Freelander Head Gasket Failure

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:48
ThreadID: 25090 Views:2705 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Those affected by the Freelander Head Gasket problem should visit http://freelander.webhop.net/ and http://home.austarnet.com.au/edwardsonline/freelanderheadgasket

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 17:01

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 17:01
Interesting read - I knew Freelanders had a few problems, but never realised they were that bad!! Not confined to the 4-cyl, either.
Now that Geoff Polites is off to the UK to run Jag/Land Rover, he might drive home a few things about quality control & customer relations!!
Cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 122323

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 19:56

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 19:56
No doubt about it, he's a champ.
FollowupID: 377776

Reply By: netspyer5 - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 18:54
This K-series engine saga has plagued Land Rover for several years. Unfortunately they have chosen to ignore the torrent of complaints and hide behind their 2 year 50000km warranty. This policy comes with a hefty price tag in the form of lost goodwill and brand loyalty. The overall damage to the Land Rover name has been considerable. Thanks to internet forums like this, consumers can have an influence over purchasing trends. It seems the "Freelander" model has become such a liability for Land Rover they have decided to discontinue its production. Unfortunately those owners that have had the "engine failure" experience are unlikely the purchase another Land Rover.
AnswerID: 122349

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:19

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:19
I get the impression that this is the same engine as the current (defunct) MG-TF sports. I wonder if the buyers of those MGs would have bought them at the recent bankruptcy auctions if they knew the issues, esp with absolutely no warranty.
Gerry
FollowupID: 377534

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 23:39

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 23:39
Far from discontinuing the Freelander the new 07 model is already on the road and has been photographed - but I do agree with your views on the poor treatment of owners by Landrover. However to be fair - you only have to read the various threads on this forum to realise that most manufacturers are the same.

Gazzz
FollowupID: 377608

Reply By: netspyer5 - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:35

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:35
Hi Gerry,

Unfortunately it is buyer beware. I hope buyers at that auction did some research on the net.

Hmnn.... British made, and no warranty..... no thanks!
AnswerID: 122368

Reply By: netspyer5 - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:46

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:46
I am sure you are right. I am also sure that Land Rover's reaction to their product complaints is a normal response by any manufacturer not wanting to be responsible for hundreds of thousands of dollars in rectification ... pretty obvious! Given the volume of complaints, the mounting evidence and the huge repair costs involved, Land Rover's head gasket issue is an exceptional case requiring closer scrutiny by industry regulators. Regardless of other manufacturer’s business practices, my specific interest is the Freelander 1.8lt Petrol and this thread is titled "Freelander Head Gasket Failure". Incidentally are you a dealer?
AnswerID: 122480

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:07

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:07
No I am not a dealer and I own a Freelander and a Discovery. I know what Landrover is like and while I don't like how they deal with the public I know they are no different to any other manufacturer - but I agree that doesn't make their actions ethical. I know from my own dealings with Landrover that you any stand a chance of getting what you want if you can hold some power over them - the website you have shown us is a way of getting that power - I understand that some people in the UK have had some wins over Landrover and that engines etc were replaced - not by the dudds you have indicated but engines that had been modded. However there are still many cases where owners have had no luck.

In my own case my Disco was new when I got it and there were issues - I got what I wanted only by threats, intimidation and sucking up. I had recent dealings with Landrover and couldn't get past their call centre - as it was a safety issue I was only able to get past the call centre when I involved the Dept of Transport (DOTARS) and threatened to flame Landrover Aust lack of customer focus to the 4x4 magazines and media - it was at the time the Disco 3 was just released and I guess LR didn't want the bad publicity so an Exec from the Tech area actually rang me. The funny thing is my concern was unfounded and if LR had a customer focus in the first place - I would never have needed to go the heavy.

I bought my Freelander late last year - 175,000k diesel. It shortly after suffered the drive train failures caused by a poor design issue with the 98/99 models. New parts are $6000. I didn't hit LR for the repair but it is a design issue similar to the 1.8 petrol engines - the car was fixed with used late model parts for a fraction of the new cost - the problem doesn't exist with these.

So - no, I am no dealer and understand the issues you face but Landrover is no different to other manufacturers because it is Government regulations that allow them to get away with it. Recalls can only be forced on manufacturers if the issue is safety related - problems with the cars are our problem - afterall we buy knowing what the warranty is (I don't agree with my own statement but it is reality). In theory, Landrover puts in a new 1.8 and it comes with its new warranty - odds are it fails and LR should put in a new motor - starting the warranty period on the engine again and the cost should force LR to do something but - the owner is now wise - sells the car - new owner is none the wiser and the has the problem - LR says no to a repair and the fight starts over again. We need to lobby Governments to change consumer laws on cars - lemon laws would be a start - it is no use hassling the car makers because they will not do anything unless forced.

here endeth the lesson

Gazzz
FollowupID: 377667

Reply By: netspyer5 - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 19:41

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 19:41
Yeah... LR has got it all stitched up. I am sure all manufacturers and retailers realize the potential of the internet to distribute negative product feedback. LR sales figures may well be affected by information widely available on the net. Perhaps they are concerned about it, or perhaps this factor is built into the LR business plan. My LR story is finished, however I am concerned that a manufacturer such as LR can continue to sell faulty replacement engines at over $5000.00 to hundreds of Freelander victims and stay under the industry standards radar. Consumers need all the information they can get....I am happy to assist.
AnswerID: 122607

Sponsored Links