Arrid battery chargers

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2588 Views:3247 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is there anyone out there who has bought and used the Western Australian brand Arrid battery charger. This charger takes power from the main vehicle battery to charge a caravan or camper trailer battery while driving. I would like to know if there is any problems with reliability and their effectiveness as a battery charger for this purpose. Alternatively are there better solutions eg Rotronics? I have also got solar panels fitted but they are not of sufficient capacity to recharge the battery in a day.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00
You got a URL for this device?

What brand and type and wattage solar panels do you have?

Whose solar regulator have you got fitted?

What type and amperage battery are you charging?
AnswerID: 9614

Follow Up By: Indy - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

The URL supplier for the Arrid is www.12volt.com.au. My solar system is 2 x Solarex 48W. The solar regulator is my own constructed version 2 stage regulator (full charge and trickle charge) ( I am an electronics tech by trade). The battery is an American brand, that I cannot remember off hand, deep cycle lead acid rebadged and supplied through Comet batteries in Brisbane. The capacity is 105AH. The present method of charging the caravan battery is through an isolation diode off the main vehicle system. With diode and cable voltage drops the caravan battery cannot reach full charge.
FollowupID: 4966

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

Interesting, as if you try the URL www.arrid.com.au it takes you to a Solarex website.

Interesting device that. Not sure it is really applicable to motor vehicle and your problems.

I have 2 x BP SX60 panels, and even in winter have not run out of power. What are you using that takes so much power? I thought with my hot water system, fridge, NiMH battery charger, TV and video, car radio/CD player, charging iPaq there would be few who used as much power. In winter I do have to change my panels towards the sun, and move them three times a day to ensure sufficient charge, but to date have only had to run my generator once when the sun did not come out for ten days.

Why not just add another panel? They are cheap enough now. The BP SX 60 are just a few dollars over five hundred.

What is the distance from your existing battery and alternator to your backup battery?

FollowupID: 4971

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00

Indy.
I suggest you change your charging system to a relay to reduce the the voltage drop, the relay coil is best conected to the ignition cct and the starter cct so that it is open when starting, the small current drawn by the relay will not hold in the starter. if that does not fix the problem feed you relay contact directly from the back of the alternator as the voltage there is slightly higher than the battery. Most inverter devises are niosy and can interfear with you radio. Eric.
AnswerID: 9633

Reply By: Peter S - Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:00
Try using a rotronics mh10 smart or a smart soliniod with anderson plug to van.
This is a parallel version that is compatiable wiith solar panels.
still takes a few hours of car running to charge batt from dead flat.

also if you just park and dont start up then as quoted earlier maybe another panel would be better.

If your battery is going to be flat then i would not just parallel them up with straight connection as you will probably destroy both batteries. Remember all your Theory. The current between the two batteries will be huge till balanced.
This also causes heating in batteries bending plates shorts etc.

AnswerID: 9646

Sponsored Links