PS 2 in car 4 kids

Submitted: Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:35
ThreadID: 24972 Views:2180 Replies:10 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Im trying to convince the missus in letting me buy our 2 boys a play station 2 I said to her that Ive heard that you can buy an adaptor for our 100 L/C and also buy 2 strap on screens and they can play games or watch DVDs or even listen to music via head phones , as we are heading to Fraser in OCT it would be great for them , having said that has any one out there done this and if so how and how much did it cost .... if thats not pushing my luck now ..LOL.. any responces would be great .

P.S its really for the kids HONEST!!

Regards JB.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:52

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:52
Yeah right it is for the kid’s.

It is do-able; one of my brother’s friends has a X-BOX hard wired into his Commodore. He has done it using a Inverter in the boot and a 8-inch fold out In dash TV screen and it is all wired in thru the stereo, and with 2 200watt 12-inch Sub’s and 3 way 6*9’s it is a pretty Kick Beep system.

Cost don’t know he did most of it himself, But I imagine it would start to add up.
AnswerID: 121650

Reply By: Casnat - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:16

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:16
Hi JB,

I've been looking into this myself. It seems Sony don't want people to know about it but there are 12V adaptors around for PS2.

Here's a few sites showing them:

http://pcau.com/l4/tak9009.htm
http://www.gamesnet.com.au/prod4601.htm
http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/45117/gaming_consoles_playstation_2_accessories/joytech/5446/ps2_in-car_power_adaptor.asp

Don't know much about them. Sony seem to be steering people away from them saying might damage equipment etc but it looks like someone stole their lunch somehow and they are bitchy about it.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has used one.

Cheers
Trevor
AnswerID: 121661

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:31

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:31
Hi JB
Aldi have cool 7inch widescreen that are dvd players with video inputs to take the ps2 for about $349 each and come with headrest pockets and all over the 12v adaptors and battery. It is just a tiny unit and it has not missed a beat yet, even played dvd's across the simpson. very small and compact. Has audio in and out and video in and out, both digital, and full remote control. Worth a look for the price. We have our hooked up through our stereo with dolby digital home theatre.

Enjoy fraser, get the kids out fishing and exploring, plenty to keep them amused

ads
AnswerID: 121666

Reply By: turnitup - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 22:48

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 22:48
Hi JB, I have just purchased two 8" portable DVD players on ebay, one for my cruiser & the other for my brother inlaw. He's planning on using his PS2 with it. They cost us about $260 each. Were doing the trip to Fraser end of september, I'm glad they come with earphones as I couldn't stand listening to Hi Five for 13 hours, Cheers & enjoy your trip Turnitup.
AnswerID: 121687

Reply By: wheeler - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 06:51

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 06:51
Dick Smith also sell a portable in car dvd player that comes with 2 screens and has a heap of games installes. From memery it was about $500
AnswerID: 121704

Follow Up By: crewser - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:32

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:32
last dick smith catalog $389
FollowupID: 376884

Reply By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:54

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:54
Let me tell you , you will never look back. I have a numberof electronic gismos in the car for the kids and they love travel now. I only alow them to use them on long travel and when we are on the black stuff. I had the sam eissues with myy wife .
They can look out the window and learn something she use to say lol

Let me tell you , aftertraveling with out and with, I said for a joke that I was going to remove it. She almost ripped my head off lol . There is no way she is traveling with us if the kids have nothing to do than annoy us she said lol.
AnswerID: 121715

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 19:07

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 19:07
Eric, other kids actually can learn of the country they are visiting. Mate do you think yours do?

Reckon your wife had the right approach way beck then, you just took the easy option to give them American culture.
FollowupID: 376929

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 19:28

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 19:28
Thanks John
FollowupID: 376930

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 20:04

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 20:04
We have had our disagreements John and will, I trust, have many more :) but on this issue we are in 110% agreement.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 376932

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 20:28

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 20:28
Sorry John , you have got my goat here a little .

"Eric, other kids actually can learn of the country they are visiting"

Did you actually read my reply ?
I only alow them to use them on long travel and when we are on the black stuff.

"Mate do you think yours do?"

Mater of fact I think they do John . I find it not a issue that on a 2 day trip somewere , that the kids can watch a movie to pass some of th etime in the car. I guess if it was you . You would spend the entire trip educating your kids.
On my recent trip to the simpson with Dean , I alowed him to watch the odd movie when on the black top and we still had countless conversations about were we were and why we were there .

"you just took the easy option to give them American culture."
Whats the American culture ? Taking kids into the outback but allowing them to watch the odd movie on a long drive on the bitcumen?

Do you play CD's when you drive ?

if the answer is yes , I will be very disupointed, you should be educating yourself and conversing with your wife .

If you catch a plain do you watch the inhouse movies or do you frown and say how Americanised ?

I Take my kids away as often as possible and make it as entertaning as possible to do so , They get to see more of Australia than most of there friends at school , so i guess that they learnt plenty.
Yes as we go , technology expands

FollowupID: 376934

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 20:35

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 20:35
I'm with eric on this one. I bought a DVD player before my Simpson trip and the kids enjoyed the journey far more because of it. As a result so did I. They also enjoyed fossicking for rocks, looking for geckos, climbing sand dunes, reading books, rolling in mud, kicking footies and all the other stuff that goes with any trip. Having modern technology doesn't mean they can't do other things as well.
FollowupID: 376935

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:08

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:08
Pleased to get the spontenaety from you Eric and pleased you get the kids talking too. As to getting on your goat, touche mate. From disruptive sleeping events in Murray Sunset from you to quite a few campers. LOL I actually used that terminology earlier in the year and some didn't understand it.

Was in two planes earlier in the week and there was an Aussie comedy on but I needed to catch up on some news in the papers as it was a couple of weeks since I had seen one. I always turn away from US comedy and many of their movies too as they don't entertain me often. Their culture is very pervasive as their terms are. e.g "great white" instead of "white pointer"

I seldom listen to CDs actually Eric. I prefer to listen to information radio which you can usually get across even the SD. None of the vehicles I have has a CD changer. Yes, there is plenty to talk about while travelling.

You may be pleased Eric that the grandies would love to have a DVD to ease the travelling over distances, and may get one later in the year. I see you actually don't use the DVD too much as you have clarified in the later post. I did read the earlier one too by the way.
FollowupID: 376948

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:16

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:16
" As to getting on your goat, touche mate. From disruptive sleeping events in Murray Sunset from you to quite a few campers."

I disrupted your sleep did I ? and how did I do that John ? By Nick using his compressor ?

Dont bother coming to anything else I organise mate , problem solved
FollowupID: 376949

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:33

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:33
don't bother building anything bigger than it is Eric.

You may have had you name to MS Eric, but Lyn - Mrs Al did the organising. I don't think I have been to anything you organised mate.

As I say above don't build things bigger than they are. I didn't hear Nick's compressor actually, it was others complaining about that big time though.
FollowupID: 376953

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:40

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:40
ok , so it wanst Nicks compressor ,

So what is it that I have done to you to make you so bitter towards me ?
FollowupID: 376954

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:54

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:54
never bitter with anyone mate, least of all you.........
FollowupID: 376956

Reply By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:56

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:56
Save the money and buy them some books instead.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 121716

Reply By: BenSpoon - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 12:15

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 12:15
$240 for a mini playstation-2, 2 controllers and 1 game if you havent already got one. Go check your local car hi-fi retailer and installer for some 12V stable power supplies. Similar to ones for GPS etc, they just level out the voltage sags and spikes for a steady flow, and it rules out the need for an inverter that will get hot. If you already have a PS-2 full size, you can actually replace the internal power supply with the 12V one so its less fiddly bits in the car, and when at home get a 12V power supply to use.

The screen- I got a lilliput 7", which isnt too crash hot for some games. I'd say go an 8". Ebay has some cheap ones. These often run on 12V so there is no hassles there. You may need to get a female-female RCA adaptor to plug the TV cables into the playstations. Headphones.... just make sure the LCD has somewhere for headphones to plug in.

$600 should get you completely setup, installing yourself.
If you dont go with the 12V power supply, a 300W $70 ebay inverter will do it.
AnswerID: 121737

Reply By: sensei - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 02:16

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 02:16
Check out this site for your screens, dvd players etc
www.brashimports.com.au

Prices are coming down
AnswerID: 121793

Reply By: Leonora - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 11:17

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 11:17
We have a portable DVD player (Teac) with two seperate monitors that strap to the back of the seats. It came with a game controller that has a bout 25 games in it (like the old Atari). You can also plug in the PS2 or XBOX. It cost us about $500. It also plugs into the TV in the van as a DVD player. I had some doubts about allowing the kids to spend the whole time in the car glued to the games or DVDs but now I tend to limit it by times or movies times or game missions. I still think I'm taking the easy way out but it saves my sanity rather than the constant argueing. They have learnt that's it's not just open slather and they have to at least appear to be interested when we stop to look at something. I'd love to hear how your trip to Fraser goes. We are going in Dec. and want to take a camper trailer (not an off road) and are looking for advice.
AnswerID: 121799

Sponsored Links