can be faulty, or maybe wrong pressure. I know it sounds simple, but have been caught on this before! Good luck with it cobber...Des
AnswerID: 9107

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00

Chris, in a water cooled Turbo do do get a fair bit of expansion of water after the motor is shut down, generally you need to idle down for a longer period. Check when hot to see if the overflow bottle level is up, then check again when cold.

Maybe not a lot to worry about as long as you top up regually.
AnswerID: 9108

Follow Up By: Chris - Saturday, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:00
Have checked both, water level rises about 2 inches from full mark in the bottle when running and checked when cold.You then have the loss of water from the bottle. A bit of a mystery,maybe professor Summner Miller could tell me, why is it so, if he was still alive.
FollowupID: 4577

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00

Chris, in a water cooled Turbo you do get a fair bit of expansion of water after the motor is shut down, generally you need to idle down for a longer period. Check when hot to see if the overflow bottle level is up, then check again when cold.

Maybe not a lot to worry about as long as you top up regually.
AnswerID: 9109

Reply By: Derek - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00
Chris, when I was swinging spanners it was not uncommon for the oil seals in a turbo to weep oil into the impellor chamber and consequently be burnt leading the operator to think that the engine was using oil. I never worked on water cooled turbos but is it possible that water is somehow finding its way into the impellor chamber and then be drawn into the engine. Just a thought.
AnswerID: 9185

Sponsored Links