engel fridge

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2581 Views:3955 Replies:11 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
How long will it run on my aux battery before i will need to recharge, it'll only be on fridge not freeze... and how long will i need to run the car for to charge the battery back-up. I am driving a 100 series any info would be great
thanks
markus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00
Pity you acquired such a power hungry poor quality fridge.

As to how long it will run, depends on what size and type of auxilliary battery you have, and secondly, what method/brand/type you have fitted to the vehicle to charge the auxilliary battery.
AnswerID: 9579

Follow Up By: Markus - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

well its a 40 ltr fridge, "they say it should cycle at about 2.5 amps" my aux battery is a ACDelco,
CCA = 730
amp hrs = 90
RC = 160 (mins)

all i wanted to know is ruff guide to how long it will take to charge ...
thanks
p.s with a name like that, you sound like Russell Koyte.....hope your advice is a little more reliable.......
FollowupID: 4907

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Inferring I am a "Russell Koyte" type is a bad insult. Yes, my advice is always reliable and trust worthy. As a matter of interest, did you actually watch that garbage "Russell Koyte" *.* for more than five minutes? (don't tell me if you did)

Here is a good URL to calculate your power requirements:
http://www.cyb.com.au/automotive/prod_info/deepcycle_calc.htm

Personally, I did not think you could buy a ACDelco battery in Australia that was a *proper* deep cycle battery. If you take a normal cranking battery and deep cycle it, you can expect very poor life out of it, as they are not designed for that application. You will be lucky if it lasts longer than 25 to 50 deep cycles, and will be very lucky to get towards the 50 mark.

You do not say what method/brand/type of equipment you have fitted to your vehicle to charge the second battery.

To date the best reasonably priced deep cycle battery we have found are the:
www.apollobatteries.com.au/spec.htm
are the 862 and 882 at the bottom of the page. These batteries are made by Global Yuasa in Korea.
FollowupID: 4911

Follow Up By: Goodsy - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

"Pity you acquired such a power hungry poor quality fridge."
I am very interested in what fridge you use after this coment OziExplorer.
FollowupID: 4921

Follow Up By: Fred - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

You won't actually find out much about what he has! That would be a positive comment! His are usually negative!
FollowupID: 4926

Follow Up By: Fred - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

You won't actually find out much about what he has! That would be a positive comment! His are usually negative!
FollowupID: 4927

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer2 - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Personally, I have found all "reasonably priced" batteries to be of inferior quality. I always go by the motto - "You get what you pay for" ie reasonable price equates to reasonable performance and that's not good enough for me!
FollowupID: 4928

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00
Godsy I use a Danfoss powered fridge now, as I am sick and tired of Engel failures and the massive cost they want to repair them.

I think with Danfoss representing 70% of the 12vDC to 24vDC market in Australia speaks volumes for their reliability.
FollowupID: 4940

Follow Up By: Tony - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

To bad OziExplorer has his head in the sand when it comes to fridges. I have two Engel's, one is 20 years old and has never missed a beat, in fact when I'm dreching cattle it rides in a trailer behind a 4 wheel bike and runs off the bike battery, ok for the couple of hours it takes to do a mob of cows and calves.
FollowupID: 4945

Tony I most certainly do not have my head in the sand. The compressor failure rate on Engel fridges is high. Just go round to a repair agent for Engel fridges. Nothing is every their problem, it is always your problem, and trying to get a warranty on Engel is very difficult.
Engel are also poor value for money compared to other brands of fridges when you compare apples with apples and size for size. Why do you think Engel is suffering such a flogging now and so many stores have dropped Engel and now selling other better quality better value fridges. Simple - Engel are not a good value buy. Because yours has kept running without a problem, is inevtitable there are a few good ones that keep going.
FollowupID: 4947

Follow Up By: Will - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

Oziexplorer,
I can only tell you from experience, in the club I belong to I have seen many danfoss failures and only one Engel failure... The engel was twenty years old.... the Danfoss ones new or almost new..
Will
FollowupID: 4948

Follow Up By: Rockhopping - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

Using the 4WD monthly fridge test as a guide- the evakool average amps drawing is rated at 1.9 and the engel at 1.6. The engel in fact rated the lowest drain of all those tested. (along with the bushman and the ARB-which is in fact engel)
How can oziexplorer rate the engel as "a power hungry poor quality fridge"????
Just sit at well 46 on the Canning, or at Purnie Bore on the Simpson and just see what fridges are being used in the real world.
FollowupID: 4950

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00
Rockhopping the Engel is 40l and the evaKool is 50 litre, you are not comparing two identical product sizes. Inevitable a larger fridge uses a little more power. 25% difference is size is significant.
Go and see what the professionals are using in the way of fridges that use them every day like the earthmoving contractors, geologists, surveyors etc. You will find the large majority are using Danfoss powered compressors. Why do you think that Engel sales have plumeted so badly lately and fewer stores are carrying Engel - overpriced and to many warranty claims and complaints.
FollowupID: 4981

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Markus, You'll find some people on this seem to take delight in putting others down .... yesterday someone who was asking for advice on GPS units was told their's was a dinosaur, today you're told your fridge is power hungry etc. I know a number of people with Engels and they are very happy. You'll have no problems with your fridge and battery for overnight stops.
AnswerID: 9585

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Mick, unfortunatly for you, sometimes the truth and facts are not what you want to hear. However, the Garmin 12 and XL12 are a dinosaur compared to the current units available.
FollowupID: 4915

Follow Up By: Mick - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Truth and facts I'm interested in. You give neither. You give your OPINIONS only. Unfortunately you often use the chance of airing your opinions to put others down. It's sad if that's how you get your pleasure.
FollowupID: 4925

Mick about time you went and sought therapy for your displayed issue.
FollowupID: 4941

Reply By: Tuco69 - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Markus, you've said that your Engel will be running as a fridge - but you haven't mentioned what ambient temperature it is likely to have to cope with. Also you havent mentioned if you have the extra Engel insulated bag.
Run time in a bag in the shade in the snow country in winter - is likely to be vastly different to in the sun in the back of a ute in summer or even in a locked closed vehicle where the ambient temperature can go over 60C easy.

Tuco
AnswerID: 9589

If you buy a quality brand of fridge, you do not need any extra bags or devices to assist to keep the fridge cool. If Engel put some quality insulation into their fridges like other manufacturers do, you would not require anything else.
Everytime you want to go into the fridge, off comes the cover, open fridge, on goes the cover.

Even if you take away the high failure rate of Engel compressors, the Engel fridges are poor value for money compared to other brands for the equivelent size.
FollowupID: 4942

Reply By: markus - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

wow, what a range of responses!!!!
well i will be using the fridge in about an avg temp of 28 well im hoping, i am tacking a trip down to esperance and will be using the fridge all day as well as night... i havn't run a fridge of the battery before, only gas. Before our engel hater ozie traveler makes a quick comment, i am in the middle of trying to find the best fridge for me, in stead of paying $1300 for the fridge to take camping i hired one for 2 weeks...costing me $90.00 i will be doing my own checs on current usage, but all i was after was someone to say, it will take you about 20 mins for your alternator to recharge your aux battery, or markus your dreaming, all i wanted was a educated response.....
cheers.
markus
AnswerID: 9593

Markus it depends on what type of system you have fitted to your vehicle how long the battery will take to re-charge. Also what size is your alternator? If you give me the numbers off the alternator I will tell you the details of it.

What about a solar panel - they are magic and is what I use.

Gas refrigeraion if you are travelling and setting up camp at one place for a week or so at a time is probably still the best and overall cheapest solution.
FollowupID: 4939

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

Markus, We have an Engel 40L and have run it overnight no problems. Only set it on "1", in the temps you mentioned. Yes we have a cover for ours, and its no drama to lift the lid to access, or repack it. Can't tell you how long it would take to recharge, as it depends on too many variables.
The use of solar panel as suggested is a good move, though they don't help much at night!! Saw a bloke a while back that had 2 large panels set up on roof bars, he had enough power there to light up a small van park! Regards...
FollowupID: 4944

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

Markus, I have a 40l Engel, two 85 ah deepcycle batteries, an inside/outside thermometer, a volt meter and a Lee Christie generator.This is one the set ups I use for refrigeration in a static camp. Up at Double Island Point two weeks ago I was running the Engel as a fridge and my Chescold as the freezer. The average daytime temp was about 32* although I did notice a 38* at one time as it was in the sun. Night time temp about 18*.The boss doesn't like the lettuce below 4* and I dont like my beer any warmer. A great arrangement. So I generally kept it between 2* and 6*. So what is the point of all this!!! The first battery started at 12.5 volts and dropped to 11.0 volts in just over 2 days. I then swap to the second battery and charge the first in about 3 hours. As the generator is just a 55 amp (I think) vehicle alternator driven by Honda engine, this answers how long will it last and how long willit take to charge. Hope this helps.
I eagerly await Ozi's put down of my information and innovative system.
Go for it Ozi'.
Mal T.
AnswerID: 9599

Follow Up By: Will - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

Well said Mal, fact is better than own's opinions of the products.

Markus,
I also have an Engel 39L and one 85ah Deep cycle aux battery, my figures are similar to Mal's.
You will find that as soon as the voltage starts to drop, so does fridge performance and from there on it is a chain reaction, you have to recharge from that point.
If you have a deep cycle battery, then it doesnt matter one bit what kind of charging system you have, because the battery will only take as much charge as its own resistance will allow, a deep cycle will take longer than a normal cranking battery but a gel battery will be quicker than both and a dry cell will take as much as the alternator will give.

If you have been discharging the battery slowly on and off (exactly what the fridge does) then it will take a long time to recharge, tests done by battery manufacturers show that it may take a good five to ten hours to fully recharge, but you can pump "some" life back in it in an hour...
but, dont expect to get another two days after an hour's recharge.
FollowupID: 4965

Follow Up By: Axel + Karen - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

Mal, just remember that Ozi is THE EXPERT on all things camping,4x4,fuel, environment,politics, electrics,ect,ect,,just ask him,he has a Phd afterall,,Oziexplorer--FIGJAM.
FollowupID: 4968

Will about time you went and did some quality research on batteries and battery types and their characteristics.
FollowupID: 4974

Axel + Karen must be a real bummer jealousy is your number one trait.
Of course, there is nothing stopping you becomming educated.
FollowupID: 4975

Mal, charging a battery with a Honda motor and alternator is dumb and stupid. You should be using a generator and three barrel regulator.
Obviously you have no idea about how an alternator or generator charges. A Lucas 22 amp generator would be substantially more efficient than your 55 amp alternator and be substantantially better for the longevity of your batteries. Amazing how easily you are sucked in by advertising and hearsay. You must be a butterfly collector!!!
FollowupID: 4976

Reply By: markus - Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks all,

well all i can say is WOW, you guys have heaps of great information... Its free to give away, and like wise free to take on-board. I could have got the information so much quiker if you dont argue against other peoples beliefs, when it comes down to it its your own opinion, everyone is entitled to there own.

thanks to you all, i think i got what i asked for...
AnswerID: 9640

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00

Marcus - have a look back through this thread and also other threads and see if you can find ANY where Axel and Karen have responded with a sensible reply. I think that you will have trouble! It seems that they get more satisfaction by picking at others who have tried to help.

Without knowing your battery size it is impossible to know your runtime or recharge time.

Don't dismiss OziExplorer as an uninformed quack - he is spot on when he says that a generator will charge the battery quicker than an alternator. Alternators are voltage regulated while generators are current regulated.

The battery will only charge as fast as its own internal resistance will allow, and as Ozi has explained - different types have differing internal resistance.

The expensive Optima range have a very low internal resistance and are widely used in ambulance vehicles for that reason. Because of the large amount of electrical equipment in those vehicles it is necessary for the alternator to be able to replace the used energy fast. These type of battery will usually fully recharge in an hour, where a depleted starting or deep cycle may take 4 to 5 hours driving to FULLY recover.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/

As you already seem to have an Engel, there is no point in trying to steer you to something else. However because the Engel insulation is a bit on the thin side, then you may help it and reduce your runtime by adding one of their insulated bags and try to keep it in a ventilated, shaded place.

I have owned Finch and Chescold 3 ways, 15 and 39 litre Engels and now have a 70 litre Evakool - and having had experience with all, can say that as far as 12v/240v fridges go, that the Evakool has a much longer runtime on the batteries than the Engel does. Probably at least 50% more. This equates to 3 days instead of 2 days. I put this down mainly to the better insulation.
FollowupID: 4990

Reply By: paul - Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00

The les christie unit is current regulated. It is a sensational unit, i suggest everyone who does not understand it look into it. I recently sold my honda Eu10i generator and used the funding to purchase two solar panels. The panels, my les christie unit, my yellow top optima battery and my second deep cycle, also an AGM, will ensure i never run out of power.
AnswerID: 9649

Follow Up By: Rox - Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00

have you got a url for this stuff as i have just bought a eu10 and allready have a 40lt engel
FollowupID: 5007

Reply By: Member - Mal - Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00

Well said Paul andOzi', thanks for not letting me down. Mal T.
AnswerID: 9662

Reply By: Blackie - Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00

I have a 30 litreCoolgardie safe (with hessian insulation) which I fix to the rear bar of my Malvern Star. My lighting requirements are met by one or two candles. I tried to use a fridge on one trip but the extension cord proved a problem in even the lightest traffic let alone a spot of rock hopping.
Could I possibly run my fridge of one of those little dynamoes that rest against the bike wheel. I guess they're would be too many variables besides I don't want to get too many new fangled gizmoes on my bike.
AnswerID: 9667

Follow Up By: Stephenf - Saturday, Dec 14, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 14, 2002 at 01:00
Blackie, I suggest that you install an array of dynamos powering several Danfoss compressors installed in your underwear. This will keep you cool and allow you to pedal faster, hence increasing the efficiency of the Coolgardie safe.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 5024

Reply By: ROX - Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00

I was told the other day at 12 volt shop 70 amps in 1 day 4 a 40lt engel . so you have just over 1.2 days supply b4 you have 2 recharge as long as you have a 2nd battery 4 starting up. Thats my situation as well, I thought that I had 3days supply,not so!!!
AnswerID: 9669

Reply By: brian - Saturday, Dec 14, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 14, 2002 at 01:00
Markus, considering all the above i think the answer to your question is simply your fridge should work for 1-2 days ,this would cover all the above variables,happy camping.
AnswerID: 9680

Sponsored Links