Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2528 Views:11443 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I recently bought a Hilux dual cab with Monroe Gas Magnums fitted. Are these anygood for 4wd purposes? Has anyone had an experiences with these shocks they can share?

Cheers,
Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goodsy - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00
I also own a hilux dual cab with Monroe Gas magnums fitted. Not a problem with the shocks so far (done about 80,000Km's). Pretty sure monroe made (don't know if they still do) the old man emu shocks as well so they carn't be that bad.
AnswerID: 9293

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00
I had them fitted to my previous vehicle and would happily buy them again. Many of the more expensive shock absorbers are just that, more expensive, not necessarily better. '4WD' is a bigger rip-off than 'marine' today.
AnswerID: 9295

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Chris, have I had experience with Gas Magnums! I purchased a set at a "good" price for my 100 series RV. Installed them in 20 mins, drove to the back gate (about 30 metres), reversed back to where I was and put the old ones back on! They were dreadful! With out a word of a lie, in 30 metres I suffered motion sickness! I returned to my supplier (Repco), told my sad story and they were marvelous. They gave me a 1800 number for Monroe Tech Support in S.A. The Tech support told me they were aware of the problem with the 100 series and shipped over another "extended" set that had different (stiffer) valving. Huge improvement! I went off on my expedidation through central Australia (about 7,500km) and when I returned the rear shocks were knackered! They had been battered by flying stones off the front wheels and severely dented around the bottom (the original shocks had a steel plate welded around the front for protection). These Gas Magnums also fit the 80 series and I'm told it's not a problem with those because the shocks are mounted behind the axle. Anyway, the damaged shocks (pair) were happily replaced by Repco under warranty. Since then I have done another 10,000 or so K's without a drama. Would I use them again? Probably not, but that is my personnal preference, would I buy from Repco again? Definately! The problem I encountered with the 100 series is simple to explain. Toyota use very soft springing in the 100 series with very high pressure Tokico shocks to control thr ride. The original Gas Magnums were low pressure and thus the horrible body roll. I replaced the original springs at the same time as I replaced the rear shocks and the result is very pleasing. Hope this helps, Cheers!
AnswerID: 9300

Reply By: DesF - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00
Hi, Chris I bought a Pajero NF 1989 ( V6 Coil Springs) with Kings Springs & Monroe Gas on the back & I was suprised how good they were, so I contacted the previous owner for history , H e said they had been on for 50.000 odd ks & had towed a van around Aust twice. I tow a Jayco Eagle also we went to Finke this year 2 people and all the gear and apart from being 25 - 30 mm lower the shocks worked realy good ( I have just fitted Polyairs ) & last week did a trip with the van Magic. They havn't had any stone damage that I can see. Regard demon.
AnswerID: 9357

Reply By: Chris- Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks all for your helpful advice as always!
CHeers,
Chris.
AnswerID: 9385

Reply By: Brett - Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Chris,
I had a problem with them fading after a couple of hours on corrigations on my forerunner to the point where it was like have no shockies at all. The same thing happened to 4 replacement pairs before I gave up and swapped to OME and haven't a problem since.
Cheers
Brett
AnswerID: 9386

Sponsored Links