more on GU patrol transmission niose

Submitted: Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 20:08
ThreadID: 25167 Views:2025 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks for the feedback to my last post regarding the noisy transmission in my 4.2 turbo diesel patrol, but should I be worried as the noise I am referring to is not as you have described. My noise is almost definately coming from the transfer box and could be described as a fairly loud rumble/chatter. It occurs in 1st and reverse when I back off and the revs drop to about 1200 - 1000 as would be the case when going around a car park or driving down the driveway etc. I bought the vehicle new only a few months ago. Any further feedback would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: warthog - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 21:13

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 21:13
I think its impossible or at least unreliable to try and diagnose a noise over the internet even if you could upload a sound file. Maybe you can post roughly where you live and ask the forum if they know a good mechanic nearby. In the meantime drop the oils in your running gear and check out what comes out, put fresh oils in and see how you go. As I've already said I'm no mechanic but if you buy a second hand vehicle I reckon its good practice to change all the fluids as you don't know whats in there and how long its been in.
AnswerID: 122784

Follow Up By: warthog - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 21:18

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 21:18
Check the levels before you drop it, comes out quicker with the filler plug out also.
FollowupID: 377977

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 21:32

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 21:32
Weldman,
As mentioned by Warthog, very difficult to diagnose over the net. If I understand you correctly you have bought the vehicle new, I'm assuming new is new and not new to you, if that's the case take it back to where you bought it from and report back to the forum what they find. If it's a concern to you it's obviously not right there is something amiss.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 122791

Reply By: warthog - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 22:00

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 22:00
Sorry I obviously didn't read your post properly as there is no point changing fluids in a brand new vehicle. Truckster's advice to you in your first post makes sense.
AnswerID: 122796

Reply By: MichaelN - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2005 at 11:50

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2005 at 11:50
My 2002 4.2TD Patrol ute that makes the same noises .. but from about 800-1100rpm. I paid for an inspection at RACQ who said the noise was normal for that transmission. I then paid for another inspection a couple of months later at Motsons 4x4 who also said it was normal too. I've mentioned it to Nissan on 3 seperate services and each time they came back saying it was normal ( or in their language .. no fault found ). They said the noise was "gear box rollover" and was'nt an issue at all. Im still a bit sus but if 3 seperate outfits say its normal, thats good enough for me.

Still .. i had no hesitation paying for an extended warranty when it came time .. just in case !
AnswerID: 123313

Follow Up By: weldman - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2005 at 21:28

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2005 at 21:28
MichaelN...Looks like we have the only nissans with this "gearbox rollover noise". My dealer tells me there is nothing to worry about as well, but its reassuring to know I'm not alone. The noise is more of an annoyance than anything. I suggested to the dealer that maybe I could put 75w-90 in the transfer box to at least muffle to noise, but they say I should stick to the ATF even though the owners manual reckons that the heavier oil can be substituted. Have you by any chance thought of doing this?
FollowupID: 378478

Follow Up By: MichaelN - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:10

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:10
I did consider seeing if there was any way to muffle the noise but i was leaning more towards a 3" exhaust :) To tell you the truth, im pretty much used to it now. I spose it does bother me on occasion when travelling slowly up a rough track in 1st. That 800-1100 rev range seems to cover 5-15kph so its nearly always there in that situation.

Have Nissan noted in writing on your service slips that there was no problems ? I insisted on my description of the problem and their response added to the slip for each off 3 services I mentioned it. If something in the transfer case goes ill be giving them heaps bout it ! They've been good on my 2 other warranty issues though so ill give them the benefit of the doubt. Id definatley buy another Patrol too .. without a doubt. The noise is a small price to pay for its capability and toughness ! Awesome trucks !
FollowupID: 378530

Reply By: Ferret - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 18:01

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 18:01
You boys have got yourselves a big heavy gearbox designed for light trucks. The're strong as buggery but a little agricultural and do make a bit of a rumble on occasion. Mine does it in neutral, but has done 309,000k's......
AnswerID: 123632

Follow Up By: weldman - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:56

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:56
Thanks Ferret, but after hopping out of a defender after 12 years I was hoping for a little more refinement.
Further to MichaelN"s post, I must show my ignorance here and ask how would a 3" system be able to reduce the transfer box noise. If possible MichaelN could you let me know what you have told causes this noise, then I might be able to understand a bit more, thanks.
FollowupID: 378679

Follow Up By: MichaelN - Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 11:24

Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 11:24
It wouldnt reduce the noise .. just drown it out hopefully !

Nissan actually said its "gear rollover" .. not gear box rollover. A bit of a dig around on the net suggests its pretty common in a lot of large transmissions. Check out:

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=2293601

http://ctd-resource.com/showthread/t-59519.html

If you do try the heavier gearbox fluid, please let me know the results !

Michael.
FollowupID: 378758

Sponsored Links