Coleman Single Burner Dual Fuel Stove

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 20:27
ThreadID: 25012 Views:2121 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I've recently purchased the Coleman duel fuel stove (2 burner) and although I've only tried it at home, I'm very happy with this purchase and will look forward to travelling without gas bottles.

I'm considering purchasing the single burner version and am wanting some feedback on it's operation. How does it cope without the wind shield ?
Is it suitable to put a frying pan or skillet on top of it and staying stable?

Would it be feasible to use 2 single burner stoves instead of the 2 burner unit ? (Could be good for space saving)

Thanks in adavnce
Phil P
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 22:23

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 22:23
I have the small single burner unit.

I bought it because it packs away small. In windy conditions, it's crap, you need a damn good windbreak around it.

It is stable enough for a small skillet, but if you want to get to the valve, it's a bit of a chore.

I use mine, or a MSR Dragonfly, for when I'm on my own, and I'm in no hurry for hot water or meals. I company is coming... I take my gas units.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 121853

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:51

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:51
Ditto

I rate our Coleman single-burner along with our MSR DraonFly in terms of general performance, and use the MSR's windbreak around the Coleman when it's windy.

Both are good - but you can crank up the MSR a lot more and burn holes in the bottom of your pan if you want....
FollowupID: 377152

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:31

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:31
Phil,
I initially bought the double burner stove then I decided the single burner stoves were more practical for me. I bought two of them for versatility.
The reasons I went away from the stove were that there was a lot of wasted space and the second burner was pretty useless.
The single burners put out more heat, are compact and as a wind break, I use 3 leaves of 1mm aluminium sheet approx size of A4 paper. The sheets are joined using piano hinge so that they fold flat and take up little room.
Now wolfy would be an excellent person to know for making up the wind breaks. I'm sure he could come up with an ingeneous way of making them.
Cheers
Des.
AnswerID: 121885

Reply By: Tony F - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:37

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:37
Worth trying is the cartridge stove, the ones with the aerosol type gas cartridge. We now have 2 and find them more versatile than a 2 burner stove. Posibly not the most economic, but with 4 cartridges for about 6 bucks at kmart you cant go wrong. For approx 3 weeks we go through maybe 6 cartridges. The btu rating is about 8000 similar to the main burner on a dual fuel, compared to 6000 on a campanion or similar type stove. Another bonus is the case forms a windbreak and the cost is about $25. Happy Camping
AnswerID: 121999

Reply By: at4x4 - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 21:09

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 21:09
I find the coleman fuel also works best, making for cleaner burn, more heat, and more adjustability when turning down for simmer etc.
AnswerID: 122009

Sponsored Links