Cooper Tires ..... why all the agro?

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:40
ThreadID: 25309 Views:13860 Replies:19 FollowUps:39
This Thread has been Archived
Why is it with Cooper tyres that if you have a problem you are almost treated with contempt, I know several people including myself, who have complained to their respective tyre services about excessive wear rates, compound chipping, edge lug cracking etc etc & the tyre service immediately goes into agro mode, accusing consumers of incorrect pressures, alignment problems, misuse etc. Why don't they treat us with the respect that we deserve after having spent around $1500.00 & politely try to get to the root of the problem?
I am convinced beyond doubt that there is, or was a known problem & that there has been a cover up.
I know that the "squeaky wheel gets the oil", but why should we have to fight tooth & nail to get them honour their so called warranty. If they are such a great off road tyre, why doesn't the warranty apply in Darwin, Adelaide or Perth? Are they too close to the areas that are known to cause extreme chipping in their tyres? Why is the warranty applicable only in metropolitan areas? Maybe because the residents of these areas are less likely to go bush per capita!
In regard to my claim on their "warranty", I was promised the world, but when the chips were down & I tried to take advantage of the offer made to me by their own representative, the goal posts were moved & I received a mere fraction of the promised settlement.
Even other Cooper tyre owners seem to rush to their defence, is this because they want to justify their own tyre choice?
My suggestion to them, is to keep a close eye on wear rates & be very careful if you dare to venture really off road with them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:43

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:43
Thanks for the feedback Shaker.......... good use of the forum.
AnswerID: 123517

Reply By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:17

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:17
I killed a set of Coopers in the Pilbara within 25,000km's. Went back to the dealer and had them replaced on the spot, no worries at all so I trust the warranty. Others may have had a different experience and so be it. Another bloke I did some driving with in the same area had new BFG AT's and he had whole lugs falling off, so I chose to stay with Coopers.

I'm on my third set of Coopers now and I'm using the new ATR's which suit where I drive.

Make your own mind up as to what suits your area as this is the crucial factor in tyre choice. Mud driving is different to rocks, different to sand and different to true 'off road'. I made my choice, paid my money and I'm happy with them.
AnswerID: 123525

Reply By: Scubaroo - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:35

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:35
I wonder how much of an issue "curing" is with Cooper tyres. There was a 4WD Monthly writeup a few months back where several vehicles used new STTs for a Vic Alpine trek, and there were grossly different wear rates on the different vehicles even though they were literally following in each others tracks over the same distance, all new tyres fitted at the beginning of the trip. It was pointed out that the tyres that had the most excessive wear were "fresh from the factory", a newly imported size, whereas the tyres that had good wear rates were a size that had been distributed for a little longer, and may have been somewhat older stock that had been sitting around in a warehouse for a while.

Not sure if curing is still an issue with tyres, but on another forum someone pointed out that tyres in Germany have to be held for two years after manufacture before sale to the public in order to allow them to sure! If Coopers are selling tyres hot from the mold in relative comparison, there may be an issue right there.

Buy a set, chuck 'em in the shed for 12 months to let them harden up, then get them fitted maybe?!? There's such discrepancies in the feedback something must be wrong with the way the tyres are being handled before being sold to some consumers.

Haven't owned them before, but am looking at new A/T tyres in the next few months - sadly, the negative feedback on forums such as this with regard to both excessive wear and poor warranty service is turning me off them as a choice. They need to back up their excellent marketing with some excellent warranty support.
AnswerID: 123526

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:35

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:35
Initially I had the same situation happen to me. After 4000km with the STT's I enquired and had the tyres inspected. I received a very off hand reply from the Cooper Rep via email. So I took them to task via email and said that if that was their attitude then they have lost my custom for ever.

The tyres have now done 20,000km and I have given them a pounding and I am quite pleased with the result so far. As mentioned before I doubt whether or not I will get 50,000km out of them. So far only two punctures and both were humungous nails picked up in our travels. Oh, I have split the inside of one tyre but also bent the rim at the same time so can't blame the tyre for that.

I think that the advertising states this or that well known Aussie who travels the outback and gets good wear from the Coopers. They propabaly do not do the trekking that you or I do and when we complain about faults, Cooper's agressively try to defend their product.

Tyres are tyres....just wait till a 4x4 version of the Tweel comes on the market.
AnswerID: 123527

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:50

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:50
~5yrs ago, CrocTyres (or similar) in WA were making Tweel design tires for 4wds'.. They had them on their Cruiser Utes on their site, but are no longer there.. Wondering if Michelin bought the design off them...

... they still make them for bobcats
FollowupID: 378544

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 11:16

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 11:16
Shaker.

This hole subject of explore oz in a 4wd seems to bring on a lot of agro. But back to your post.
I had a long discussion with a Cooper tires rep one day re "their" warranty.
I suggested that people take their warranty on face value (given they are "offroad" tiers) and don't read "the fineprint".
The rep disagreed and words to the effect "the details are there in black and white".
In defence of all tyre manufactures, we as a group can be hard on tires.
Overweight, rough roads, lower pressures (side wall flex) and high speed. Some times all at the same time.
Given that this hole experience (4wd travel) is a learning experience for a lot of us, they (the tyre manufactures) must see some horrendous things done to their tires.

Still have a problem with Coopers warranty though.

Regards

Wim
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 123534

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 11:32

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 11:32
"In defence of all tyre manufactures, we as a group can be hard on tires.
Overweight, rough roads, lower pressures (side wall flex) and high speed. Some times all at the same time.
Given that this hole experience (4wd travel) is a learning experience for a lot of us, they (the tyre manufactures) must see some horrendous things done to their tires."

Wim thats the point, these are exactly the things we do and the tyres are advertised as fit for purpose 4wd tyres, but they can't do whats advertised "Go 4wding"
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 378551

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 11:56

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 11:56
John (Vic)

Agreed. I think your words "whats advertised" is where the problem lies.
It would seem a lot of the products and services we seek these days do not live up to the advertising.

Question though. Do we expect too much some times?
Just being the devils advocate.
Still, the problems are still worth it when you get to see some of the sights we do.

Regards

Wim
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 378555

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 12:23

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 12:23
If what's avertised are not up to expectations then it's false advertising!! You're not expecting too much if it doesn't meet what's avertised!

Leroy
FollowupID: 378556

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 23:24

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 23:24
ok rephrase.... It's not what's advertised but what is stated in advertising material. Oh and that deodorant you recomended Paul works a treat!!! lol

Leroy
FollowupID: 378705

Follow Up By: Wombat - Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 13:05

Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 13:05
What was the name of that deodorant, Leigh?
FollowupID: 378781

Reply By: Ron173 - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 12:18

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 12:18
I agree, I think Coopers Warranty sucks. There seems to be a few happy users, but many frustrated unhappy ones too, which is excessive for a supposedly high end tyre which costs the earth.

If they were such good tyres, they would have few claims and immediately settle ones they did, further enhancing their product image.

I agree with above post, yes we are hard on tyres but thats why our tyres cost so damn much cos they are meant to be up for it, and some clearly arent.

What actually stopped me buying them was the capital city warranty, why should I be geographically disadvantaged on warranty??

I think its true, they only want to warrant the city boys who never venture off the blacktop, and are unlikely to have a claim, which = b/s warranty to me!

Also the rep was an arrogant pr$%k by email also!

Great forum
AnswerID: 123547

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 13:23

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 13:23
"I think its true, they only want to warrant the city boys who never venture off the blacktop, and are unlikely to have a claim, which = b/s warranty to me!"
Mate as a "city boy" I take offence at your above remark. Plenty of us "city boys" do go off-road - the real off-road not just down some dirt track. And at least one of us (ie me) have even made a claim and have received total satisfaction with the dealer's response.
So perhaps it comes down to who one deals with.
As far as I'm concerned their warranty is just fine.

FollowupID: 378568

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 19:17

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 19:17
Two words....CLASS ACTION

Get as many dissatisfied customers as you can together and put it to Coopers (through a solicitors letter) that they do not:

A: Have products fit for service in a maner alluded to in their advertising

B: Honour their stated warranty

C: Have acceptable complaint handling and resolution policies

Forward a copy of the document to the relevant state consumer affairs departments.

also www.notgoodenough.org .

FollowupID: 378659

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:48

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:48
Two words....OVERWEIGHT VEHICLES

Any defence lawyer worth his salt would instantly ask whether the said vehicles were operating within the parameters of the manufacturers' gross vehicle mass and upon hearing the answer the class action would be dismissed with prejudice.
FollowupID: 378676

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 23:30

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 23:30
Wombat,

Not all the probs are related to overweight vehicles. I reckon its the more narrow tyres like the 236/85 etc. that are more affected. A guy I know didn't have an overloaded cruiser and it ripped lugs off every tire (aussie translation - tyre)

Leroy
FollowupID: 378707

Follow Up By: Skinny- Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 12:11

Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 12:11
It would be great to see a posting of actual emails from Coopers if that were possible. Hard to just from the sidelines.
I have Coopers St's but only 10k on them so too early to tell.

SKinny
FollowupID: 378914

Reply By: baz2 - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 12:52

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 12:52
I dont plan 2 defend tyre manufacturers and in fact think that warranties in general arent worth 2 bob when push comes 2 shove.
but
there r 2 things that destroy tyres speed and pressure.
if u drop both 2 suit the conditions the your coopers will go anywhere.
i have run ST's for the last 18 months
2004 we did the kimberky and pilbura and down the west coast. no tyre probs in 16000ks
i have just got back from 6 weeks and 11500ks on the Tanami, Gibb River inc Kalumbaru, Cape Levque. Great Sandy Desert on the Kidson Track and the "chardonnay outback" on the Oodnadatta Road inc Dalhousie via Hamilton Stn and Finke 2 Alice 10 days after the desert race. a fair workout 4 tyres and the tough dogs.
i ran 22lb front and 26lb rears for most of that and my coopers r unmarked except 4 a small surface cut in one rear wall about 1" long.
we did Sandfire Roadhouse 2 Kunawarritji 680ks in 10.5hrs.so werent crawling along
some outback roads r good 4 120kph others 60/80. the secret is drive 2 the road condtions not 2 a clock.
as one old bloke said "get a tight balloon and you will break it if you put a pin near it, take a 1/2 flat balloon and you have to work had to stab it with a knife"
cubaz
AnswerID: 123552

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 13:21

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 13:21
Baz
The bloke who used to run the shop at Kunawarritji used to hammer between there and the coast. There are a few washouts and crossing that would be interesting if hit at 68 kph.
I would agree with your opening statement if you had said speed and LOAD destroy tyres. With minimal loading the tyre will retain its uninflated shape at all pressures from flat to 60 PSI. It is only when you place a load on it the the side walls start to bag and flex and generate heat. Low pressures are great for bush travel, but if you get excessive flex due to excessive loading, and then add excess speed, the tyre will likely fail before too long.
FollowupID: 378566

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 19:21

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 19:21
Baz2, for clarity's sake,

"to" not "2"
"for" not "4"
"are" not "r"
"you" not "u"

This is a forum, not a text message service...........
FollowupID: 378660

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 21:05

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 21:05
Funny how the mind works Gary. I'm a 50 yo (old fart) who has used SMS about 4 times. I read baz2's post and after reading yours had to go back and read his again to see what you were talking about. Now I see it!
Sorry to 'hijack the thread, but read this to see what the mind is capable of:

Believe it or not you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at CmabrigdeUinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the only iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod
as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

FollowupID: 378681

Follow Up By: Member - Johno (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 21:18

Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 21:18
Too funny Norm, but hey you're right I could actually read what you said easily and understand it the first time.

FollowupID: 378855

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 13:09

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 13:09
It's not just Coopers.

About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a set of Cooper STT's for my GQ. I gave them a hammering and on the trip to Cape York I had 10 punctures in 8 weeks. A mate travelling with me had none. He too had Cooper tyres.

I was dissapointed with the performance of the Coopers especially in the latter half of their life. I did not try to claim anything on warranty. After talking to heaps of people I replaced them with a set of BFG A/T's. Fantastic! I bought 3 more sets of the BFG's.

The last set expired way too quickly so I went to the local BFG dealer to show him. Again I did not ask for anything, I only wanted him to see what had happened to my tyres in 28,000km with very little off road work. His response was to call me a F&*^%$g idiot. I had obviuously abused them and he never wanted to see me in his shop again.

I spoke too the Michellin rep who also told me that the excessive wear was my fault the tyres were not designed for the kind of work I was doing with them. He said that in the last coule of years they had "softened" the tyre to make it more appealing to the mums taking their kids to school in the 4x4.

My point is this. It's not just the Cooper reps. Some of you have been poorly treated by Cooper Tyres and I have been poorly treated by BFG. I am sure there are people out there who have been well treated by both. When we spend $1500 on a set of rubber we should get good performance. If you don't take your next pile of cash to someone else.

I bought my new rubber from the same guy who sold me the BFG's (not the guy who abused me) He was embarassed by the performance of the tyre he had sold me he did a good deal on the new stuff of a different brand. He no longer sells BFG because of the poor treatment he has recieved from Michellin. THe new ones are Coopers I'll let you know how they go when I have some more miles on them, but so far I'm happy.

Duncs
AnswerID: 123557

Reply By: Rigor - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 13:34

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 13:34
Just like in 1945 the septics were over paid over sexed and over here .
I treat most products from the (marketing capital of the world) with the same contempt .
Over priced over rated and over here.

Caveat emptor especially with slick marketing.

Cheers Dave L.
AnswerID: 123566

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 14:26

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 14:26
Couldn't disagree more.

I lived in the states for a couple of years - for starters, they still have a local manufacturing base, so if you buy a product it's more likely to be US made than Chinese/Taiwanese etc. The quality of US made goods in general bleep s all over the cheap imports.

Of course US made goods are more expensive here - the US dollar is stronger than the Australian dollar, they're made in a first world country with first world costs like higher paid employees, and the shortest distance between a US and Australian port is over 12,000km.
FollowupID: 378588

Reply By: Ron173 - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 14:16

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 14:16
Hey Moose dont be sooo touchy,

read again, I said quote 'city boys who never venture off the blacktop'

Clearly youre claiming NOT to be one of this group, so whats the problem?

Its a FACT WE ALL KNOW, that thousands of city fourbies never even see a dirt road, thats what I was talking about and IMHO thats where Cooper are aiming their warranty at, so chill out n read the facts before you start havin a go!

Rgds

Ron
AnswerID: 123576

Reply By: Exploder - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 18:48

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 18:48
The cooper Warranty as I understand it is to cover manufacturing fault’s, Not if you were going down the canning with the 4WD weighing in at 3T+ with the tyres at 26PSI.

Yes that is what cooper advertises and sell the tyres for and they will do the job, but just because it has STT, ST or AT on the side it does not all of a sudden make them invisible in the bush.

We all know when you are out bush anything can happen and tyre failure is just apart of life in those conditions.

I’m not defending them I am just saying that no tyre company is going to put up a warranty on 4WD tyres to cover bush work and if you thought that is what coopers’ warranty covered you must have been dreaming.

If however the tyre failed when under the warranty guidelines I.E (Not on a bush track) or inconsistent wear/ chipping and the tyres had been at the manufactures pressure specs or from a manufacturing fault that is a hole other story and it should be warranted.

I can understand the anger as it is a lot of money, and you brought the product expecting it to preform, but are we perhaps expecting too much out of them?

I guess it all comes down to if you don’t like the product for what ever resin then don’t buy it

AnswerID: 123648

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 18:55

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 18:55
What a crock of s**t!

Why advertise them on a vehicle covered in red dust with one of the Leyland brothers kneeling beside the tyre, or this just further misrepresentation of the warranty!

The saying that "we went further than the Leyland brothers" is now part of the Australian language.
FollowupID: 378654

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 19:47

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 19:47
I agree with Shaker, total crock of....!!

never heard such a put up on a clearly crap warranty. Yes I know before you all start with ...... 'I had my Coopers replaced and I'm happy', there are a shi# load of blokes out there NOT AT ALL HAPPY! and thats what this post and follow ups is about, if youre a Coopers fan and happy fine, the real point is even with the blokes who are happy with their warranty claim, is that they shouldnt have failed in first place!!

These tyres are way overpriced for what they are, but we wouldnt mind if they lived up, they dont, and yes ok perhaps a few would be pushing their luck on claims, but come on....a very few, and judging by posts they wont pay out anyway, we dont all run the Canning with 3T + etc., How stupid would that be.. duh! these tryes are failing in even remotely hard use, and everyone is wiseing up to this that when we pay bundles of our hard earned we expect them to live up to the advertised usage which is NOT highway.

Coopers best bet would be to bin the warranty, then if your daft enough to buy em you live with it, and buy better next time gaining from your experience, and if your happy buy Coopers again.

Trouble is that way I reckon Coopers would decline rapidly, as most people stomach the overpricing with the warranty.

Anyway each to his own choice, the issue here is not the tyre, or its capabilities, but the warranty which is being used as a marketing tool not really holding water.

Rgds
FollowupID: 378663

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:19

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:19
It’s called advertising for a resin. It is not that hard to get a car covered in red dust. I bet the Leyland brother’s got a shi* load of flat’s.

Where in the warranty or on the ads does it say cooper is invincible in the bush.

If my cooper’s got trashed when out 4Wding I would not try for warranty or blame the tyre, they are AT Light truck tyres, which makes them stronger and more durable than regular tyres that IS IT.

If they failed due to a manufacturing fault or you get high wear then that is clearly a problem and you should be reimbursed or get them replaced free of charge.

Do you really buy a land cruiser thinking that if you get bitten buy a snake you will be able to flat strap it along ruff bush track’s and make it to safety without 1. Rooting the car up or 2. Killing yourself (I think we all remember the add).

Ron- every tyre company has a warranty like cooper, Cooper are the only ones who choose to advertise it-and clearly it is fooling people into a false sense of security.

How do you expect cooper to warrant tyre failure when off road, They have know idea of the conditions that caused the failure and wether the tyre was being used beyond it’s limit’s. That is why it applies only to black top use, because they know what a bitumen road is and what the condition’s are on it.

They do not know nor can they juge the condition of every bush track in the world, what are they going to do come up with a mean bush track and say right if the tyre fails on a track like this when driven at this rate in these conditions in this car we will cover you. (Think about it)

Way over priced. BFG, DUNLOP, and MICHERLEN yeah those companies’s prices are totally reasonable.

If you don’t like it don’t buy it! Tell people why Bad performance shi* handling blew the second it hit a dirt track whatever it may have been. but don’t whinge when the warranty is not payed when the tyres were used outside of the warranty conditions.

FollowupID: 378667

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:30

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:30
See what I mean ... agro!

By the way your answers are getting even more ridiculous!
FollowupID: 378669

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:36

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:36
Oh! and this straight of Cooper's Australian website:

Cooper Tyres have reinforced their legendary status for performance and durability in the harshest of outback conditions, after being used by 14 four wheel drive vehicles on the latest L.O.P.E.

So what is L.O.P.E? It's the Legendary Outback Products Expedition, where leaders in the 4WD industry test their products for two weeks in some very tough country indeed - and the Cooper Tyres have come up winners.

FollowupID: 378671

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:40

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 20:40
Hi,

read the 'Cooper St's similair experiences' thread on 1 August, just some more happy Coopers customers - NOT.

It would appear there is about a 60/40% case against here, possibly 50/50%, even if it were a 10% complaint rate, thats too much to convince me to buy, clearly on this forum, which is a good mix of Aussie drivers from all walks of life/use/ whatever, Coopers are just not cutting the mustard.

Exploder quotes
"If they failed due to a manufacturing fault or you get high wear then that is clearly a problem and you should be reimbursed or get them replaced free of charge. "

Thats exactly it mate, and it isnt happening!! read the users posts and complaints, they ARE failing for that very reason, and they are not standing by their warranty which is why everyones getting the s#*ts here about it

Before I'm stoned at dawn for daring to ridicule them by the Coopers fans, just have a read guys! there are more bleep off blokes than happy, thats not good for an average $1.5k+ so called investment in trouble free rubber.

I rest my case, the facts and numbers have spoken, the Coopers warranty is a fairytale........ lets all hope it has a happy ending!
FollowupID: 378672

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 22:22

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 22:22
As for pricing, I think $250 is pretty competitive. I don't think Coopers can be classified as overpriced by Australian or Japanese standards.
FollowupID: 378695

Reply By: S&N - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 19:16

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 19:16
i must say that so far, im happy with my new STT's. ive got a triton that i use for plumbing, which can get VERY heavy loads in the back. i just replaced the factory road tyres (HT's) which were in perfect nick. today i was coming up to a set of lights in the wet, left my breaking a little late and still pulled up with NO tyre slide/skid. with the old ROAD tyres, it whould have skidded, and had done so in the past. for a set of MUD tyres, im very happy with how they proform on the road, not to mention how good they are in the mud!
AnswerID: 123655

Reply By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 21:23

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 21:23
Struth,

This has got a bit willing.

Let's not get too personal about it, after all it is just about tyres.

Based on the feedback, I'd never buy Coopers. Wild warranty claims that are infrequently honoured, people never achieving anything like the promised mileage, lugs falling off, etc.

It's your money and your choice. For my money I'll buy elsewhere.

They appear to be a very arrogant company. They'll not get my business.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 123679

Reply By: Exploder - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 21:27

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 21:27
My hole point is if the warranty is not being payed when used under normal condition’s then that is a problem and cooper is not keeping up it’s end of the deal.

But however if the tyres are having problems when being used in off road conditions then cooper is under no obligation to replace them, and as I recall they did realise the ST were having chipping problems and they released a new ST with a different tread compound to try and fix it did it work or did it improve it in anyway????

My brother put a set on GOODYEAR Eagles GA on his car and with in a week, 2 of the tyres had bubbles in the sidewall. He went back to the tyre store they tried telling him that it was fine he then demanded to see a Goodyear rep, he came out and said not my problem you must have abused them. Cooper isn’t the only one doing this!

Where I get my tyres done the owner has fixed 2 punchers for free (Not on the coopers) and rotates my tyres for free as well, and if I did have a problem with my coopers I could almost guarantee he would do his best to get them replaced. A lot of the time it comes down to how helpful the tyre store is willing to be and how thay look after there customers

AnswerID: 123681

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 21:47

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 21:47
punchers?

Quote:
"A lot of the time it comes down to how helpful the tyre store is willing to be and how thay look after there customers"

My point .. precisely!
FollowupID: 378692

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 16:35

Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 16:35
thay? there customers?
FollowupID: 378806

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 22:58

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 22:58
Isn't it funny how 3 of the main offroad tyre manurfactures advertise.
Cooper spend heaps on advertising & offer a questionable warrenty.
BFG let their offroad racing results speak for themseves.
& MTRs with very little advertising sell like hot cakes cos they're just plain good :-)

Good tyres will sell themselves...........Craig.
AnswerID: 123711

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 23:24

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2005 at 23:24
Coopers Advertising is the problem. They promise the earth and don't deliver. I haven't used Coopers but have gone away with lots who do. Generally when the tyres are new, they are very happy. A year or two later, they are usually not, because of the wear rate, chipping and puncture rate.

And I wonder why no manufacturer will use them as original equipment.

Like Crackles says, brands like Goodyear MTR sell themselves thru word of mouth.

My current MTRs have done 35,000km of trips over a couple of years. No punctures, no sidewall problems, and still have 9-10mm tread left. And they have done the Anne Beadell twice; 3 Simpson trips including Madigan Line and Hay River, a couple of high country trips, 10 trips to the Flinders Ranges etc etc.

And as for tyre pressures, I run them low. Rather beat up the tyres, than beat up the vehicle and its occupants.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 123716

Reply By: TONY N. - Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 09:30

Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 09:30
I was looking at getting a set of Coopers tyres for my cruiser last year but was turned off when I was told by the tyre place that He could not give me a discount on the set of tyres as Coopers would not sell to him again if they found out. I thought that price fixing was not legal in this country.

Any company that has to force people to sell at a certain price has got to have other things wrong with the way they do business, as proven by some of the complaints here.

BTW I have a mate who has a set of Coopers and he would NOT buy another after 7000Klms the tyres have worn approx half of the tread depth. He now has a set of road tyres he normally uses and just uses the Coopers when he goes offroad.

I would never take the risk of buying Coopers or any other brand of tyres that had such a bad reputation as these.

AnswerID: 123759

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 13:10

Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 13:10
I bought a set a few years ago and found the same prob. I did find one dealer that would wheel and deal (pun intended) so I went with him. But it took atleast 6 phone calls before I found one.

Leroy
FollowupID: 378783

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 01:01

Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 01:01
Maybe it depends on your attitude and how you approach the problem.

If on the first approach to the dealer or to Exclusive Tyres you use the tone and agro most have used in their posts here you get treated with the same in return.

I don't know - it's just a theory.

I have had offers to replace two of my tyres as a result of lug tears I reckon were my fault in the first place. I told them (by email and again when I visted the dealer as instructed) how I thought the lug torn off may have been damaged (wheel spin on Hearn's Spur) and they said I was probably right but they'd replace them anyway. I didn't want to rip anyone off and suggested that one lug I could live with but if any more came off in the life of the tyre I'd like to take them up on the offer and that was where it was left. I still have the option but the tyres show no sign of defects.

The second was the two new tyres Pete put on the GQ before we did the Canning in May. On return (11,000km) we noticed some splitting around the circumference of the side wall on only those two new ST's. They had done several thousand of those kms with a very heavy load on.

Again Exclusive were emailed and two new tyres were on 24 hours later.

I know it is tempting to go in boots and all when there's a problem. I've done it my self. As I age though I have found that a sedate, relaxed approach gets far more customer service.

None of the problems above relate to any of my or others I know of experiences with either Coopers importer in Australia or our local dealer.

Same company so what is different - customer/approach??

Just a thought.

Dave

In both cases the usage was clearly explained and if you really want to get down to it is outside of their fine print. Didn't matter though. They just wanted me to be happy. I am and so was Pete.
AnswerID: 123898

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 10:13

Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 10:13
Well you must know somebody that I don't, I am in sales myself & fully understand the attitude required to acheive the best results in regard to complaints.
I spoke initially to supplying the tyre service who basically brushed me off.
At a later date I was at the Melbourne 4x4 show & happened upon the Australian Sales Manager, to whom I explained my problems.
His attaitude was fantastic, he told me to contact the Victorian Sales Manager, which I subsequebtly did, & arrange an inspection of the tyers at my convenience. Are you with me so far? All sounds promising?
At the meeting with the Vic Mgr, he agreed my complaint was well founded & agreed to 50% subsidy for replacement tyres, I said I will go inside, as we were at the tyre service, & order 4 new tyres. He then said, "aren't you doing anothe routback trip next year? As your tyres of no value to me, why not wear them out & get the new ones just before your trip?" I said, "if that's ok I will certainly take advantage of your generous offer" He then went in & in my presence advised the tyre service of the outcome of our meeting.
At his point we parted company in good stead.
On the way home I realised that everything had purely spoken, so I rang him the next morning & asked if I should have something in writing or a voucher, he replied it was entered in his diary & "would be no problem" & that I had his word on the matter.
A couple of months later I was leaving our campsite at Crooked River, & crossing an innocuous stretch of broken up track, level beside the river, to the amazement of those following me I destroyed both rear tyres.

This is where it gets tricky ..... When I got home I went to the tyre service to order the new tyres & they said that no way would Exclusive Tyre Service honour the warranty now, I reminded them of the earlier decision of the State Manager, & left to wait for the tyres to arrive.
To a long story well & truly short, the outcome was that the State Manager placed no value whatsoever on "his word" & steadfastly refused to honour the prior arrangement, although he had clearly stated that the old tyres were of no value to him & to "wear them out"!

As I said earlier, I am in sales myself, for the last 12 years as a yacht broker, & prior to that in the motor industry, I will also say that my word is my bond & I expect others to have the same principles.

The outcome was that I purchased Firestone Firehawk RMTs & after very similar usage, including the aforementioned outback trip, I couldn't be happier. No chipping, normal wear rate, no edge lug cracking & best of all $175.00 each!

I will never again pay the amounts demanded for cunningly advertised & overrated tyres.

FollowupID: 378898

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 10:18

Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 10:18
PS: Please excuse typos above ^^^^ I was in a hurry.
FollowupID: 378899

Sponsored Links