Tyre-Sensor pressure / temp indicator in the cab

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:56
ThreadID: 25141 Views:2760 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
Wondering if anybody has fitted these as yet, are they any good do they work? Which is the prefered installation, strap-on or valve insert? (Doesn't sound to good I know).
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 18:14

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 18:14
I have the Smartire system. Just do a search using 'Smartire' in the body of the post and you will see all.
AnswerID: 122585

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 18:22

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 18:22
Bob,
I had a look at the Smart Tire system which was about a grand, the Tyre - Sensor system is about $580 delivered in Australia, half the price. I was looking for someone who has some practical experience after actually fitting them or it. An opinion from someone with these systems who can offer an opinion as to if they are any good or not, are they just a gimic that looks good but doesn't do anything?
Thanks for the response, I've been doing the investigation side of things now I'm looking for someone who's fitted them.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 377760

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:42

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:42
Martyn
I paid $150 US on eBay for mine.
I find being able to monitor tyre temperature and pressure very reassuring. It has also helped me to load the vehicle, inflate the tyres, and a select a speed that will help conserve tyres.
I haven't had a tyre deflation since I installed it - the reverse of Murphy's Law. But if I only save one tyre at $250 its paid for itself. Not to mention avoiding a blow out at speed. Or being stranded in the middle of nowhere with three operational wheels.
FollowupID: 377803

Reply By: Sarg - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:51

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:51
Got to ask the question. Why would anyone want to bother with this???????????
AnswerID: 122631

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:33

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:33
Sarg
Have you ever trashed a tyre? If not, then you probably won't understand.
FollowupID: 377802

Reply By: Sarg - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 23:09

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 23:09
Still gets back to having a good tyre maintenance program and driving according to conditions. That's why I've probably never trashed a tyre as you put it
AnswerID: 122645

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:17

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:17
A slow leak caused by a nail etc can lead to a tyre failure at speed, trashing the tyre. A tyre pressure monitoring system can help avoid this.

John
FollowupID: 377823

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 20:44

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 20:44
Sarg,
Reliability of machinery is a significant part of my job, we have found that on-line monitoring is a good way to ensure reliability of critical machinery hence the reason you have an oil pressure light / guage and an ammeter or ignition warning light and a fuel guage, you monitor critical parameters, to me the tyres and their condition are critical to a safe and successful trip, especially if you are towing something.
You can minimise the the probability of failure by buyng the best equipment available, hence the reason that so many people get value from this forum, discussing critical items such as tyres. Which is the best, why and how much does it cost.
I see your point, and yes it's valid, a good tyre maintenance programme is a good way to MINIMISE failure but the tyre for instance may be fine at the time you carry out your inspection but when you are out in the bush you can't carry out your maintenance programme maybe as conveniently as when you are in the city so the probability of failure rises significantly.
Sarg, this is my point of view and my opinions, I wasn't asking what the point of fitting these gadgets I was asking for people who had fitted them and their experiences, that was all. Sorry if my post doesn't fit with what your perception of what this forum is for.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 377967

Sponsored Links