Snowy Mountains trip in Nov, advice pls

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:50
ThreadID: 25119 Views:1728 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I would like to do a trip down to the snowy mountains in Nov, hopefully after the tracks re-open on 27th October. I'm planning on spending a few weeks down there cruising around and camping.

I have some questions that I am hoping a few people who know the area can help with.
1) Is there going to be snow. Is it going to be a blizzard or just a few patches left unmelted, I suspect the second which would be nice.
2) After the melt are all the rivers and creeks banked up and you need a boat to get where you're going? Are all the tracks so muddy you need chains anyway?
3) What are the sights?
4) Do I need chains?

Thanks for helping with this initial trip planing.

I will most likely be travelling alone, in an early rangie - hence I am a competent mechanic ;)

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:54

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:54
1) Is there going to be snow. Is it going to be a blizzard or just a few patches left unmelted, I suspect the second which would be nice.
Dang, my crystal ball is down, will call helpdesk.

2) After the melt are all the rivers and creeks banked up and you need a boat to get where you're going? Depends on where you are going.

2a) Are all the tracks so muddy you need chains anyway?
You dont use chains when its muddy, you rip the snot out of the land.

3) What are the sights?
Which area are you heading? Anywhere specific?

4) Do I need chains?
depends if they extend the snow season. Doubt it though.
AnswerID: 122412

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 00:16

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 00:16
Suggest getting some very good area maps and detail a route you would like to travel.

What kind of vehicle you drive ? Are you experienced in 4x4 remote track driving ?

There's lot's easy dry dirt road that's slippery when wet or icy & fair amount bitumen, bush tracks need special care if the weather turns sour.

Truckster, Well noted fact: chains can be used well on greasy tracks & do less damage than screaming spinning wheels. Use them on the rear for assending & the front wheels when decending. I've done it, once passed two guys trying to winch 2 vehicles back onto a track cause they lost control going down. Secret is don't touch the brakes, even with chains on.

FollowupID: 377618

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 00:50

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 00:50
Yeah but unfortunately many who use chains combine the chains AND the wheelspinning techniques together :o((

Dave
FollowupID: 377623

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:55

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:55
hey cocka.
yea I didnt word it well, GEO hit on what I was gettin at..

Most think they still need to impale the foot thru the bullbar with chains on.

Nice photo in yer sig too...
FollowupID: 377657

Reply By: Well 55 - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:31

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:31
Often get late rains in November, (or call it early summer rains) so rivers can be up, tracks wet ( Davies Plains open in Nov).

A good place to start your trip is from Tom Groggin, and finish in Mansfield, to do a lot of the tracks will take a couple of weeks.

Chains in the high country are a must carry any time of the year, used correctly do far less damage to tracks.
AnswerID: 122468

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:09

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:09
Ah mate! You are gonna love that area..See my pix http://public.fotk.com/RockyOne/highcountry4x4victo/ We ha about 15 rigs with Portmans Offroad Adventures (Sadly,they no longer do the trips..Insurance problem..Liabality..Caused the say,by Judges giving away other people's money) in November..Sure we got snow on one nite,200mm,but loved it...Dome type tents collapsed..Center pole ones are fine...I carry one of those little "Space Blankets" that fits in a pocket..Like foil..Throw that over my summer sleeping bag..Warm instantly..That amount of snow has no effect on driving but makes great photos..Lucky you..I'm sad :-( RockyOne...Oh yeah..Make sure you buy local,hi-country diesel..I learnt the hard way..knock!knock!knock!!MPG:7!
AnswerID: 122470

Reply By: grutnip - Thursday, Aug 18, 2005 at 21:44

Thursday, Aug 18, 2005 at 21:44
Thanks to those who provided helpful answers. I usually do go 4wd'ing alone, but have never been to that area or been in snow. Looking forward to it.

Thanks

Dave
AnswerID: 125829

Sponsored Links