100 Series T/D HF radio interference

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2529 Views:3700 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
i have recently installed a HF radio in my 100 Series Turbo Diesel Landcruiser (Barrett 950 with auto tune aerial) and find that the 100 Series TD fuel injector creates an apparently insolvable level of interference with the HF radio,which makes the radio totally impossible to to use whilst the engine is operating.
Whilst I know interference is a common problem, this extreme level is apparently unique to the 100 T/D and the installers advise that it is experienced regardless of the model of HF radio.
Apparently European standards preclude such radio emissions from injectors etc but we do not enjoy such protection in Australia, and with this particular model Toyota they have not seen the need to comply with superfluous foreign standards with their Australian product.( ??)
Earthing the bonnet with braid, and the exhaust, and and aluminium shield over the injectorall I am told will not work.
Does anyone have the same problem, or better still a solution ? ( other than trading in on a Nissan or not driving out of mobile phone range).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PETER - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00
have you contacted barratt they are very good. i have a did pajero and my radio works fine. trust that you have power direct from the battery and negative to the earth strap end of the motor. regards peter
AnswerID: 9299

Follow Up By: Phil - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Peter, Thanks for the response. hadn't contacted Barrett until you suggested so. They were very helpful and are aware of the issue with this vehicle. They have an ongoing R&D effort to find a solution, not there yet, and no guarantee that one will emerge, but suggested I keep in contact and they will let me know. Great sevice from Barrett, thanks again fot the advice. Regards Phil
FollowupID: 4682

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Someone was mentioning this on one list with a Jackaroo.

He even made up a bracket to mount it on the spare wheel on the rear to get it as car away from interference as possible..

I think he had been chasing the problem for a while too, but that was his best answer...

HTH
AnswerID: 9304

Reply By: Member - Geoff - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Phil
I posted a similar question yesterday, my radio is a codan, my vehicle a current Jackaroo, I have my ariel on a bracket on the tow-bar but no joy.I still have interference.I trust if we look hard enough someone will come up with an answer.
Good luck
AnswerID: 9308

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

I know two people who have the same problem since upgrading from 80 series. Toyota is not at all interesting in helping. Only solution so far: Stop the engine to use the HF.
AnswerID: 9320

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Forgot to mention, they both have Codan 9323's. Someone suggested an upgrade to the NGT may help - but a bit expensive for a maybe.
FollowupID: 4677

Reply By: ken d - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Hi all

Has anyone actually confirmed that it is radio frequency emissions that are causing the problem and not noise on the power feed to the radio?
Or a combination of both?

If you park next to another HF radio operator with your engine running do they hear the noise on their sets?
If so how far away do they have to go before the noise can no longer be heard?
Do you have noisey or poor reception on your normal AM radio reciever?
Can you hear it on 27Mhz CB radio or any other reciever?

If we can locate exactly where the noise is coming from and how it's getting into the radio we are a long way to fixing the problem.,

Further to this if it is radio frequency emmisions are causing a problem it may be a case for the Australian Communication Authority however it's a bit early to tell.

Cheers
Ken

AnswerID: 9324

Reply By: ken d - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Sorry
A couple more questions,
Does the noise change frequency/ pitch or level with RPM or with engine load?
Is is predominant on any any particular channel/ frequency on your radio?

Ken
AnswerID: 9325

Reply By: Bob Y. - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00
Phil, we haven't put an HF in a 1HZ type engined vehicle, but the old 2H engines had an oil sender which made HF almost inoperable, except for the strongest signals. An ordinary suppressor condensor used to fix that one. This sounds different, as there's been some other mention of it. If Barrett and Codan know nothing it could be a tricky one. Any chance of doing an elimination process, disconnecting different "bizzos" until you find the culprit? Would have to watch power to the electronics, in case they got upset. The ZD30 nissan might have the same problem too?
Regards....
AnswerID: 9348

Reply By: ken d - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Hi all.

I've had a bit of a poke around.
If you have a look here - http://www.denso.com.au/dw/fuel/fuel_prod.htm
I think you'll find a picture of the ECD-V4 pump which I believe is what the 100 series TDs are using.
You can see things like the pulser and engine speed sensor. They work together and are most probably electromagnetic.

This is just one possible source of the radio interference but again we have to do some elemination and find how the problem is getting to the radio..

It won't be impossible to overcome.
Barret and Codan might not have a solution, however without intending any ill will, ( they are probably both quality companies) their priorities may lie with other issues and haven't got around to making an indepth investigation into this particular compatability problem. I may be wrong.

Ken

AnswerID: 9360

Reply By: Darian - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Re the above (and G'day Nigel).... yes...re my Jack....the timing of the interference runs up and down with the motor....the interference stops when you throttle off (injectors stop)....the HF CB is badly affected...the car radio and long Range HF are badly affected...the UHF not so. Radio guru I know predicted the above would be the case......I have some comment in an earlier post on the Jack....I can live with it, but it has cost me a lot of tinkering time......Darian
AnswerID: 9361

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Call the guys at Telstat in Vic.

They do all the comms for the Outback Challange and more.
They would have an idea, or if not Peter would be MORE than happy to work on it..

AnswerID: 9363

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Call the guys at Telstat in Vic.

They do all the comms for the Outback Challange and more.
They would have an idea, or if not Peter would be MORE than happy to work on it..

AnswerID: 9364

Sponsored Links