EvaKools on Sale

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2538 Views:4094 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Just thought I would let people know that Evakool are advertising a factory clearance. The Courier Mail has an advert offering the ED40 for $695.

This has a 28 litre fridge section and a 12 litre freezer section so you can have frozen and refridgerated food in the same unit.

Evakool are renowned for their insulation and they come with the Danfoss BD35 compressor which seems to be the standard unit worldwide – certainly in Aussie except for the Engel.

Call them on (07) 5492 7777 if you want more info.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00
Joe, I was just about to post this:
evaKool are advertising/offering in the Brisbane Courier Mail their ED40 at the steal of a deal of $695.

The ED40 Fridge/Freezer in One can be operated as simultaneous Fridge and Freezer.
The evaKool is fitted with the Danfoss BD35 compressor, and is without a doubt the most reliable unit on the market.
The evaKool is among the top performers due to the quality of their insulation. I imagine you would have to be quick at this price.

http://www.evakool.com.au/ed40.shtml
sales@evakool.com

Phone 07 5492 7777
Fax: 07 5492 7733
AnswerID: 9353

Follow Up By: Ferret - Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00
I bought an ED40 in Perth recently for $695... with the 240V thingy thrown in. More than happy.
FollowupID: 4760

Follow Up By: Terry - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:00
The quality of the evacool insulation is second to none. Evakool had there own chemists develop the foam insulation. However thats where it ends, OziExplorer, "Mr Evakool",might not agree, but I suspect there's a reason why they're giving the ED40 away.
FollowupID: 4867

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00
Terry, if they are giving them away, I would be head of the queue.
I have no idea why they have them on special. Give them a call and ask them.
FollowupID: 4877

Reply By: Member - Simon - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Hey guys, that does sound like a good deal, and I know Ozi that you have a big rap on the Evakool, but first a couple of questions.
Firstly, we are in the market for a fridge but is a 40litre fridge going to be of adequate size for 2 adults? Usually I would say yes because we normally don't go anywhere too remote, but if we were to go on a more remote trip, would it be big enough?
Secondly, what do you see as the advantages/disadvantages to separate fridge/freezer? Obviously you are able to take frozen goods but if you weren't needing to keep anything frozen can the freezer section be used as a regular fridge?
Thirdly, I have a Hilux extra cab would it be better placing the fridge in the cab or in the tray?
As you can tell I have no personal experience with these fridges so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Regards,
Simon.
AnswerID: 9354

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Yes, 40 litre is most definitely big enough. I would have bought a 40 litre, but got an excellent deal on the 50 which they had in stock. For many years we had a 36 litre.

Also depends on what you keep in the fridge. In our case we use UHT milk so only have one 1 litre carton in at a time when the fridge is full. As soon as it start to empty we put in two.

As for the freezer being able to be used as a fridge, I would say yes, but suggest you ask evaKool.
Personally we never use a freezer, as we get the meat cryovac packed at Safeway/Woolworths which lasts 30 days in the fridge part, and actually improves the meat. We buy the dehydrated peas from Safeway which are great, as that is really the only thing where the freezer would come in handy. It really is what you get used to. Probably if I had a freezer I may use it. I could turn the ED50 up to freeze if I needed to, but never have had the need. However, that would mean the whole thing would be freezer.

I would personally would place it in the cab if you have the space, but the tray would be ok. Most important thing is to secure it properly. Do you have a canopy on the tray?

I doubt these will last long as it has been so widely spread on the Internet today. I don't think evaKool will believe it tomorrow morning. If you want one, I would be on the phone first thing in the morning.
FollowupID: 4722

Follow Up By: Joe - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Simon,

There are a couple of questions there.

1) Tray or cab. Taking the easy one first – the fridge will have an easier life in the cab as opposed to being in the tray. Less heat, but more importantly less dust.
2) Separate compartments. This is a question like Toyota vs Nissan or BFG vs Cooper and it has no right answer. However, for what it’s worth, I believe that on a long trip it would be better to have one big freezer and make ice/freeze bottles of water for keeping an esky cool to store fridge type stuff. This would give you the greatest flexibility.
However, this EvaKool with its separate compartments will meet the vast majority of most peoples needs.

You can use the fridge as just a fridge – you don’t need to run the freezer. However, the reverse is not true.

Is 40 litres enough? Well yes it is if you choose your food wisely.
FollowupID: 4723

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

If your cab is a/c then the fridge won't have to work as hard if you put it in the cab (while your driving anyway).

In the tray you would need to regularly clean dust out of the compressor area (no matter what brand of fridge) to avoid heat build up. Also you'd want a good chain on the fridge in some areas to stop it wondering off.

We've had a 68 litre EvaKool for a year now and love it. With 2 adults and 2 kids we fill it close to full for long weekend trips, but it's a case of using the space coz it's there, but it's a nice luxury to have the extra space in the fridge.
FollowupID: 4724

Reply By: Member - Simon - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks you have provided me with invaluable answers.

I will definitiely be placing the fridge in the cab, when I get one. However, I have decided that despite the great price this is probably not the fridge for me. Size wise I think I would benefit more from a straight fridge of 40 or 50litre as I doubt that I would use the freezer section.

Now I just need to decide on a brand.

AnswerID: 9367

Follow Up By: Bruce - Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00
Simon..a f/f when it is being used as fridge uses very little power...we have a 60l engel f/f and used it on a trip around oz as a fridge..we had a camper trailer with a 100ah battery in it and that was any amount of power for the fridge when we stopped , the battery was recharged from the car when travelling...the advantage of an engel is that they can be connected to 12v and 240v at the same time ...helpful when you you are camping...cheers
FollowupID: 4741

Reply By: Pat - Thursday, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Joe for the rev up on the Fridge... you trying to get the Sales Manager's job?.... great sh/crap stir ..little wonker!!
AnswerID: 9370

Follow Up By: Joe - Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00
G'Day Pat.

Do I know you? Perhaps under another name?

Sounds like you think I work for EvaKool, but I am afraid that I don't. I just saw a great price on what should be a great product and thought I would broadcast it to interested people.

However, if the Sales Managers job is going ? ? ? ? ? :+)
FollowupID: 4737

Sponsored Links