exhuast jacks

Submitted: Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2622 Views:1328 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
after looking through previous posts and talking to others i have decided a high lift jack is not appropriate (lack of suitable jack points) so now i am wondering about exhuast jacks and/or bottle jacks. i believe an exhaust jack is good for sand recovery etc. but is a bottle jack good to have as a companion. are exhaust jacks appropriate on the bitumen aswell?

thanks for your suggestions and experiences.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cruiser1 - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
Bottle jacks are great - providing you can get them under a lifting position. It can be a bit awkward if you have a puncture (or roll a tyre off a rim!) in sand. Might make it difficult to get a jack positioned without a bit of digging and re-positioning. You will also need a good base plate.

You can use an exhaust jack just about anywhere - providing you have some form of protection from sharp objects. You can use old bits of carpet, chaff bags, etc, even on the bitumen.

Like many others, I carry both and simply decide which one to use depending on the conditions at the time.....
AnswerID: 9783

Reply By: Tommyruff - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Felix, the first time i used my exhaust jack it worked fine only problem is when i deflated it i noticed it was damaged slightly from when it moved while being inflated. Make sure the protector ( carpet or whatever) is more than large enough to cover the top of it and check to see it doesn't move/slip onto sharp protrusions under the vehicle while being inflated.

Now can anyone tell me if they can be repaired using something like a vulcanised patch, or know of someone that can do a professional repair. Although mine isn't perforated it is damaged and i wonderif it can be repaired.
Or is it a cactus job?
AnswerID: 9786

Follow Up By: Johnsy - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

tommyruff a tyre patch or gator should do the trick or contact the local firies and see if they are using vinyl hose ,if they are knock with your elbows and im sure they will help you out .
FollowupID: 5102

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
Tommy,

When we were shopping for exhaust jacks recently, we noticed that most seem to come standard with a few vulcanised patches included in the kit. Guess this means tow things...1) You can expect a few punctures, and 2) Vuclanised patches will to the job to repair them.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 5116

Reply By: felix - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

thanks for all the suggestions, i now feel more comfortable about using an exhaust jack, will take a bottle (jack) aswell to be sure.
AnswerID: 9788

Sponsored Links