Trackabout trailers

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 20:26
ThreadID: 25011 Views:8559 Replies:12 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am researching before I purchase a camper and have read some stuff here regarding "Trackabout" trailers but would like to hear any down sides to them. From what I can glean most people seem happy with them. I am looking at the SAFARI model and would be pleased to hear your comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robyn J (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 22:18

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 22:18
We have just taken one over to Wa doing 17000ks over bitumen and dirt roads.
No major problems.
We purchased our one new so got the same rims as our vehicle.
We got a drifta kitchen fitted. Worked a treat. The added bench space was used all the time and this bench stopped any thing moving when put toggether as well as stopping any dust getting into the kitchen. We even carred real glasses including wine glasses and proper coffee cups. Hate to drink coffee or wine out of plactic or tin. Only problem we had was on the really corrigated roads and there was quite a few the water pump would pump water out. We fixed this by putting a rubber band around the tap. Have since spoken to John adn he said they had a faulty batch of taps and bring back trailer and he would replace.
The seals on the trailer prevented most of the dust getting into the trailer. Found one side had more and discovered a small hole which allowed the dust to get in but it was such a small amount we werent worried and we went on some very dusty tracks.
The only concern we had was the weight on the front towbar. We had a tilting boat trailer on the trailer, boatmotor and fuel tank on the front on top of the pole carrier which was put onsideways and not upright to allow this as well as a aluminum box which we got made especially to hold buckets standing up.The 4 jerry cans are also in front of the axle so we were right on the weight limit for our car but if you didnt have a boat etc would not be a problem. OUr spare wheel is on the back of the triailer. The stone shield worked well although we had to replace some of the zip clips along the way. We carried between the shield and the storage box a bag containing starter timber for fires with the heavier timber on top of the vehicle. LOts of places u could have fires but no timber available so we always carried a supply with us. We creased the stone shield when a roo hit the car and trailer and we just pushed back into position.
The canvas stood up to realy heavy rain with no leakage and the thickness stopped lights and moon etc from coming in made for great sleep ins in the mornings.
We carried under the bed which we used fitted sheets and a doona a 5ft table - will take smaller next time unless going to one place for a week, 2 large comfy reclining chairs-was I in trouble for them, the ladder and the awning and kitchen and side ends. The cover still fitted and we put the shade cloth for under the tent - a definate must to save the floor of the tent from mud, rocks, prickles etc as well as the kitchen area on top of the folded up tent.
We rarely put up the awning and kitchen end but of course when we go to one place for a week it goes up.
If you want any futher info please contact on email jenkie@optusnet.com.au.
Looking forward to my next trip with the camper.
Cheers
Robyn
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 121852

Reply By: ev700 - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 22:23

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 22:23
Crazy Dog
Had a look at the Safari a few weeks ago and was quite impressed with the willingness of the workshop to meet my needs, even when I asked about 17 inch wheels. How many manufacturers are flexible like that? Sharp price too.

As 'faults' I guess you could list absence of some of the mod cons that $30k+ trailers have like 240V and stainless steel slide in and out drawers but I guess (like me) you're not in the market for an expensive trailer.

I am trying to make up my mind between TrackAbout, Paramount and Castaway and all of these manufacturers appeared very genuine and flexible to me. I don't have the expertise to say which is tougher (if any is).

If you don't mind doing it I'd be interested in your final choice and why.

EV700

AnswerID: 121854

Follow Up By: Crazy Dog - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:32

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:32
Hi EV700,

Had a real good squizz at a Safari today at Boat Scene in Cairns and was most impresssed.

See other response to Rod in the forum.

I think after much investigation that the people who own a Trackabout have made my decision for me. My own opinion as to the quality of the welding, finish and products used are that they are at the upper end of the scale. (I am a tradesperson) As far as layout is concerned there is not a great deal that can be done with a trailer - I guess features make a difference but hey all I want is a box on wheels that I can drag around behind me without breaking, is comfortable and practical and does not have bells and whistles - (dust proof?) the basics are all you need otherwise one may as well stay at home. I/We want to get out and see how the lucky ones live.......

Lance aka "Crazy Dog"
FollowupID: 377093

Reply By: DJK - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 10:15

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 10:15
Crazy Dog

We hired a Trackabout Safari for a trip to Fraser just before Easter.. Another party in our group was looking at purchasing a Jayco but were so impressed by the layout and attention to small details they bought one.... After 8 months of research I am pleased to say we are now waiting for delivery of our Safari. All the trailers had good and bad points.. but we felt overall the trackabout came out on top... They did offer the Stainless Kitchen as an option but after using the Drifta we were impressed with its versatility ...

Good Luck
AnswerID: 121888

Reply By: Rod - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:27

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:27
Hi

Took a Trackabout Safari round Oz from Briz for 4 months in 2001 including the Cape, GRR, Bungle Bungles etc.

Good unit, but made by the previous owner of TrackAbout - Hank.

Good points:
* Basic Trailer construction resulted in a rugged unit
* Canvas work was superior to competetion in a similar price range.
* Were flexible with options, changes.

Problems:
* Suspension was too soft. Springs lost their set by Darwin. Reset plus new leaves.
* Shackle plates and bolts wore out on corrugated cape roads
* Trailer hubs developed fatigue cracks (noticed at Margaret River). Replaced with heavier duty ones
* No Chassis bumpstops. Axle left dents in chassis rails. See problem 1

Overall trailer construction is excellent. Just think the suspension components were underspec. Believe they may have changed supplier from All Trailer Supplies to ALKO since but not sure. Customer service from previous owner was good. Never heard any issues with customer service from current owner.

I'd buy another, just pay attention to suspension components.
AnswerID: 121926

Follow Up By: Crazy Dog - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:22

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:22
Hey Rod,

Thanks for the followup - Yes you are correct re the AL-KO outback shackle springs - just picked up the brochure from Boat Scene in Cairns. I had a good look at the under carriage and it certainly looks capable.

The whole finish of the trailer was exceptional in my opinion (I am a tradesman so am very fussy) and for the dollars is great value compared to some I have seen lately.

Just got to talk the "missus" round now as she is a "hilton camper" and this rig should fit the bill and the budget.

The issue of power in the trailer is not a prob as I will do my self.

As far as the bits breaking I get the feel that the warrantee would cover that for the first 2 years anywhere in Oz anyway.

Thanks again Rod.

Lance aka "Crazy Dog"
FollowupID: 377090

Reply By: Tony F - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:18

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:18
John at Trakabout does make a very good trailer, but have a look at a Outback Camper Trailers at Browns plains or the Camper Factory at Capalaba. Wayne and fiona at Outback have a bit more of a different selection and have been in the busines about ten years longer. As for a Castaway camper, if your soft roading, it is possibly alright, thinking the Cape or the Gulf think again. The big picture is simply you get what you pay for, and sometimes not that. Ask if these people have actually done the hard yards with the trailer themselves. I know personally most around Brisbane haven't. I've taken people to the Cape with a wide range of brands of Camper, and some worth $30k didn't perform particularly well against some costing $9k to $11k. It's all in the experience of the manufacturuer, not the amount of advertising. Choose wisely and ask the questions and you won't go wrong. happy camping.
AnswerID: 121994

Follow Up By: Member - Robyn J (QLD) - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 21:11

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 21:11
When we were looking at camper trailers before purchasing our trackabout. We looked at a number of things.
We didnt liook any futher into the Camper Factory at Capalaba as in our opinion we don't like the tent part of the trailer loading to the roadside and not the passengers side. Feel could make for dangerous camping in some parks.
We looked long and hard at the Outback Camper Trailer at Browns PLains but were not happy that when you had a folding boat rack which we needed had to lift on the passengers side and you were not able to lift up the bed base when the tent was erected to access the trailer. If you didnt have a folding boat rock you can lift up the bed base from the drivers side while the tent is erected.
The fact that we could lift up the bed base while the tent was up and with the boat tilted on the side was a bonus and was certainly commented on during our 17000k trip to WA.
Enjoy looking and working out your choice.
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 377157

Reply By: ev700 - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 09:13

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 09:13
Good to see those with practical experience giving their opinions.

Not trying to hijack the thread but has anyone seen Paramounts off-road and can comment on them or compare and contrast with a Tracbabout?

Paramounts have alloy or stainless steel construction so the anti-corrosion factor is there - but do they stand up to the rough stuff?

Thanks for any comments.

EV700
AnswerID: 122073

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan W (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:14

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:14
About to head off to the Kimberley's for five weeks pulling our Trakabout behind a Grand Vitara - should be interesting. Have not really put the combo through its paces yet apart from some "soft" 4wd around the Tablelands and FNQ coast.
In relation to the camper - spent three days in monsoonal rain at Bramston Beach and nary a leak absolutely bloody perfect. I can't rave on enough about the canvas on the trailer.
Will post a comment about the trip on our return for those interested.

The Trackabout is value for money in my opinion and worth every cent.

FollowupID: 377790

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 16:00

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 16:00
Paramount is a copy of the Pacific , ours is all aluminum [alloy] custom made , advantage is that any modifications you want done during manufacture or even after delivery can and are easier to do as no repainting or regalvanizing required , weight compared to steel is about a 1/3 less , ours fully loaded less than 600kg ,that includes 5x 20lt jerries full of fuel ,3x agm batteries that weigh 18kg ea ,3x 4.5 gas bottles ,75lt full water tank , generator + coleman hot watersystem .2x solar panels =20kg plus all the rest of the odds and sods ,, if we had the same configuration in steel our all up weight would exceed 1tonne ,, the actual chassis is the strongest that we could find crawling under all the trailers at the Brisbane camping show last year, bent as in an upmarket boat trailer[less welds to break]. As for how it handles the rough stuff , goes where ever the cruiser can and does.
FollowupID: 380297

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 16:32

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 16:32
Batteries should read 3x AGM @28kg ea not 18kg.
FollowupID: 380305

Reply By: lloyd1977 - Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 15:31

Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 15:31
gday crazy dog go to a mob called casuarina campers in melboure they will be more than happy to help you there good on price ill give you a number 0397869113 but get in quick there a small company that take pride in there work and we just purchased one recently and it is unreal you wont be disapointed
AnswerID: 122873

Follow Up By: Crazy Dog - Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 15:20

Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 15:20
Thanks for the follow up Lloyd,

My wife is heading of 2 Melb in Sept so I will get her to have a squizz. Is there a web site for these people that u know off. haven't been able to find one..

Lance
FollowupID: 378122

Reply By: lloyd1977 - Monday, Aug 01, 2005 at 19:15

Monday, Aug 01, 2005 at 19:15
hello crazy dog they currently dont have a web site but they can send you a very detailed dvd of there campers. just ring them and tell them what your interested in, and what you wanna see on the dvd and they will do you your very own dvd quiet smart trailers they do ill give you a number i have here its 0397869113
AnswerID: 123196

Reply By: Crazy Dog - Monday, Aug 01, 2005 at 19:24

Monday, Aug 01, 2005 at 19:24
Roger that Lloyd - I will give them a call .

Ta for the info..

Lance
AnswerID: 123199

Reply By: ellisb - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 13:28

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 13:28
Crazy
I recently purchased a Safari after much research and got it down to a Johnnos and the Safari. The attention to detail and the sharp price tipped the balance. I am intending to do a shake down cruise on the Atherton Tablelands.
AnswerID: 125559

Reply By: Crazy Dog - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 20:40

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 20:40
Thanks mate,

If you get 2 Cairns email me and we will have a tinny and chat if u like.

Lance
AnswerID: 125642

Reply By: johnross - Wednesday, Aug 24, 2005 at 15:44

Wednesday, Aug 24, 2005 at 15:44
hello. we have a trakshak 4 sale. It is the hybrid with all the options including solar,boat rack,ect ect. It is only 4 months old & has to go due to a recent back injury. www.trakshak.com.au
AnswerID: 126633

Follow Up By: Crazy Dog - Wednesday, Aug 24, 2005 at 21:20

Wednesday, Aug 24, 2005 at 21:20
Sorry 2 hear about the back John,

How much you got on it?

L
FollowupID: 381269

Sponsored Links