sand driving

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:25
ThreadID: 25126 Views:1786 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all . I have 89 hilux Am taking it for a run up to stockton beach for a run on the weekend. Have been there before with old vitara just dropped tyres down to 20psi off I went no probs as you knopw they are very light. I have bf's all terain on the lux 31s x 15 What do I need to drop these down to or should I put original wheels back on as the tyres on them are a lot skinnier have been told the skinnier the better ???? What's your thought. Thanks Vitara
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rene (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:04

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:04
Hi Vitara
We have a hilux within one of our companies, and we the son takes it to double Island point regularly, we normally run 15-18 lb depending on how dry or wet the sand is, as yet we have had no problems getting stuck, and as for the tires we are using same brand and size, just drop the pressure and pick the right gear, we also drag a six meter off-road van up with 100 series and no problem as long as the tire pressure is right, you should always take a couple of snatch straps and shackles,
Go and get into it
Rene'
AnswerID: 122509

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:53

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:53
31's are a fairly large size for the low wright of the lux so a lower pressure may be the way to go. We are normally pretty heavy with the surf and also run 31's, I run 16psi on sand and she goes well. We are now running GY MTR's, we were running the old desert duellers before that. Same pressures, never a drama.
AnswerID: 122518

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 14:16

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 14:16
It's not so much a matter of the skinnier the better - but of large diameter versus small and high profile versus low profile.

When tyre pressure is reduced, its footprint lengthens considerably. The larger the tyre diameterand the greater the height of the side-wall, the greater this effect.

Wide, low-profile tyres inhibit this footprint lengthening - as do wider rims.

For sand-going the best combination is usually the largest\ possible diameter tyre of the narrowest legally possible rim.

Tyres also bag out, but this occurs too high up the side wall to be of any great effect. There is only very minor widening of the actual footprint. By the time the tyre has sunk to the bagged out area, the vehicle is usually bogged.

In most (but not all) off-road going a standard 750 x 16 tyre will outperform a widie. If you disbelieve this check what competitors use in the Paris Dakar Rally -they are specially made 700 by 16s.

4WD magazines sometimes do comparison tests - and usually report much the above - often adding a note that they were surprised by the result!
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 122548

Follow Up By: vitara - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 14:31

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 14:31
So do you think it would be worth my while to put my old skinnys on for the day I think they are 16s I'm quit sure but very skinny Standard from toyota.As I said I have bfg all terrains but are 15s but alot wider than the standard tyres. I know the sunraysias on it at the moment are 7 inch wide 31 x 15. Just dont want to have to work the old girl any harder then I have to or increase the chance of burying myself in the sand if it's easier with the skinnys then I will change them over ??????
FollowupID: 377710

Reply By: 120scruiser - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 15:20

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 15:20
When you purchase your permit at Lavis Lane just ask the attendant how soft the sand is and what the locals have been running.
Last time we were there which was around April we were running 14psi as the sand was really soft. We never had any dramas with a variety of large vehicles. We started at 16psi as recommended and then went down to 14psi as the vehicles were working a bit hard.
Have fun.
AnswerID: 122556

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 15:21

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 15:21
Forgot to mention, let us know how soft it is and what pressure you go down to as I will be up there in a few weeks with the new prado for a test before we go over the desert in september.
Thanks
FollowupID: 377724

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Aug 01, 2005 at 22:44

Monday, Aug 01, 2005 at 22:44
Hi there120scruiser,went up to stockton on sunday only got back tonight 1/8/05 beach was great, dropped tyre pressure to 16psi had no problems. Sand was a bit soft down towards the water but went up over some of the sand dunes and no problems. Was working the old 2.8 a bit was in high range using first and second gear actually got into third once but didn't last long went back to second was reving at about 3grand in either 1st or 2nd. I think it actually went better then the old vitara, seemed to pull through the sand better. I thought the vitara would be better due to less weight unless it was just my imagination, amyway had a good time. Take Care Vitara PS just become a member I think it will come up with stephen m I,m not sure also should have a description of my rig havn't down loaded a pic yet. Could you let me know how it shows up,just a reply on this will do. Thankyou
FollowupID: 378321

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2005 at 08:39

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2005 at 08:39
Thanks for the reply.
It is good fun on the beach.
Your name does show up as Stephen M.

See Ya
120s
FollowupID: 378350

Reply By: Pattio - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 20:55

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 20:55
Hi Vitara. I am a a local. Was over there last Sunday. The sand was drying out after the rain from a few days before. It should be pretty dry after this weeks fine weather.I have 265/75 16 Pro Comp ATs on a 3lt GU. Have the deflaters set at 16psi. Goes anywhere the engine will pull wet or dry. Occasionaly go down to 12 or 14 if recovering others. Had BFG ATs on a Jackaroo previously, found they worked better 2-3psi lower than the original Wranglers. Either of your tyre sizes will be fine. Just fine tune your pressures as you go and have a lot of fun. Regards Chris
AnswerID: 122618

Reply By: vitara - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 07:20

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 07:20
Thankyou all for your responses, I will just keep on the bfg and drop the pressure to 16 psi see how we go if need be will drop another 2psi if really required. Thanks again Take Care Vitara
AnswerID: 122656

Follow Up By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:10

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:10
Seen the latest Kluger ad? Shows it plowing through sand and what looked like to me full tyre pressure. Maybe you should get one, no problems then! lol. :-)
FollowupID: 378368

Sponsored Links