kelly tyres

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2526 Views:5464 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I currently have kelly safari awr's on my rodeo. How do they stack up against BFG & Coopers which seem to be popular brands,with off road performance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rodeoowner - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Richard. I used to have those tyres on my old Courier. They are more road oriented (even though they are al All Terrain) than the other two tyres that you have mentioned, hence off road performance won't be as good. They are a lot cheaper though. Wear rates are meant to be real good, but I didn't find mine great at all. You will find that they are lot cheaper than the other two as well, even thought they are all US made. After 40K they looked fairly average. Kelly actually had 2 different patterns called the Safari AWR. The US made which is the common one, but their was also an Aus. made AWR which had like a diamond patterned tread. The Aus made only came in 31x10.5x15 and I think it is now discontinued. Kelly have a more aggresive pattern called the DTR(?) which is more off road oriented, but this may be too chunky for you. Cheers. What size do you have?
AnswerID: 9290

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00

G'day and thanks rodeoowner. Tyre size 30-9.5-15. Whilst I do a lot of highway k's thats not what I got the rodeo for. What type of tyre do you use now.
FollowupID: 4657

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00

Richard, what type of country do you predominantly drive in?

In the rocky/gravel country I predominantly drive in, those Kelly's would be ideal.
On my current new vehicle it has some dual purpose Bridgstone on, but again, in the rocky/gravel country I am in, it is ideal for the job.
FollowupID: 4659

Follow Up By: Rodeoowner - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00
Richard I now have Bridestone Dueler AT 693's. If your tyres are still good treadwise I would keep them until they are knackered. The BS I have are probably slightly more chunky than the AWR and I would guess a tad more expensive. BFG and Coopers for 31" were $240 each and the BS were $169 when I was looking. I am happy with mine so far but will see how long they last. Most of my driving is on road so they suit me well. My previous tyres were BS Dueler AT 691 and they lasted 55K and would have gone a further 5K. My Rodeo is my work ute and is always fully laden so I thought that was pretty good. Cheers.
FollowupID: 4676

Reply By: Member - Chris - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00
I've had the same LT23585R16's on my troopy for 2 years now, one pair are AWR, the othera more chunky 70/30 off road mix that I can't get again. My experience with them is that they last extremely well nad I haven't had any probelems with grip on or off road. The LT version appears extremely resistant to side wall punctures, had no punctures on the Gibb, Kimberly, or heat stress throughout the NT/SA/NSW/ACT road travel. I've not used the BFGs or Coopers, but Kellys are cheapoer, and for my money, good value.
AnswerID: 9302

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Chris. My beginners trip through the Flinders and associated tracks,I doubt would hardly be more stressful than the Gibb or Kimberly,so I"ll stick with the Kellys. Price does not all ways=quality.
FollowupID: 4770

Sponsored Links