ABS Brakes

Submitted: Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 23:09
ThreadID: 25055 Views:3640 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Have a lc100 and wondered if anything legal be done to switch off the ABS brakes on dirt roads? Gets a bit scary with loaded trailer and sudden washouts or creek crossings - even at very reasonable speeds.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 23:19

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 23:19
Rob,
Not sure how legal it is, but I've pulled out the fuse on my ABS in the GU and made up a component which replaces the fuse, has 2 wires, an in-line fuse of the same value (7.5amps) and a switch on the dash.
I can now switch off the ABS as soon as I hit gravel. The idiot light on the dash reminds me that the ABS is off.
Works 1000% better on gravel roads now.
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 122037

Reply By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:03

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:03
could you enlighten us dimbo's on what happens on dirt or gravel
AnswerID: 122060

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:07

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:07
Richard,
On loose gravel roads, the ABS gets confused and will not allow the brakes to be applied as much as the driver would like......feels like you're trying to pull-up on ice!!!! scary stuff. I first experienced it on our 2002 trip to Cape York; heading towards various DIPS in the road and approaching faster than I should....hit the anchors and nothing happens; hit the bloody bottom of the DIP at a speed far greater than i would have preferred!!!
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 377264

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:19

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:19
mmm that explains why i had a few broken coopers in the fridge on the track down to wirrealpa on the way back from feral pest control last year...always wondered i hit the a certain floodway hard...
FollowupID: 377267

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:12

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:12
Dont know whether its "legal" or not , but Insurance Co's take a very dim view of bypassing the ABS.

I know plenty of people do it (either pull the fuse , or a switch like Roachie) , but , I haven't had any problems with my ABS on the dirt.
AnswerID: 122079

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:34

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:34
I have had the same problems where the truck will not stop. Some times it is better to have that wedge of dirt build up under the wheels in a pannic stop.
I have a blown fuse that I insert when on dirt. That way the insurance co woiuld never know.
AnswerID: 122081

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:20

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:20
I cannot see why it wouod be illegal as some cars have switches as standard to switch off the ABS when used on dirt or ice. I think early landrovers with ABS have this feature but am not sure.
AnswerID: 122113

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:45

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:45
Blown fuse sounds the go if you are thinking the insurance will think you are not responsible...if they did, they would probably weigh the cruiser and ditch you on that approach....
With the 80 series, you can put a factory dash switch in that turns off the abs.....with the 100, i dont think its that easy.....the switch accross the fuse sounds easiest....
Toyota would be liable for being sued if you could cruise to any speed on dirt with no ABS....but as stated, it sometimes doesnt work in your favour.....
Andrew
AnswerID: 122121

Reply By: kimprado - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:10
Have you guys picked on a problem that really get's my goat!
Why the hell they put ABS on a 4wd (which will be used as a 4wd) is beyond me. Like Roachie, I have had some bad experiences, even at very low speeds. At the very least, you should be able to switch the damn thing off when conditions warrent it.
I'll be talking to Toyota within two weeks about this problem.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 122189

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:20

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:20
What a stupid thing to say , seriously.

The ABS is a safety feature for use on the road. It has saved my butt on a couple of occassions. I wouldn't go without ABS on ANY vehicle in the future.

How do you get to the tracks you drive on . . . ON THE ROAD.

The problem with having a switch is , what if you forget to turn it back on ?

Maybe a auto switch that turns on or off at certain speeds , but , how would it know whether you are on dirt or bitumen ?

I have NEVER had an issue with ABS offroad , maybe a few people have to rethink their driving styles

If YOU want to disable the ABS yourself , go for it , your butt in the sling. There are plenty of others around that would prefer their ABS to stay as it is.
FollowupID: 377424

Reply By: Steerpike - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:50

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:50
All,
I intentionally specified ABS for our '98 Prado after doing a couple of defensive driving courses and seeing the difference it made in braking distance, especially in the wet, and the ability to steer (around the obstacle) while braking. Won't buy a car without ABS now.
BUT.... on the sand tracks of Fraser Is, descending a steep sand track, and the ABS results in essentially no brakes. Had a couple of big scares. In low range, the ABS tuning is much less sensitive, and it works pretty well in the rough (ABS still works, but doesn't cause the same drama). In high range, no brakes. For a couple of trips I drove everywhere in low range so I could have brakes. These days, I unplug the power cables from the ABS pump unit. ABS warning light reminds me that is isn't working. I plug it back in when heading back to the bitumen.
AnswerID: 122218

Reply By: kimprado - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:27

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:27
Flappa,

I've never had a problem with ABS on the road. Off road is when it can become dangerous

Get out there and try it my friend!

Kim

AnswerID: 122366

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:16

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:16
I have , several times , and have had NO problems . . . why would that be ?

Nah , my issue is , you saying it shouldn't be on any proper 4wds ?

Why not ? The vast majority of 4wds sold hardly ever see the dirt. I would much prefer the unit coming the other way , in a wet or dangerous situation to HAVE abs.

If YOU dont like it offroad , fine , disable it like the other guys do , but , its then YOUR arse on the line , not everyone elses.

I cant see how manufacturers could legally have a way to disable the ABS. Brings up too many issues.
FollowupID: 377670

Reply By: Horacehighroller - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 22:40

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 22:40
On the Landcruiser I believe the ABS is automatically dis-engaged when you lock the centre diff.

Peter L
AnswerID: 122430

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:18

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:18
There are different ways. I dont know about the Cruiser , but from memory , on the Patrols , its disengaged when its below a certain speed , 10, 15 kph maybe , or when low range is engaged.
FollowupID: 377672

Reply By: Member - Graham P (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 12:14

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 12:14
I don't see why you would want to disable the ABS, on the trip to the cape I had no gripes with the stopping ability even for the washouts. The bolt came out of the selector shaft while I was in fourth gear and I drove back from fruitbat falls to atheton in fourth gear - no problem. I certainly had the abs working at times but the vehicle still slowed down.

Graham P
AnswerID: 122523

Reply By: goldfinder - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:06

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:06
I too have had bad experiences with ABS in muddy conditions coming down a steep hill. Had both feet on the brake pedal with a corner coming up but was unable to stop the patrol due to the ABS fighting me. I did manage to make the corner but that was one of the most scary feelings i've had, a runaway patrol with virtually no brakes knowing fully that if there was no ABS I would have been able to slow the vehicle with no problems. Got caught in a sudden storm on the way down from the Trig station at bendeethra NSW. Scary to say the least.
AnswerID: 122633

Follow Up By: flappa - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:24

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:24
I cant see how not having ABS in muddy conditions would matter ?

Folks say that on dirt , not having ABS helps because when the brakes lock , and build up of dirt helps stop/slow down the vehicle.

That wont happen in mud.

My experience in muddy conditions in both my ABS equiped Patrol , and my Non ABS Pajero is almost identical , no control anyway.

At least in the Patrol you can just jam you foot on the brake with no difference to the consequences.
FollowupID: 377867

Follow Up By: goldfinder - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 18:24

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 18:24
ABS on the Bitumen is definately an asset. I don't think anyone would argue that fact. I have like most people here driven 4WD's for a number of years and stand by the fact that I fully believe in this instance the vehicle would have had the ability to stop sooner if there was no ABS.
FollowupID: 377933

Sponsored Links