jacks

Submitted: Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 02:32
ThreadID: 24952 Views:3086 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just signed up. I read a few topics over the last few weeks. Excellent site with good advice too. We have recently purchased our first 4WD. A 2000 GU patrol. I'm just starting to get some recovery stuff but was wondering about hi-lift jacks. I know it has probably been discussed before with great debate, but my concern is with the GU. Having limited jacking points has anyone used one safely without damaging the vehicle or are there adapters to use apart from the hub adapter to change tyres quickly?
Any ideas appreciated.

B.T.W, Heading up to the Flinders in Sept/Oct. getting tired of unpacking, putting up tent, take down tent, pack trailer etc. etc. Thinking of buying a camper trailer at a later date but would like to hire one for two weeks to try. Any suggestions on hire places around Adelaide?
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 07:35

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 07:35
The idea behind these jacks are great but they are so damn unstable when the car is lifted to change a tyre...
I have a GU and will prob just use a bottle jack or hyd jack to change tyres...
Apart from the rear or front bars there are not many places to jack from....
AnswerID: 121553

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 07:57

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 07:57
Get an exhaust jack. Much more user freindly than a Hi-Lift.

Cheers....
AnswerID: 121557

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:00

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:00
I tend to agree, I have never use a hi lift jack though. I have however used my exaust jack alot and have never seen the need for a hi-lift. Price is not a lot different and they are much easier and safer to store IMHO.
FollowupID: 376783

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:16

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:16
never used an air bag but used a high lift a few times check out post 24690 for pics one of a high lifts uses it also demonstrates the effectiveness of hublifters
FollowupID: 376787

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:57

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:57
I've got an exhaust jack, and have found it rather useless. Its very hard to find a suitable place under the vehicle, given you can't put it under the fuel tanks or exhaust, and the chassis rails often have those body bolts right next to them - thats where hole #1 came from. And the exhaust jacks are just as unstable as a high-lift.
FollowupID: 376794

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:01

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:01
Never had a problem myself Phil, I just whack it under the chasis rail somewhere with a couple of the thick rubber floor mats from inside the car between the bag and the rail, never put a hole in it yet. It really speeds things up if you have a manual throttle control too, the old petrol ferzoa (the car I had when I first got it) didn't have a manual throttle so I used to wind up the plastic screw for the air con idle up, worked a treat! LOL

FollowupID: 376795

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:26

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:26
In years gone by I have used my Hi Lift Jack extensively, especiaslly in the Top End of the NT. But the modern vehicles are not Hi Lift user-friendly and as stated before, they are downright dangerous if you are not careful. I now have an exhaust jack but still have to use it, as normally I use my winch to get me out of trouble and run correct tyre pressures in sand or mud so as not to get bogged. The Hi Lift is languishing in the shed.
AnswerID: 121572

Reply By: Leroy - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:49

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:49
To make your Patrol 'High Lift jack friendly' you need a Bull bar with high lift jacking points or one that can accept adapters, a steel rear bar with the same points and steel side steps that bolt on to the chasis if you want to jack from the side.

Leroy
AnswerID: 121574

Follow Up By: taylortribe - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:48

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:48
hi, thanks for the replies everyone. I do have a bullbar but its just the standars Nissan alloy type the same with the side steps so I wouldn't trust these. I mainly want something thats will do the job quickly however should the vehicle become stuck at any stage like a crevice etc the lift jack may come in handy. Its just a shame it lacks places to lift by.
An exaust just though I might look into.
Cheers.
Shaun.
FollowupID: 376757

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:38

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:38
Just my opinion, but Hi Lift jacks should NOT be used for changing tyres as they are too unstable and as said before should only be used for recovery on vehicles with suitable jacking points on the bar work.
AnswerID: 121585

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 13:47

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 13:47
I agree they should not be used for tyre changing under normal circumstances. I have used Hi lifts a few times but never a jacking point off the bar as they have the disadvantage of being too high and you have to lift the suspension before the wheel meaning you have to use the top 3rd of the jack to get any liftat all were as the same lift can be achieved around 50 cm lower on the jack with hublifter. That said I dont think Nissans have hubs that are compatibale with hublifters (will stand corrected if wrong) Give hublifters a go - you probably wont use your jacking points again!
FollowupID: 376766

Follow Up By: taylortribe - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:53

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:53
From what I have seen there are hub lifters to suit the nissans but only for the front wheels. To me this is a waste of time if its the back you need to lift and not the front. Priced up some exaust jacks today........
WOW!!!!! these are expensive compared to some hi-lift style jack I've seen.
3 Ton $180.00, 4 Ton $225.00 and 6 Ton $273.00.
Does this sound right? They say to to look at 4 ton or even 6 ton to be safer. Any thoughts??????
Somehow my wife is gonna think I'm nuts or just wasting my money with 4x4 fad I've got. LOL.
FollowupID: 376793

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:04

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:04
I'll have to have a look, I bought mine about 5 years ago and it was deffinatally under $200. I'm pretty sure mines the 4 tonne but maybe I'm mistaken...
FollowupID: 376796

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:04

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:04
Taylortribe,

If you do go for the exhaust jack, I'm in Adelaide, and would happily sell you my 4Ton ARB one for say $100. It has one repaired hole (from a bolt)(see post above).

I've set up my truck with hilift jack points on all 4 corners, so dusted off the hilift and have no need for the exhaust jack.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 376797

Follow Up By: taylortribe - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:23

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:23
Hi Phil, appreciate the offer mate, I'll have to leave it for now but when my tax return comes in I will consider it. While I'm at it, does any know where I can get a roof console from for a gu. I want to put my 27mhz and tx3200 in there plus a few other bits n pieces. Most places I've been to can give prices but dont have pics to show what you are buying.
Cheers,
Shaun.
FollowupID: 376801

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:46

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:46
Hi Shaun,

No worries.
ARB make a hi-lift adaptor that hooks under the bumber. Might be worth paying them a visit on South Rd and asking whether that adaptor is suitable for your alloy bar. I've seen them in action and they're not bad, but not as stable as a fixed point. Its pretty easy to get a bracket welded to each side of your towbar for the rear. To put a hilift into the square hitch is very unstable, although sometimes I use it as a beadbreaker there.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 376829

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 05:01

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 05:01
phil, grab a hub lifter, I got 2 for nothing théy are not dear you wont use anything else afterwards. The vehicles we took out bush did not have jacking points ´coz they had hublifters and didnt need them - light years ahead for such a simple cheap item
FollowupID: 376875

Reply By: CitySlicker - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:45

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:45
We recently hired a kimberly kamper from Coolabah Campers and headed into the northern flinders for 10 days. Can't complain about the people or the service and the trailer was in good condition. They are based in Golden Grove if you're interested.

Coolabah Campers
AnswerID: 121587

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:52

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:52
Just some other points. The standard jacks usually struggle with the rear end of a fully loaded Cruiser or Patrol. Its because we are all naughty and load above the GVM. Some people upgrade the jack to a 4 or 6 ton hydraulic jack. But make sure the max and minimum lengths of the jack are OK for your vehicle when it has a flat tyre.

Secondly, flat tyres are usually avoidable. In the Flinders there can be lots of sharp rocks that penetrate the tread of the tyre. So if you take away tyres with plenty of tread, don't drive over 80kph on dirt, don't overload the vehicle, and reduce your pressures to about 25psi when off bitumen, chances are you'll be fine. People who tell you to pump the tyres up hard are usually tyre resellers who like selling tyres. And I always take a plug kit away because we can repair tyres on the vehicle and 10 minutes later, we are on the road again.
AnswerID: 121672

Follow Up By: taylortribe - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 22:25

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 22:25
Hi Phil, some good points there. I usually try to avoid loading the car at all as everything goes in the trailer with the heavy items being over the axle. I find this evens out quite well. Looks like the exaust jack is the way to go. I've never trusted lift jacks, too many bad experiences in the past with normal cars. I need something thats going to do the job quickly plus with our four kids (hence the taylortribe !!!!) something thats going to be safe. I know its not something you use all the time, but when the time does come, safety for my family overides everything.
Most dirt roads that I don't know I usally don't go over 60 kmh as I like to look at the scenery at the same time, plus I don't know when the road could change so why take chances. People with experience is a different story but me, I'm learning. I must get some repair kits though. Keep for getting them. Glad you reminded me. LOL. Only other thing now is air. Still deciding between onboard air or portable.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 376847

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 02:57

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 02:57
I went for an exhaust jack for three reasons.

First.
I have been told on many occasions that high lift jacks are unstable and dangerous, and knowing my luck, the car will fall off the bloody thing at the worst moment.

Second.
The possible damage to my GU, or me !!!

Third.
Storage and weight. I didn't want one of these great big heavy things in the back of the wagon, and the rear door already has enough weight on it with the spare tyre. The exhaust jack weighs bugger-all and is in a handy carry bag which I also use to carry the tyre repair kit and other bits 'n bobs.

Just be carefull of your exhaust and fuel tanks as stated above.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 121701

Follow Up By: taylortribe - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 04:57

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 04:57
Thanks Muzz, thats something I hadn't thought off, Storage and weight.
I've seen a couple of 12 and 20 ton bottle jacks on the net, although these sound overkill a bit, for between 40 and 80 bucks or there abouts I think they are pretty good value and just use an exaust jack for emergencies like beach or uneven grounds etc.
Cheers,

Shaun.
FollowupID: 376874

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 17:29

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 17:29
yea but a high lift looks alot tougher hanging off the back than an airbag under the seat (LOL)
FollowupID: 376918

Follow Up By: taylortribe - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 19:43

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 19:43
This is true, Mmm, wonder how far this could go, bullbar off a Kenworth, twin stacks, truck horns on the roof etc etc... hehehehehe
FollowupID: 376931

Sponsored Links