WAECO fridge freezers

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:57
ThreadID: 25095 Views:20630 Replies:13 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at purchasing either a CF-50 or CF-80 fridge from waeco. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these in an off road setting i.e. how they performed and held up to a bit of a beating.

I have had conflicting reviews about them compared to engel, but the waeco seems better value for money.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:10

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:10
They are a good fridge, not quite as robust as some others but they do appear to be able to handle some punishment.
AnswerID: 122281

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:12

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:12
and that's from an Engel owner.
FollowupID: 377461

Follow Up By: Robert Greene - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:09

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:09
I think you will find that the Waeco is a much better fridge pal.

I have worked in both companies as a picker and packer for 12 years and I have seen from an insiders perspective that the Waeco is better.

They use better parts and the Quality is there. It is easier to get around that factory to.

You just mihgt of got lucky.

If you are not a fridge mehcanic maybe you better not reprrmend anything.

imho.

Rob. G
FollowupID: 377498

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 18:05

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 18:05
ROTFLMAO

I'd better check the calendar, sounds like it's a full moon tonight
FollowupID: 377520

Follow Up By: Robert Greene - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 18:45
I don't know what you mean buy that?

what does r o t f k m a o mean?

The fill moon is a bit rude nut i guess i was trying to say to not be so confident with the fridge cause they dont come back as often as the Waeco.

Thw biggest one you can get if 110 litres and i think you can get even bigger in the future but definately smaller like your little one.

Rob. G.
FollowupID: 377526

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:39

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:39
Oh I get it, you're Bob Carr aren't you. I heard he had a bit more time on his hands.
FollowupID: 377541

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 14:07

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 14:07
Mike,

Ditto. We have an Engel and it is great. Our friends have an 80 Litre Waeco and it hasn't missed a beat and it has been to some rough places and has come through well. The only thing I could see with the 80 is that it has a pretty big footprint so it will take up a bit of real estate in your rig.

From what I have read waeco seem to be pretty spot on with warranty claims as well.

Have a good one.
AnswerID: 122289

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 19:27

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 19:27
Hi all !!

try asking the 1 guy that should know ...and thats the local fridgie that does warrenty work for all the differant brands thats what I did and he was very helpfull and HONEST!! ,Im sitting on the fence with this little discusion as Im not an ( expert ) but Yeah ask for peoples opinions and do the math and dont rush in because none of us have to pay for what you buy only you do so good luck .

P.S if your in SYD try Alternate gas refridgeration PTY LTD
20/14 holbeche rd Blacktown N.S.W.2148
PH: (02) 9672. 1664.

regards JB.

FollowupID: 377949

Follow Up By: Peter - Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 22:38

Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 22:38
Waeco 80 and 110 have same footprint as Engel 60, space seems to be better utilised with the 80 or 110
FollowupID: 378077

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 15:07

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 15:07
Mike

We have a 60l job. Same footprint as the 50l, just a tad taller. Suits us and has performed faultlessly to date. Used it as a deep freeze for 6 weeks last year to the Cape and back ... serious corrugations. Ended up returning some unused tucker to the house freezer on our return.

Waeco v Engel ... spare me all the usual rubbish. Both very good fridges. As I understand it Waeco have actually been around longer (in Europe).

Yes I agree the Waeco is significantly cheaper, which was one of the main factors in our decision, which we've not regretted. Personally I think the 80 is getting a bit large, but some ppls need the volume .. it's your choice.

Cheers
AnswerID: 122298

Reply By: KOR - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:16

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:16
We have an 80l Waeco which survived a trip to Cape York last year. Only thing that broke was the cigarette connector, and we are still waiting for a replacement for that part I might say - from the Waeco distributor in Yass
AnswerID: 122310

Reply By: G-wizz - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 17:28

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 17:28
I bought a demo CF-80 from The Fridge Shop a couple of years ago and it was as new. Never had a problem with it but it's probably a bit too big for 2 people.

http://www.fridgeshop.com.au/Default.asp?id=298&category=1
AnswerID: 122332

Follow Up By: Utemad - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:02

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:02
I've got the Waeco 80L and it works a treat. Not as Solid as the Engel 80L (which I have also used extensively) I'm sure but much better value and far more practical layout inside. The Waeco is also half the weight of the Engel (saving of about 25kg).

I use my 80L for just the two of us :-)
FollowupID: 377530

Reply By: Member - Wilgadene (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:57

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:57
Hi Mike,
Just got back from 7 weeks on the road through Qld & NT and our Waeco CF50 died 1 week ago.

Bought it in Feb this year, had to get the lid replaced before we could even use it as it was warped and wouldn't seal. A couple of other lids they sent were also faulty.

Took a few weeks to get the replacement lid. Then on the track started making noise, and at the 6 week mark it died.

After fiddling was able to get it started only as a freezer and only running full time which played merry hell on our batteries because of the power consumption.

Tried to get service and or repairs as we travelled but no one from Mt Isa to Cairns wanted to know about it.
Now back home and will be able to get it repaired under warranty but am not real confident about Waeco's now that we have been let down once.
AnswerID: 122393

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:45

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:45
Mike,
check out this web site for another comparison-> http://tinyurl.com/bzwhe
AnswerID: 122408

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:44

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:44
We use Engels for outback trips with work, but I own a Waeco CF50 and have for 3 years. Each have some shortfalls.

You need two different cables to run the fridge on different power supplies, where the Waeco only uses the one connection. This has caused some problems with our Engels, as the regulator, or what ever it is, for one or the other voltage may fail meaning you can only run it on the other power. But fuses are easy to access and replace.

The Engel controls are better. You don't need to keep pressing tyhe temp level button until it gets back to 1 bar, with the Engel just turn the knob.

Having said that you do need the step-down transformer to run the Waeco on 240 volt, but you only need one cable. So if the transformer fails you're stuck on 12 volt. We've used the cheaper transformer (EPS817A - $99), in the tropics, 40+ temps, etc and is still going strong, although the "experts" will suggest you need the other one not the Mobitronic (MPS50 - $139).

Waeco transit bags are a bit ordinary, the Engel bag being much better fit and stronger, with the lid doubling as a seat. You will need a transit bag for a Waeco to improve the insulation of the lid as it has none on the CF50, etc. Not sure about the 80.

The Waeco is cheaper.

Wizard
Prado TD
Gold Coast

AnswerID: 122479

Reply By: warthog - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 14:08

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 14:08
Have got the cf60 and had no probs. Purchased due to the small footprint relative to fridge volume, this means you have to pack carefully or you are forever pulling it apart to get to the stuff at the bottom. If you buy a two zone for an engel though it will no doubt do they same job. What is a minor annoyance though is carting a seperate transformer about to work off 240v. Waeco have now got models available that have the transformer built in.
AnswerID: 122545

Reply By: Jimbo - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 19:47

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 19:47
Mike,

I've owned both and they both keep stuff cold. I'd recommend either.

Waeco is clearly better value. Especially when you can get a CF 80 from the fridgeshop for $980. It's a lot of fridge for not too much money. Naturally it will draw more power than a smaller fridge.

I spend a lot of time with people who all own Waeco's (just by chance we all have them), and no-one has had a problem.

80 litres is not too big for 2 people, it allows you to take a good variety of stuff. 40 or 50 litres forces you to be selective.

Hope this helps,

Jim.
AnswerID: 122761

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike (WA) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 09:50

Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 09:50
We have Angels and Waeco's in our club and neither have caused any problems. The Engel is a bit heavier which was the reson I chose Waeco (as well as price) but its sits inside the car so doesn't get treated badly. Engel would make a seat for your whilst camping but its an expensive seat. the only thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Waeco are supporters of this site.
AnswerID: 122840

Reply By: Crazy Dog - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:21

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:21
G'day peoples,

I have CF110 and have since it first came out about 2 years now. Done heaps of rough stuff (North of Cairns etc cape areas) an yet it still keeps on keeping on. My wife and I take it everywhere we go but it does have one serious shortfall - it only holds 130 odd cans or stubs and a wine cask so there is no room for food or milk.

Seriously... a bloody good fridge at a good price. If travelling take your w'tee card with you and yes you can get service in Cairns at Transit cool near the airport.

As far as the tranny goes I built a bracket in the back of the truck to hold it so I have the best of both worlds if I have access to 240v or just the deep cycle on board.

Lance
AnswerID: 123669

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 22:01

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 22:01
Aaaahhh!! The fridge debate. Everybody's favorite.
To try to be helpful; I think you can assume all the top brands are pretty good. You'll hear some good stories and some bad stories. Just like any other product. But I think most of them will keep the beer cold OK.

If you will spend a fair bit of time in the outback or tropics, some (Waeco and Engel included???) may need an insulator bag. Factor this into your cost.

Depending on your vehicle and set up, some will need a slide. Factor this into your cost.

Depending on set up (will it be mounted on top of a drawer unit) it might end up too high if you (or SWMBO) is a short ar$e. Factor a solution to this into your equation.

If it is a top opening fridge (as most are) it is inconvenient to store stuff on top. This may reduce use of storage space. Factor this in.

Do you want a fridge AND freezer or a fridge OR freezer. Factor this in.

Now check the budget against fridges that meet your need. Chances are you will get the right one. Regardless of brand.

I did all this and ended up with a Reefer DTV 70 Ltr. Front opening fridge and freezer. Don't need an insulator bag or slide. Maximizes my storage space. My short ar$e wife doesn't need a step. Costs a bit more, but after adding slide and insulator bag to the others, no difference. BUT THAT WAS FOR MY NEEDS. Not yours.

I'm happy. Hope you will be too.
AnswerID: 123692

Sponsored Links