Troopy leaks

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 21:28
ThreadID: 24948 Views:2521 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Just wondering if any troopy owners have experienced water leaking into the inner rear guard cavities. I assume it is coming in through the rear wheel arches as the water is thrown up during rain but I have to pull the inside panels off and check it out further to make certain it is. Any thoughts on this appreciated, regards, Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stoo - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 21:49

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 21:49
I had the lining panels out to put an amplifier inside ( 2004 troopy ), and noticed muddy water inside. I couldn't find any way that the water could make it inside apart from the vents on each side. I'm careful not to hit the vents with a pressure washer when i clean it, and it makes sense that any water that makes it through should end up inside the cab, not inside the walls, but I have no other ideas. I was thinking of drilling a hole like the front doors have at the bottom to let it out.
Do you think this might be the case?
Stoo
AnswerID: 121519

Follow Up By: Oznuggets - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 23:12

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 23:12
Hi Stoo, I also found some wet mud in the cavity to the front of the rear wheel as well which again leads me to think if it is entering the cavities on both sides of wheel arch then it is probably entering from the arch. I also looked at the vents (mine is 97 model) and from there design it looks like you would really have to blast them to make some water enter. I've known about the leaks for about 18 months since I did some work putting in false floor but now the drought is breaking a little I've decided to pull it apart soon and try fix it. Doesn't sound like a good place for moisture, I thought about some holes as well but then you have the old dust problem, can't win! Peter
FollowupID: 376675

Reply By: Harry - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 22:00

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 22:00
Hey Fellas, there's already a bung rubber there to do just that.
I used mine to feed the pump outlet for my water tank under the rear, behind the rear fuel tank.
AnswerID: 121523

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 22:18

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 22:18
Careful blokes ..... these are starting to sound like Landrovers ..... :o)
AnswerID: 121529

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 22:19

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 22:19
P.S.

At least we have enough bloody holes for all the water to find its way out again.

LOLOLOL
FollowupID: 376668

Reply By: Big Woody - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 06:29

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 06:29
Hi Oznuggets,

This is common mate and I think it all comes in through the side vents. I found mine when I could here water sloshing around somewhere and pulled the inside panels off to find the level of the water nearly right at the top of inner guard.

In the end the only the only sure solution I found was to pull out the big rubber bungs from underneath the car so if the water went in, it could get straight out again.

Cheers,
Brett
AnswerID: 121547

Follow Up By: Oznuggets - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:34

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:34
Thanks Brett I'll double check on those vents again! Cheers, Peter
FollowupID: 376816

Reply By: Peter 2 - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:40

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:40
Having owned a couple of troopies both of which suffered the same problem eventually you might have the symptoms of "the A pillar cracking at the ends of the firewall/scuttle"
Troopies are commonly afflicted with this problem mastly the earlier ones but some later ones with lots of K's with roofracks/loads will eventually suffer the same problem.
what happens is that the bottom of the A pillar crack where it joins the firewall/scuttle area at the front of the truck. The water sometimes drips down onto the floor inside but can just trickle down the inside of the kick panel area into the sill which in turn runs right back to the front of rear wheel.
To see if this is the case remove the windscreen wiper arms (after marking their positions on the spindles), then remove the black screws along the front edge of the scuttle at the back edge of the bonnet opening (open the bonnet to see them)
the scuttle panel is then able to be pulled forward towards the engine and lifted out.
the cracks usually run from the rear of the recess where the bonnet hinge is located around in an arc and down the end of the firewall behind the back edge of the mudguard. The latter can be really hard to see but with a small mirror on a stick you can usually see them. To stop the leaks just apply silicone over it forcing it into the crack if you can. To fix it you have to pull the front guards off and mig it up, paint etc etc usually a panel beater job and it will crack again!
AnswerID: 121631

Follow Up By: Oznuggets - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:37

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:37
Thanks Peter 2 that's very interesting! I've had that panel off before so I'll check it out again, yes I have had a heavy roof rack on as well so wouldn't surprise me if I find something there, Cheers, Peter
FollowupID: 376817

Sponsored Links