2000 nissan patrol 2.8 blowing a little smoke

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 20:48
ThreadID: 25149 Views:8791 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I just brought a 2000 model nissan patrol 2.8ltr diesel and it is blowing a bit of smoke so I have been told, someone has told me to put some injector cleaner in it, will this help fix it up?

Do the injectors need cleaned? if so how much would this cost aswell?

Also the car is fitted with a sub tank, when the main fuel tank got down to about quater of a tank the sub started draining. Is this normal?

How many KM's should I be able to get out of a tank? The salesman told me about 12-1300km's.

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:02

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:02
WRX, Diesel’s will blow a BIT of black smoke (How much are we talking about, and how often (as there can be a few different possibilities) I.E Just under acceleration, when you drive it hard, or all the time.

My understanding is that the Nissan’s will automatically drain the sub tank into the main on start-up/ when the main gets a bit low so yes it is normal as far as I know.

The injector cleaner may help the smoke issue if they are dirty, but it will not hurt to give them a dose of the stuff anyway (Diesel injector cleaner Not petrol ejector cleaner).

How big are the Tank’s? It will depend on how you drive it but I would be expecting something around those figures on a country run.
AnswerID: 122619

Reply By: blackwrx - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:14

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:14
The missus seen the smoke blowing as I was driving it down the road, she seems to think it was blowing a bit and I was driving under medium acceleration.

The main tank holds 90ltrs and the sub about 30ltrs.

AnswerID: 122621

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:25

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:25
Hi
I have GQ 2.8TD. Yes they do blow a little smoke, especially when cold. Mone has done 131k and has not had any injector treatment, and all is well. Have averaged around 12L/100kms over all sorts of driving from city,touring, off road, CSR and hard 4WD. never seems to change.
A very important deal is make sure you change oil and filter every 5000kms and you should get a good run out of the car.
Cheers
AnswerID: 122624

Reply By: Exploder - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:34

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:34
Good chance it is just normal, without seeing it is hard to gauge but a bit of black smoke (Not streaming out as you go down the road) when changing gears, when under load or making it work is mostly normal

It is possible that the fuel pump may need adjusting or dirty injector’s or dirty diesel the list goes on I would say it is fine, if concerned about it mention it when it gets serviced. For now just put some injector cleaner in and see how it goes.

That is 120LTRs total; around town I would not be expecting 1200 out of a tank, but cruising on the open road it is plausible. I don’t have one somebody with a similar truck may be more helpful.
AnswerID: 122626

Reply By: blackwrx - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:49

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:49
Thanks

I will run it down as low as I can then and see how many KM's I manage to get from a tank, I just drove it back from perth to Kal and have clocked up about 800kms and the sub has just started to drain as the tank got down to about quater of a tank.

AnswerID: 122630

Follow Up By: warthog - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:23

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:23
GU's only have one fuel pickup that is located in the main fuel tank. They are not like Toyotas in that when you switch the sub tank on in a Toyota you draw fuel from the sub tank. When you press the sub switch on the dash in a GU it activates a fuel pump that transfers the fuel from the sub tank to the main tank. Once the fuel level drops in the main tank the transfer pump is activated for a few seconds on start up and if you are doing alot of small trips and starting the vehicle numerous times it can appear that the fuel is being drawn from the sub tank as it's level drops.
FollowupID: 377799

Reply By: hl - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:09

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:09
Hi,

I used to have one of those and it always blew a little smoke, especially when starting off. Also when I really floored it (actually quite a lot then!).
I would say it is normal. Some of them don't blow any, but they are the ones that gave the 2.8 a bad name (they don't go very well!).

As for the fuel consumption, there is no way you will get 1200k or more out of a tank. Count on 850 before you get nervous looking at the gauge.
Mine used anywhere between 12 and 16l per 100k. around town and normal highway use about 13, towing and running into a bit of a headwind, it can go up to 15-16.

The subtank will gradually empty once the main is down to less than about 3/4.
Every time you start the engine, the fuel transfer pump activates for about 5-10 seconds. This is to prevent fuel getting left in the sub for long periods.

Cheers
AnswerID: 122667

Follow Up By: rolande- Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 11:51

Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 11:51
G'Day hl,

My thoughts exactly

Regards

Rolande
FollowupID: 378107

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:36

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:36
The way I see it is you really should toss a bottle of Wynns Injection Cleaner in your diesel,as everyone should do every now and then (Remember,we don't get the quality of diesel they get in Europe,which is why we don't get some of the models with more advanced fuel systems)..Now,onto the smoke issue..I run a 18R 20 year old motor in my Diahatsu (was a Jap s/hand motor when I got it & run a 15yr old R-2 s/hand Jap diesel in my Rocsta) Both motors are run with Wynns Stop Smoke additive and the frictional qualities are so good,I had to screw back the idle after a bit of running..No smoke after years of running on the petrol or the diesel..You gain in the lowering of friction (read wear) even without the "stop smoke" feature..Like "vitamins" for motors.No black magic involved..!MPG:8!
AnswerID: 122693

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 21:02

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 21:02
Hi RockyOne,

Diesel fuel quality in Oz is now very good, so good in fact that the European models you speak of (those with common rail DI and flash aftertreatments systems) are becoming increasingly available.

The range of modern diesel vehicles is increasing at a rapid rate. You'll likely see local product with these engine options in the very near future.

Hugh
FollowupID: 377971

Reply By: explorer59 - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 13:14

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 13:14
I have a 98 Gu with nearly 400,000kms on the clock. It blows a little black smoke when starting and cold and sometimes under a bit of load. I think it is probably normal.

I replaced the injectors and fuel pump around 275,000kms

I have never got more than 800km out of both tanks, and I am not a speed freak. I usually sit on 110km/hr though, with it loaded up. But I know if I travel at around 90km/hr the fuel economy does get better.

And I think it is important to change the oil and all the filters at 5000km religiously. But then I use mine in off road conditions very often (every weekend nearly).
AnswerID: 122710

Reply By: Peter Guy - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 14:14

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 14:14
Hi
my 2.8 Gu Patrol has done 230,000ks and it has always blown a little smoke from new when starting up and when taking off from the lights after idling for a while. This is normal for the older diesals. I have never touched the injectors and she runs like a swiss clock! The economy is good and you should get 800 ks from the main tank and 200ks from the sub before the low fuel light comes on. When it does there is usually 20 litres left in the main tank!
The sub tank always pumps fuel into the main tank when less than full every time you start up to keep every thing lubricated.
AnswerID: 122717

Reply By: prado_95 - Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 18:41

Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 18:41
Most diesels blow a little black smoke under hard accelertion. Non turbo's tend to blow a bit more.

There are two reasons for this;
1. diesel engines dont usually burn as much of the fuel as a petrol engine, so a little black smoke is ther always
2. this black smoke is actually particles, and they tend to collect in the muffler, UNTIL you give it a boot full - result in abnormal smoke for a short time.

The first is normal - some engines worse than others.
The second is easy to fix, use more rightfoot from time to time to blow the particles out of the muffler. Increasing the performance via a module or chip such as the E ENG-TEK diesel tuning module should not change these charateristics substancially.

Of the late model turbo engines, Mitsubishi & Toyota's tend to have lowest 'smoke' under normal use. Jackeroo's tend to be to be at the other end of the range.

Use some diesel fuel conditioner/cleaner. At that distance the injectors should not need attention, unless there has been water in the fuel, or the fuel filter has allowed dirt through.
AnswerID: 124107

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)