fishing wa

Submitted: Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2515 Views:1430 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering what the fishing is like in WA if you don'y have a boat and any suggestions s to what sort of gear to take to fish the jetties or beach etc.

thanks Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cam - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00
Peter,
Save your time & energy. The fishing in WA is lousy. I wouldnt even bother going anywhere near the water with a rod. Just leave these sort of things to the locals who struggle day after day trying to catch a fish. See you where the big ones are ;-)
AnswerID: 9215

Follow Up By: Jono - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

peter,

ignor this nob, he clearly doesn't know which way is up. You asked a simple question and got an idiots response. perhaps he is just trying to start a flame.

Like anywhere in the world, you need to know which places to go and what sort of gear to use. I have not had much experience with fishing in the far north but down south the fishing is great. I have a house in Dunsborough (just south of Busselton) and anywhere down that way is great and you shouldn't have any trouble with a simple flick rod (as already suggested) and the sort of rig that you may use for whiting.

There is no doubt that a small dinghy is far better but in dunsborough you can happily sit on the rocks or wade out a little or even sit on the beach and catch a great meal.

Cheers and happy fishing,
jono.
FollowupID: 4622

Follow Up By: Cam - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

Jonno - lighten up old son. Nothing wrong with having a friendly dig. Peter as Jonno said flick rods are good fun off of jetties etc & the surf rod up north will also provide a bit more scope at places like Eighty Mile Beach & Cable Beach as well. Dont get to complicted with the rigs either.
FollowupID: 4623

Reply By: Lux - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

G'day Pete , depending where you go fishin in the west mate, but a general set up with a flick rod and a surf rod will see you right anywhere around the coast and the rivers,,if you can let us know where you intend going I might be able suggest rigs and bait setups and what you might catch...I think Cams pulling ya leg.....Lux
AnswerID: 9221

Reply By: Member - James - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

Pete, I have been to WA several times and going there again next year. Compared to the Eastern states the land based fishing in WA is magic. Blue swimmer crabs for the taking around Busselton, big Tailor up around Geraldton and Carnarvon and big threadfin salmon around Port Hedland, 80 mile beach and under certain conditions Broome. At Port Smith between Port Hedland and Broome, almost any variety can be caught. The jetty at Broome, particularly near high tide, and particularly if that occurs after dark can also provide some excitements and breakoffs.

I would recommend a light beach rod, about 10', 15lb line, ganged 3.0 or single 3/0 hooks and pilchards (mulies) either whole on the ganged hooks or in pieces on single hooks. Find out what the locals are using in the way or rigs and bait. If the tailor and salmon are really on, you can get by using shiny lures. If I recall there is a bag limit of 5 for tailor, not sure of the limt for salmon.

Buy a small collapsible smoker, smoked tailor and/or salmon, either hot or cold is a joy to be experienced.

Some of the larger towns have charter boats and if you want some larger varieties like spanish mackeral, giant trevally and heaps of others, one or two trips on these boats could be most rewarding and certainly cheaper than buying your own boat.
AnswerID: 9247

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00
James,

Thanks for the info you have made it a little easier to sort out what to take. The bag limits are not an issue as I just want enough for dinner.

Peter
FollowupID: 4651

Reply By: Moneypit - Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00
Peter,

A good starting point is www.fishingwa.com

Lots of great fishing and a dinghy is a big help but they are there to be caught all up and down the coast.

I'm up in the NW of WA and here mainly because of the fishing but most of what I do is boat based.

Problem with going off the beach is finding water for long enough given the 8 metre tidal differences.

Just remember that what you call pilchards we call mulies. Its a polony/devon, bathers/swimmers thing.

Dave
AnswerID: 10026

Sponsored Links