Scammers still active

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 14:12
ThreadID: 25067 Views:2397 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Have my HJ60 for sale in the Trader. First enquiry comes from what I think is a fictitious name. So I reply that this person must provide name address and phone number first. The reply comes back stating London England. So in my way of doing things I reply to person that I am well aware of thje scam and would person please bugger off. Get email back this morning with these words...."r u sure?" Go figure.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 16:03

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 16:03
coz there is a shotrage of 4bys in Blighty??
AnswerID: 122143

Reply By: Scubaroo - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 16:37

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 16:37
I run a website selling dive gear - here's the last response I sent to a scammer asking what products I sold, whether I accepted credit cards, whether I shipped using USPS (i.e. the US post office!), and whether I shipped to West Africa:

-----------------------
Hello,

You can view the items for sale on my website.

For international credit card orders I would need the credit card number, expiry date, name on card and 3-digit code from the back prior to ordering to allow me to verify with the bank that the card is not stolen. Stolen cards are reported to Interpol. I am sorry for this policy, but there are too many deadbleeps from Nigeria who think westerners are dumber than them.

Best regards.
-----------------------

Anyone that's so dumb that they can't tell from the front page of my website that a) I sell dive gear, b) I'm in Australia and not the US, and c) I accept credit cards (the MC/Visa logos are a bit of a giveaway) - well, I don't want them for customers because they're too stupid to dive :-)

Funnily enough I never heard back.
AnswerID: 122147

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 17:12

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 17:12
www.scambaiters.com (I think) these guys have waaaaaaay to much time on their hands but for a rainy day or if the 4bys busted makes reasnably good reading. Most disturbingly why do you think these (and other scams exist???) I suspect coz sometimes they actually work!!!!
FollowupID: 377318

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 17:20

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 17:20
Hey just had a look actually doesnt look too bad (amazing what a fuzzy pic will do) but honestly I tried selling a vehicle from the bush and it was a soul destroying exercise with to many internet tyre kickers and other genuine idiots who must have had little else to do than waste my time. Ended up selling my camper to the first genuine buyer for 6k and only after I showed him 10k of reciepts and even then he still asked for enough fuel to get him back to perth (this DIDNT happen)
AnswerID: 122153

Reply By: motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 19:40

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 19:40
The first reply? So you got others? Then you did well - i advertised my roobar on the adverture trader and the scammers were the only response it got.

PS I hope yo told him where to go in stronger terms LOL
AnswerID: 122175

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:05

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:05
Off topic - excuse my ignorance but, in my never ending quest for knowledge,
what does "Go figure" mean?
Cheers
Greg
PS does the HJ come with EO stickers or do you have to go bush to find them:)
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 122181

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:09

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:09
I think it to do with walking away from a strange situation shaking ones head saying to ones self "think I need to go figure out just what happened here"

A figure of speech indicating some confusion or disbelief.

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 377346

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:04

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:04
Yes Greg I am at fault for using that term. It is a mainly Californian saying meaning why would you have to figure something out when it plain and simple. I hate Americanisms but still use them myself. Naughty boy :o)
FollowupID: 377380

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 23:53

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 23:53
Willem - dont think your at fault or naughty - I was just curious to its meaning ... I have to keep up with the times - I have two young boys!
Keep on Truckin'
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 377393

Sponsored Links