mobilr phone coverage

Submitted: Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:35
ThreadID: 24955 Views:1947 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
g,day there peoples will be in at birdsville in 2 weeks ,can anyone tell me if they have now got cdma mobile coverage ,i did here that a tower was going up at some time,,thanks steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:57

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:57
Gidday Mate

Unfortunately there's no CDMA coverage in Birdsville and Telstra have informed us it is not even on their long term agenda. There was some talk of them trialling a tower in Bedourie but as far as I know it was just talk. Maybe if the Gov. get desperate in their efforts to sell Telstra something might happen but now that the Senate is also under their control I doubt it.

Safe & Happy Travels

Karsten

AnswerID: 121565

Follow Up By: big-red-hj62 - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:18

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:18
thanks karsten and u 2 willem ,,only seen it on the net ,is probly just a lot of hype ,or getting the outbacks hopes up for the cdma service,,anyway will be up there 2 weeks time (hopefully ) .seeya steve.
FollowupID: 376704

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:04

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:04
Karsten they must be the best paying phone boxes in the nation. I found that political pressure still has some capability after being told that small communities near ski fields were able to attract a tower despite being useful to skiiers only part of the year. I think it depends on wether the MP works hard at it as the Govenment still has a controlling interest and Telstra does still listen to them.

Funny how a small community only 400 kms North has a good working system, but it is a long way to go to use your mobile
FollowupID: 376717

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:59

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:59
Nothing yet mate. Telstra phone boxes or Satphone only. Latest information is that mobile service will not be going in, in foreseaable future.
AnswerID: 121566

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:57

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:57
On my trip to Bville from Emerald,was surprised to see the CDMA only wks in Blackall..None after that....Say Hi to Ruth & Ian at Bv Van Pk..Good time of year to do it..Enjoy..RockyOne
AnswerID: 121578

Follow Up By: Member - John C (QLD) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:17

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:17
On last trip to Birdsville, got a signal for 90k out of Quilpie.
Nothing after that :-)
Few miles and even more kilometres between them.

The worst part of the last trip was a bad bulls eye on the windscreen 100k out of Birdsville from a - wait for it -- a telecom ute coming the other way. Didn't even have the courtesy to slow down or try and pull over a little to minimise stones.
FollowupID: 376798

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 18:17

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 18:17
Aahhh John.......You have just reminded me that a Telecom Ute(maybe it was Aust Post ute) threw a football sized stone at me between Normanton and Cloncurry. We could see it bouncing across the dirt road between Normanton and Cloncurry. Luckily it bounced on the bonnet of the Renault, leaving a great big scar, and over the windscreen. Best thing I have found is to drive straight at a Telecon vehicle. The slow down or go bush....lol
FollowupID: 376803

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:05

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:05
My old man use to drive those Telecom 4bies (and they were Telecom back then) in the Pilbra. One of the mine manager's complaind to him once that everytime he passed him all he could see was his hub caps (air born). ;-)
Mind you it was him and one other bloke looking after an area bigger than Japan! Imagine getting a phone call at 2am from the exchange... BEEP BEEP BEEP. The signal of a line fault. You get up and change out of your jim jams and drive 400kms into the middle of no where in some of the roughest country you'd ever seen; by yourself, in the pitch dark, fix a broken wire then drive home have breakfast and go to work....
FollowupID: 376808

Follow Up By: Member - John C (QLD) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:38

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:38
Nothing personal against telecom workers. Just found it interesting that we are complaining about lack of coverage and the fact that there was a telecom bloke rushing around when we were there.
But having a few telecom friends, I am aware of the cutbacks and sackings.
FollowupID: 376818

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 10:49

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 10:49
Yeah we left Marble Bar after 6.5 years up there in about 1988, when we left they closed the exchange and the guys from PortHeadland then had to take over that entire area as well as their own. (right out past telfer) Obivously now days with satalites and all that there would be less work I suppose but when we left there was still plenty to be done up their, not to mention the fact that the wet season was the busy season and it was very rare that the guys from Port Headland could even get accross the Coogan River to Black Rocks (one of the main repeater stations)!! Stupidity it was.
Even back then their was talk about flogging Telecom, that's where the majority of the cutbacks started, to make it "more profitable". I spose dad did alright though, he couldn't stand working in an office after that (he said "I can't get paid for doing nothing, it's not right") he ended up getting a reasonable redunancy and moved on to bigger and better things....
FollowupID: 376893

Sponsored Links